Adrián Bernabé

Jallo

You can't move specifically for football, but if your parents move there's nothing stopping you.

Yeah, if your parents just randomly get a job in Manchester. Say coaching Man City youths, nothing for FIFA or UEFA to investigate. Just saying :coffee::coffee:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Fran Gonzalez had a meeting with the club recently and it was reported they agreed on that it was in Nico's best interest to continue at Barca.

So you guys don't have to worry about that.

And Pep is the one who appointed him for City so it's not entirely random. He's going to be a part of City's 1st team management too.

God Serena

Yeah, if your parents just randomly get a job in Manchester. Say coaching Man City youths, nothing for FIFA or UEFA to investigate. Just saying :coffee::coffee:

Getting a job in Manchester is a perfectly legitimate reason to move to Manchester. Most households don't revolve around the club their kids play for, and there's really not much to investigate when a kid is going from one big club to another.

messi1995

This kid is special. I know its still early but this kid is very good. He's 16 and still short. Lets hope we keep produce short CM. Hopefully he will be from 165-175, not over that in the future.

tacticvarium

I agree that he is the most interesting CM/AM talent after Aleñá along with Robert Navarro (b. 2002) and Xavi Simons (b. 2003).
But short height does not guarantee close control. Multiple factors contribute to close control such as whether you have low center of gravity, physical balance, skilled footwork and footballing intelligence as well. If a player is gifted and mature in all those factors, he is most likely to become a world class or more.

messi1995

When you are short it's easier to controll the game because you will have better balance. Just look at players like Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago, Modric, Veratti, Seri, Cazorla, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Coutinho, Isco. They are all short players. Imagine players like Rakitic and Gomes controlling the game? Loool, impossible because they are too tall with their long legs. If you have the technical abilities with strong mentality, then you have everything to become a world class CM. You don't have to be physically strong because your body will automatically grow every year.

Yes ofc you can be taller than 175.. players like Kroos, Pjanic, Koke, Jorginho, Kevin de Bruyne, Ozil, Eriksen, Fabregas, Vidal, Herrera, Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, James Rod and Kovasic are all taller than that. Even Aleña is taller than that, but he's only 180 like Kroos and Koke f.ex. I think it's disgrace to be tall like Raktic, Gomes and Pogba. Key to success as a CM is being short like Xavi and Iniesta, but 180CM is ofc acceptable. Tall players will never be a controlling CM because they don't have the ability to be that with their long legs. So Yes I hope La masia continue to produce short central midfielders. I refuse to believe that a 190CM tall player succeed in Barca as a central midfielder.

And when it comes to Adria, he has everything a CM needs to succeed in Barca. Just need to grow more, keep working and remain with strong mentality.

Last edited:

tacticvarium

Tall players will never be a controlling CM because they don't have the ability to do that with their long legs.

I guess you haven't read my comment carefully. It also seems you have only started watching football since Barcelona/Spain domination (2008-10ish?) but there are plenty of tall players in football history who were able to control the tempo with superior techiques. We don't have to go too far since there are already close examples like Cruyff (who were more controlling AM/CM/#10 role during his twilight years as a player), Pep (mix of Xavi-Busi style), Zidane (during Madrid days), Xabi Alonso and also Andrea Pirlo (who is almost 1.80m) etc. There were also players who were great CM/AM though they might not be a maestro-type-player such as Gullit (who was an upgraded version of Pogba), Rijkaard (also upgraded version of Toure), Zico etc.

I understand why you're so fond of short players and I know they are more likely to have low center of gravity than tall players but again that's not only factor which contributes to precise ball control and being a controlling midfielder type of player is actually another story.
It's also wise to avoid hasty judgment on players. There were just countless players who seemed impossible to fail haven't reached their full potential even regardless of their own individual qualities or mentality.

messi1995

You missed my point. Yes, I think tall players can play well as a CM but not in our system, especially when they are not from la masia. I think you misunderstood what I tried to say. I believe that in our system tall players won't succeed as a CM. I think short players fit our playing style more. Would you have a 2 meter tall Peter Crouch as a CM for us? No you wouldn't.

If you read my previous comment, I said 1.80m Wasn't that tall. And players you mentioned like Pep and Xabi Alonso were defensive midfielders, not CM. Pirlo wasn't that tall either, he was only 1.78. Zidane is the only exeption here because he was class, but I don't think he would fit in Barca. When it comes to Zico, Gullit, Rikjaard I can't tell because I never watched them play. And No I've watched football since 2002 and my conclusion is short players would fit best in Barca, especially if they are from la masia. Players like Aleña, Pirlo, Koke, Pjanic, Kroos will all fit in Barca even when they are 1.80m, but would have prefered short players. Just look at Messi, Xavi and Iniesta: they are all pure magic and only 1.70m. I think their movement, ball controll, balance are way better because they are short. Can you name me one tall CM you would prefered in our starting lineup today? There are not many, because you need a controller. Pogba is good even when he's tall, but can he offer controll in Barca? Nope, not at all. Thiago, Modric and Veratti would and how tall are they? One is 1.73, the other one is 1.74 and the last one is 1.65.

But I also prefer Aleña, Koke, Kroos because they are all world class CM which can offer controll. Not many tall players have the ability to do that. Understand me?

Last edited:

Jallo

When you are short it's easier to controll the game because you will have better balance. Just look at players like Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago, Modric, Veratti, Seri, Cazorla, David Silva, Bernardo Silva, Coutinho, Isco. They are all short players. Imagine players like Rakitic and Gomes controlling the game? Loool, impossible because they are too tall with their long legs. If you have the technical abilities with strong mentality, then you have everything to become a world class CM. You don't have to be physically strong because your body will automatically grow every year.

Yes ofc you can be taller than 175.. players like Kroos, Pjanic, Koke, Jorginho, Kevin de Bruyne, Ozil, Eriksen, Fabregas, Vidal, Herrera, Yaya Toure, Fernandinho, James Rod and Kovasic are all taller than that. Even Aleña is taller than that, but he's only 180 like Kroos and Koke f.ex. I think it's disgrace to be tall like Raktic, Gomes and Pogba. Key to success as a CM is being short like Xavi and Iniesta, but 180CM is ofc acceptable. Tall players will never be a controlling CM because they don't have the ability to be that with their long legs. So Yes I hope La masia continue to produce short central midfielders. I refuse to believe that a 190CM tall player succeed in Barca as a central midfielder.

And when it comes to Adria, he has everything a CM needs to succeed in Barca. Just need to grow more, keep working and remain with strong mentality.

Sergio Busquests disagrees

tacticvarium

I generally agree with your point that only certain type of players would fit well into Barça system but I would not limit it to just height because it's the matter of philosophy. Cruyffism does not demand players to be physically strong or tall (when it comes to midfielders especially) since intelligence and technique are what matters most but that doesn't mean they have to be short. It's more correct to say that players are okay to be short.

Home of Barca Fans