If YOU could change the Rules of Football?

If YOU could change the Rules of Football?

• Make goals bigger

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Video replays for officials. Referrals for clarification.

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Challenge system for "incorrect" decisions. Set number of challenges each team, per match.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Independant time-keeper. Stop the clock each time there is a stoppage in play.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Retrospective punishment. A citing panel for post match disciplinary.

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • Foul-count. Amber Card, to reduce tactical fouls. (e.g. 15 mins Sinbin for persitant minor fouls)

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Players guilty of directly injuring an opponent should be banned for as long as victim is out.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • A freekick awarded from the D (edge of box), if a player is adjudged to have dived or time-wasted.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Penalty awarded for shirt pull in the box. Even if it means giving 10 in a match.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Do away with Penalty Shootout (Tell us your recommendations to replace it)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • For Cup games (knockout-phase), if score is level at FT, play until the game is won.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Yellow Card ONLY for denying a goal scoring opportunity in box, unless it's a professional foul.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Allow physio during open play to treat injured players, like in Rugby.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Dispose of Away Goals in Extra-Time only.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Dispose of Away Goals altogether.

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

ceefoo

So, what would be possible fair solution for this problem? Or do you think that sidelining opposition player, who can't be replaced, is sort of ok (as the rule stand as it is). For example, if keeper can't continue, they have to find replacement for him in the team on the pitch. Because of necessity they had to find a solution.

It's a hard one to resolve. I would like to hear more ideas how this rule could be changed. 4th sub or taking "foulie" out of the game (obviously) aren't good solutions.
Retrospective punishment could help, but it wouldn't help a team in that particular game.

I'm trying to think of a way that it can be dealt with on the day, without it being abused by unscrupulous individuals. Anyone?

In a way the same problem is highlighted when a player gets Red Carded for retaliating to provocation. The cowardly player who instigated the attack with a sneaky rake down the back of the Achilles gets away with a yellow, while the innocent party gets sent off for retaliating.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Diving should be punished. I voted post match review to punish players for bad behaviour during matches especially, diving.

BerkeleyBernie

One possibility with "team fouls" is moving free kick restarts to anywhere on the field the fouled team chooses outside of the opponent's 18 yard box. This would take away some of the advantage gained by "professional" fouls to stop counterattacks.

Adnan

One possibility with "team fouls" is moving free kick restarts to anywhere on the field the fouled team chooses outside of the opponent's 18 yard box. This would take away some of the advantage gained by "professional" fouls to stop counterattacks.

Good one.

Adnan

In a way the same problem is highlighted when a player gets Red Carded for retaliating to provocation. The cowardly player who instigated the attack with a sneaky rake down the back of the Achilles gets away with a yellow, while the innocent party gets sent off for retaliating.

I agree. Complaining to the refs shouldn't be carded ever. Having said that, only player in question and captains should be allowed to talks to referees.

Aasim

Bumbleman
I agree. Complaining to the refs shouldn't be carded ever. Having said that, only player in question and captains should be allowed to talks to referees.

Or we could take a page out of Rugby's book and have the ref mic'ed up so we can hear what is said. May make players think about what they will say to him and in what manner.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
The referee being on mic is an extremely good idea. Should be done so that everyone knows what is said and why its said.

Adnan

Video replays.

That would never work. First of all, those rules you can't implement it everywhere. Rules of the game should be the same everywhere.

Another thing, camera doesn't see everything.

But, regarding video replays. What UEFA could do is, to organize few friendlies with a "challenges" rule (like in tennis). Lets say, every team has right to challenge three times during the game.

I'm not sure how offside rule would work for attacking team, if video shows that referee called it wrong.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
That would never work. First of all, those rules you can't implement it everywhere. Rules of the game should be the same everywhere.

Another thing, camera doesn't see everything.

But, regarding video replays. What UEFA could do is, to organize few friendlies with a "challenges" rule (like in tennis). Lets say, every team has right to challenge three times during the game.

I'm not sure how offside rule would work for attacking team, if video shows that referee called it wrong.
Too many bad decisions in the game nowadays warrants video replays in my opinion.

footyfan

Calma, calma
"Players guilty of directly injuring an opponent should be banned for as long as victim is out" got 16 votes :lol:

inb4 Iniesta "injures" Nacho and Nacho is out for 8 months.

Sallou

--In competitions with away goal rule, the rule only applies UNTIL THE END OF 180 MINUTES. Definately agree with this.
(otherwise a team is getting a half hour extra to get a double-counting goal. And away goal is meant to highlight who was goal-statistically better overall over two 90 minute legs- with the same score after 2 games the rule shouldn't be implemented anyway).

--Refs should be allowed to book a player for 'diving'-but-with-contact, simulated or exaggerated falling in the box, AND still give a penalty or FK, not necessarily one or the other.
Examples: In cases where there WAS contact or intent, but the attacker throws themselves from outside the box to inside the box deliberately trying to falsely win a pen instead of fk- they can be booked as well as the fk being given in their favor.
Or, slight contact or intent, enough to slightly unbalance if even that- which is a fk/penalty remember, even if a soft one- and the attacker doesnt fall-- but then a split second later falls. Or, there was cynical intent from the defender, with only the slightest contact, just about enough to warrant a foul, but the attacker throws themselves with 50 tumbles. Foul given- yellow still shown to attacker for exaggeration , unsportsmanlike behaviour, dishonesty, whatever.

Yellows can be shown for persistent diving or simulation (all over the pitch not just in the box) similar to persistent fouling. Ref has a warning then books them. I know this US a rule but it is nowhere near close to being enforced.

I honesty believe that if refs were showing yellows for cheating and diving OFTEN, it would dramatically decrease.

--A dive in the box is an automatic yellow without exception, no warnings. If a cynical foul is then this should be too.

--Head to head is the most fair and logical points tie breaker. I think all competitions should implement it.

Straight reds should be given for intent even without ANY contact. If the ref deems a player to have intentionally tried to seriously hurt another player, whether contact was made or not; off.

--Post match review for diving and giving serious punishment.

--Yellow cards for unsportsmanlike behaviour (diving, spitting, persistent simulation, etc) will have their own accumulation.
You receive a game ban for a certain amount of total yellow cards accumulated, as normal- but receive an additional game ban when u accumulate 5 yellows (or whatever number) for unsportsmanlike acts.

So basically everytime you hit the normal Accumulated card number it's a ban- but seperately also if you accumulate a number of those unsportsmanlike ones. We tally all yellows and also specifically unsportsmanlike yellows each with a ban after a certain number. You could end up doing two games banned in a row, if your booking that reached the normal ban number was also a dive that reached the unsportsmanlike number too.

Not kidding. This would stamp out a lot if crap quickly. A benefit is that it's specifically shaming players fir engaging such behaviour. Imagine serving a ban for being booked repeatedly for unsportsmanlike behaviour. even saying it sounds embarrassing. It might help with players who dive.

-- No rebounds on penalties. You either score, have it saved or miss. It ends with that. If no goal game resumes with a goal kick

Last edited:

Alarcón

Abolition of the away goal rule. Video replay or something similar. Changing the throw-in to a "kick-in" (with limitations, of course).

Home of Barca Fans