Adrián Bernabé

messi1995

Imagine believing a tall players can play like Xavi or Iniesta. Would like to see a 2m tall CM play for us one day.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Sergio Busquests disagrees

Busi is one of the few exceptions. I can say from personal exp that height tends to effect your play alot. I used to be 5'6" and a good CM player then I had a growth spurt and now stand 6'1", I lost what could be described I think as my balance which effects the ability to control the ball effectively, so I now play a CB instead of CM. I know its not the best example, but it hopefully shows height can matter a great deal.

khaled_a_d

Busi is one of the few exceptions. I can say from personal exp that height tends to effect your play alot. I used to be 5'6" and a good CM player then I had a growth spurt and now stand 6'1", I lost what could be described I think as my balance which effects the ability to control the ball effectively, so I now play a CB instead of CM. I know its not the best example, but it hopefully shows height can matter a great deal.

Shorter guys have higher chance of having lower center of gravity,but to call Busquets as one of "few" exceptions isn't true at all.
Both Ronaldo and Cr7 was one of the most technically talented players ever (many forget how talented was Cr7 when he was younger) and they are both 6ft or above. Pep, Ballack (he was our first option in 2004 before Deco),Pogba,Busquets, Zidane,Laudrup were really talented midfielders. Robben was one of the most technically gifted wingers of his generation and he 5'11

Last edited:

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Shorter guys have higher chance of having lower center of gravity,but to call Busquets as one of "few" exceptions isn't true at all.
Both Ronaldo and Cr7 was one of the most technically talented players ever (many forget how talented was Cr7 when he was younger) and they are both 6ft or above. Pep, Ballack (he was our first option in 2004 before Deco),Pogba,Busquets, Zidane,Laudrup were really talented midfielders. Robben was one of the most technically gifted wingers of his generation and he 5'11

its like this, pick a 100 short and 100 tall players and there will be majority short player with low center of gravity and about half or less tall players with low CoG

Zinedinho

Fernando Redondo controlled the ball like it was glued to his feet and his balance was top notch, Van Basten was a striker who looked like a midfielder when he had the ball, Figo is one of the best wingers of all time, and he wasn't short either. And so on.

We get it, a low center of gravity helps with balance, and I really like the idea of having short and smart players, even if there's always a trade off with these things, but Messi1995 is putting the cart before the horses: he's looking at height instead of looking at overall performance, and that's a very reductionist way of valuing what a footballer has to offer.

Zinedinho

By the way, I tend to think Bernabé's ideal height is around 1,70, so I'm with Messi1995 here. However, you never know. I've been following Aleñá for several years, and back when he was 15 or 16 he was a small player. I remember they even compared him to Maradona because of his curly hair, being left footed, the position and role, the ability... of course, no one took that comparison too seriously, they were casual comments that made sense. Back then, maybe it looked like it was best for him not to grow, because he was already very good the way he was, but he did. He's a different player now. Of course! We're talking about 15, 16 year olds! The good thing about his growth is that he's a stronger player, with more power, and he still has a very good balance, in fact better than anyone except Iniesta in the CM position. So, in his case, there are more pros than cons to his growth, IMO.

messi1995

Nono I'm not saying you have to be short to succeed in Barca.. what I'm saying is it's easier to play way better if you are short. Imagine if Messi was 1.85m like Ronaldo? He would never play like he's doing right now. You think a 1.85m tall player can dribble 5 or 6 players? It's impossible because they don't have the balance to do that. Messi can do way more damage because he's short. The only think Ronaldo can do better is scoring headers. Messi can create chances, dribble and score. I just hope Adria stays 1.70 and keep his technical abilities + have the right mentality..

Why can't Ronaldo beat 4-5-6 players? He's one of the best fotball player of all time, but can't do what Messi does. Can't imagine a tall Messi, he would never have that balance he has now.

But I'm understanding what you are saying. Anybody can succeed with technical abilties and right mentality. Being tall doesn't matter, but I hope Adria stays short.

khaled_a_d

Imagine if Messi was 1.85m like Ronaldo? He would never play like he's doing right now. You think a 1.85m tall player can dribble 5 or 6 players?

Ronaldo (the original one) could do it at 1.83 , so answer is yes and it is proven before.
Never mind CM doesn't need to dribble 5 players. Zidane is an all time great at 1.85

messi1995

Few player could do what Ronaldo da Lima did. Not many tall players can do that, but I can mention plenty of short players that can do something similar or close.

Last edited:

messi1995

There is no way I want my boy Bernabe playing for the first team under Bartomeu.. Samper out now.. so fucking bad!!

messi1995

Carles Aleña interviewed by sport.

SPORT: who do you think will play for the first team apart from players from Barca B and Juvenil A?

Aleña: I can say plenty of players because we have the best academy but I have to go for Bernabe. Him, Gomes and Orellana have a big chance to be promoted. I believe Bernabe will be one of the best player in the world because I really enjoying watching him play. His passes, vision, technic and his football intelligence are the best thing about him.

Last edited:

God Serena

Carles Aleña interviewed by sport.

SPORT: who do you think will play for the first team apart from players from Barca B and Juvenil A?

Aleña: I can say plenty of players because we have the best academy but I have to go for Bernabe. Him, Gomes and Orellana have a big chance to be promoted. I believe Bernabe will be one of the best player in the world because I really enjoying watching him play. His passes, vision, technic and his football intelligence are the best thing about him.

That could potentially become one of the interviews football fans look back on in awe when both of them are flying high with a post-Barca Messi one day in the future... At least, in my dreams, anyways.

Home of Barca Fans