Flavia

Full name: Jérémy Mathieu
Date of birth: 29 October 1983 (age 29)
Place of birth: Luxeuil-les-Bains, France
Height: 1.92 m (6 ft 4 in)
Playing position: Left back/CB
Current club: Valencia

347xxrl.jpg

Mathieu has being heavily linked to Barça the past few days. He's also said he'd like to go to Barça. This season he played as cb for valencia, and was decent. But I'm not sure he is what Barça needs.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
He can add depth to our team but I don't see him as a CB option on a weekly basis. He would be a great replacement for Abidal and can play at either CB and LB. He can be used when the club incurs injuries and it's bound to happen every year at some point.

If he's signed, the club still needs to go after another CB.

Mundo Deportivo has speculated that the price can go down to as little as 4M for him. Wouldn't be a bad signing at that price.

Last edited:
I suppose he wouldn't be bad as a backup, but I'd go for a world-class or potential world-class CB and a GK first, and then we can think about getting Mathieu if we have money left over.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
I'd rather have players from La Masia as backup if they are not good enough the be starting material. Why on earth would you splash 10M or so on a defender if he is not worthy of a first XI spot anyway? We still have Bartra who has shown he may not be world class but still has a lot of potential. In any case I'd give Bartra the 3rd/4th CB spot.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I'd rather have players from La Masia as backup if they are not good enough the be starting material. Why on earth would you splash 10M or so on a defender if he is not worthy of a first XI spot anyway? We still have Bartra who has shown he may not be world class but still has a lot of potential. In any case I'd give Bartra the 3rd/4th CB spot.

Bartra looked terrible. Mathieu is a much tougher, grittier player than he is. I would be much more comfortable with him out there than the soft Bartra if/when the club incurs injuries.

The MD report claims he can bought from 4 to 5M, not 10M.

I really don't see why adding depth to our club can be a bad thing? Barca's overall depth was paper-thin this past season.

Last edited:

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
First and foremost: because it costs you money big time. You may believe Bartra looked terrible, I did not think that was the case. He is good enough for a La Liga midtable team, hence he would be good enough for us to fill the team's open 3rd/4th spot at CB. That 4-5 to 10M, so let's say 7M, you can keep in your pocket to increase the budget to actually buy a CB that would be our 1st or 2nd choice. Depth in the squad is nice, but not at the cost of everything.

Why bother even having La Masia if you are going to buy squad fillers from other teams anyway? I don't see the point, it's not like Mathieu is going to bring home the championship any more than Bartra would.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
First and foremost: because it costs you money big time. You may believe Bartra looked terrible, I did not think that was the case. He is good enough for a La Liga midtable team, hence he would be good enough for us to fill the team's open 3rd/4th spot at CB. That 4-5 to 10M, so let's say 7M, you can keep in your pocket to increase the budget to actually buy a CB that would be our 1st or 2nd choice. Depth in the squad is nice, but not at the cost of everything.

Why bother even having La Masia if you are going to buy squad fillers from other teams anyway? I don't see the point, it's not like Mathieu is going to bring home the championship any more than Bartra would.

We'll have agree to disagree on Bartra, I thought he looked soft and absolutely dreadful paired up with Pique. I never thought he looked great with Barcelona B either. I really don't see any reason to move forward with him.

I was hoping the club went after 2 new CBs this summer. I really don't see how a transfer for Mathieu inhibits the club from going after a world-class CB.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
I agree Cisco although I'm less negative on Bartra - to that end, I think we're getting sidetracked going on about Bartra...Mathieu shouldn't, in any way, hamper the club from the pursuit of a 'WC' CB...Problem, irregardless, will be what world class CBs are going to be available and in the club's price range

I like Mathieu's grit, experience in La Liga, versatility, speed and size...Plus, he's a leader and a defense can never have too many leaders...Him & Alba were terrific in tandem

Question is, could we be ok with him wearing #22?

Last edited:

Rival

Most of the times I am all in for youth, but Bartra doesn't convince me either. Either way I am not so sure about Mathieu, I rather do not have him coming -- as to be realistic he will not strengthen our first team. If we do sign a world class CB besides him, then as a back-up it might be OK. I still do not see the point to waste 8M though.

Arachnid

Yay! Another attacking midfielder to play off position! The dream of having a team comprised 100% of mid fielders nears!

Maria

This buy would made more sense if Rosell wouldn't have extended Adriano's contract until 2017.

We'll have agree to disagree on Bartra, I thought he looked soft and absolutely dreadful paired up with Pique. I never thought he looked great with Barcelona B either. I really don't see any reason to move forward with him.
When did he looked soft? In the 300-400 minutes he played in La Liga or when Tito threw him completely unprepared against Bayern? And how did the rest of the defenders looked this season? I tell you..awfull. So either they are all bad(in which case we need a starter, not another converted CB) or the system is at fault(and then I doubt that buying Mathieu is going to fix it).
And anybody knows just how many times Mathieu has played at CB?

I was hoping the club went after 2 new CBs this summer. I really don't see how a transfer for Mathieu inhibits the club from going after a world-class CB.
I wish I could be this optimistic as you..

Last edited:

impeh

Hi, its me..
not the world class CB we were hoping for.. so i guess we'll probably end up with him :lol:

i thought he was a left back, him and alba overlapping used to destroy us when we played valencia. :cry:

Galning

Mathieu isn't a bad player but we already have Adriano & Montoya as back-ups. He isn't a real CB either, again, so why buy him as a backup CB?

Antimadridista1

I think that he was better than Pique this season, with Valencia. He was particularly good against Paris Saint German.
Anyway, for 5m, I would say go for it right now.

Home of Barca Fans