Tiki Taka needs to evolve

Jadentheman

Let's face it the game is ever changing and you can only keep on doing the same things for so long. While in the beginning when Tiki Taka has reached the high profile of the world, no one knew how to stop. However recently we had more and more teams in CL and in La Liga that know how to nullify our play. Now it's also effecting the National Spanish team as they struggled against Italy and got totally decimated by the kings of football, Brasil. How does Barcelona and to a lesser extent Spain go on and grow while keeping it's philosophy? Personally I think they need to be a little more direct and a little more high tempo. With youngsters like Thiago and Isco in the midfield. And with players at Barcelona like Neymar and Messi who can really capitalize on counters, it's not too hard to figure something out.

Ursegor

World Champion
People can say what they want. 2 days rest after 120 minutes against Italy (Torres was dead on his feet after 90 minutes against Italy, Chiellini was fighting with cramps) in conditions with 90 % humidity was the main reason for this outcome. The difference of freshness between Navas who barely played and looked super lively and the rest of the usual starters who looked totally knackered was astonishing. Pretty much what happened against Bayern too as Tito stated. Neither Brazil nor Bayern are as good as they looked against Spain and Barca. #FACT

F

Flavia

People can say what they want. 2 days rest after 120 minutes against Italy (Torres was dead on his feet after 90 minutes against Italy, Chiellini was fighting with cramps) in conditions with 90 % humidity was the main reason for this outcome. The difference of freshness between Navas who barely played and looked super lively and the rest of the usual starters who looked totally knackered was astonishing. Pretty much what happened against Bayern too as Tito stated. Neither Brazil nor Bayern are as good as they looked against Spain and Barca. #FACT

This is true. Italy today was also dead at half time.

The south american teams will have a great advantage playing here next year. The heat will play a big part.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Having 3 good forwards is the key, focussing centrally while having useless players on the wing who can't threaten and keep the backline away is what's wrong currently with Spain and Barca

Ursegor

World Champion
The south american teams will have a great advantage playing here next year. The heat will play a big part.

Yeah, there is a reason why no European team has ever won a World Cup on a non-European continent (bar Spain in 2010 but that was one of the coldest periods in South Africa AFAIK).

Alik

I posted this elsewhere. But maybe Del Bosque was trying to evolve? Say what you like, but this performance wasn't just due to better opposition. One reason was due to decline of Xavi, but the other reason was a slight change in tactics. This applies to Barca too.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Although I do agree with Ursegor...

The reason tiki-taka has slumped is not so much what goes on on the football pitch, as to what goes in the player's and manager's heads. More specifically, arrogance. Managers who overplay their starters expecting them to be good regardless, using the same tactics even when they obviously aren't working, cocky players who don't try because they think they'll win anyway, half-efforts when they're losing because it's only the Confederations Cup... It's not the strategy that needs to change, it's the attitude of the players and managers. We need to see that hunger again, that fire, that desire inside of them to win and to show the world the power of tiki-taka at its best. If that happens, then I guarantee that my signature will come true. ;)

Last edited:

Stric

First sensible post I've seen after today's CC final. It boggles my mind how more people haven't figured out that the Spain-Italy game was the primary reason behind today's perfomance.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Doesn't change the fact that tiki-taka DOES need to evolve. Spain are obsessed with putting mids all over the pitch just to improve their link-up play.

As international teams catch up to club teams on how to play vs tiki-taka, Spain will lose their dominance. Italy themselves should really have won the semi-final.

serghei

Although I do agree with Ursegor...

The reason tiki-taka has slumped is not so much what goes on on the football pitch, as to what goes in the player's and manager's heads. More specifically, arrogance. Managers who overplay their starters expecting them to be good regardless, using the same tactics even when they obviously aren't working, cocky players who don't try because they think they'll win anyway, half-efforts when they're losing because it's only the Confederations Cup... It's not the strategy that needs to change, it's the attitude of the players and managers. We need to see that hunger again, that fire, that desire inside of them to win and to show the world the power of tiki-taka at its best. If that happens, then I guarantee that my signature will come true. ;)

And who's gonna bring that hunger back? Tito? Roura? :) Let me be skeptic.

serghei

Having 3 good forwards is the key, focussing centrally while having useless players on the wing who can't threaten and keep the backline away is what's wrong currently with Spain and Barca

True. Having poor wingers and poor defence all around means that the midfield is helpless.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I hope that the players themselves want to win too, and it wasn't just motivational speeches driving them in our sixtuple season...

oz187

Doesn't change the fact that tiki-taka DOES need to evolve. Spain are obsessed with putting mids all over the pitch just to improve their link-up play.

Except they did the opposite this tournament and instead of playing mids they decided to play Torres. If they go back to double pivot with a false 9 to get control of the game and also give Alba more freedom to support the attack then you'd see a totally different performance.

Home of Barca Fans