Tito responds to Guardiola's claims

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
FC Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova has claimed former colleague Pep Guardiola "wasn't there for me" during his rehabilitation from cancer.

In the latest chapter of what has turned into an unseemly row between Guardiola and the club he served with such distinction as coach and player, Vilanova admitted he had been disappointed by the new Bayern Munich coach's conduct.
Vilanova underwent treatment for salivary gland cancer earlier this year in New York, where Guardiola was taking a year-long sabbatical after leaving the Nou Camp hot-seat at the end of the 2011/12 season.

Barcelona president Sandro Rosell had previously suggested Guardiola had made little attempt to visit Vilanova in the United States, claims furiously contested by Guardiola, who then claimed the club were using the issue to "cause him damage".

Rosell attempted to diffuse the row on Monday night by calling Guardiola "the best manager in the history of the club" but Vilanova himself re-opened it on Tuesday.

1373975928331.jpg

Quotes from the press conference:

"People aren't interested in personal matters, but Pep got it wrong and I'm surprised by his comments"

"No-one on the board used my illness to attack him. The club tried to help me as much as possible."

"He visited me once in New York when I'd just arrived, but during my recovery from the operation... I was there for two months and I didn't see him."

"He's my friend and I needed him, but he wasn't there for me. I would have done things differently."

"I've known him for 28 years. He's my friend. I've won titles with him and we had amazing times together."

"I talked to him and told him what I intended to do. It was him who encouraged me to become Barca coach."

jamrock

yep pep already said he saw him when he could and when he didn't its because he was unable to do so.

he is a very busy man, seems certain people expected pep to be sitting at his bed side for weeks

Mr Hulot

yep pep already said he saw him when he could and when he didn't its because he was unable to do so.

he is a very busy man, seems certain people expected pep to be sitting at his bed side for weeks

Are you for real? Imagine that one of your best friends is having cancer treatment in a foreign country, all alone and you are having vacations. Would you visit him only once in months?
Is this the way you would treat a friend or are you just a Pep fanboy, trying to justify everything he does?

Mr Hulot

I wonder what Pep is going to say about this. He acted like he had a moral high ground, when his friend-journalist asked him the question about the Santos president and I was personally convinced by his answers, but now Tito is making him look like a fool.

jamrock

so what if he was having a vacation with his family he stated that's the reason he took a year off, he saw him twice that's ok, family beats best friend every time

Mr Hulot

so what if he was having a vacation with his family he stated that's the reason he took a year off, he saw him twice that's ok, family beats best friend every time

If Pep spent 1 hour every day to visit Tiito he would still have 23 hours to be with his family. Also, according to my personal moral values: friend in a foreign country trying to overcome a very serious illness>happy family seeing New York's touristic attractions.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Can't imagine Pep will take the bait but this is already a bad sequence of events that benefits few at the club

ebc_99

Can't believe people are defending Pep, they have know each other for nearly 30 years since La Masia and experienced their greatest professional successes together. And then Tito got sick had to go to a foreign country to undergo treatment for 2 months and by coincidence Pep is in the same city on vacation and yet he doesn't find the time to visit his old friend.

I feel sorry for Tito that he found out like this that Pep is not a real friend.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Can't believe people are defending Pep, they have know each other for nearly 30 years since La Masia and experienced their greatest professional successes together. And then Tito got sick had to go to a foreign country to undergo treatment for 2 months and by coincidence Pep is in the same city on vacation and yet he doesn't find the time to visit his old friend.

I feel sorry for Tito that he found out like this that Pep is not a real friend.

Oh please stop acting like you're "in on this" and know all about Tito and Pep's relationship. I really doubt that you can declare that two people who have worked together for almost 3 decades aren't true friends and that Pep is heartless for this. You're honestly going on to make the massive assumption that "Pep is not a real friend" when you know nothing about either of them and even Tito says now that they are still great friends with a great history?

Zuess99

Maybe pep doesn't see tito as a real friend maybe just a normal friend. What if pep is sensitive to see somebody in critical condition? Who are we to judge, we do not know the full extend of their relationship.

Home of Barca Fans