National Team Support

How do you view your support on the International level?

• I support Spain and will support Spain regardless if Catalonia fields an official FIFA team.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I support Spain, but if Catalonia is allowed a team recognized by FIFA then I will support them.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I do not support Spain because I believe Catalans should protest the national team.

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • I do not support Spain. I support another nation.

Votes: 25 44.6%
  • I do not care about International football.

Votes: 3 5.4%

• Total voters

BlaugranaInTheUSA

Being in the USA, obviously I can never have a say in the Catalan rights for independence because I don't live in Catalunya. I don't breathe the culture and speak the language like most of my FC Barcelona fans/counterparts. I do have the utmost respect for Catalans and their fight for independence, but how does this effect your support for the Spanish national team? I, myself, have found myself over the years supporting Spain and it's Catalan representatives... especially with the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Puyol, etc all that came from La Masia. (Yes I understand that Iniesta was not born in Catalunya, but even he himself has considered himself "Spanish and Catalan." When it comes to national teams, I obviously support my home country in the USA squad, but love to keep up with Spain because of the Barca/Catalan players. What is your opinions?

Last edited:

footyfan

Calma, calma
Option F: I support Spain right now, but in general I will support the team that plays the most beautiful football.

F

Flavia

I supported spain on the last wc. For the 2014 wc, I'm supporting argentina. I don't really care for nts though, or I'd support my country :p

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I support Spain because I'm Spanish. I have Andalusian blood flowing through my veins.

I support Barcelona because I was born there and I have always loved the football pedigree that the club stands for.

XaviMessiGirl

I picked the second one. On an international level I just support players I like & since a lot of Barca players play for Spain then I cheer for them. I cheer for Italy & Argentina too because they also have players I like. I'm not very patriotic so I don't care about USA (apparently that is a sin to a lot of people but I don't care).

But if somehow Catalunya were ever allowed to compete officially then I would care a lot more about Catalunya than Spain. Catalunya would feel more "Barca" anyway.

ViscaBarca914

BLASPHEMY!
I support Spain because I have spanish heritage as well as enjoying their football to a high level. I support beautiful football in general though. Unfortunately my country (USA) plays pretty terirble football lol.

JonM

I consider Spain my adopted national team because of Barça, because I like the country and because my own national team never qualifies for anything, and frankly I don't care for it anyway.

I'd probably root for Catalunya if it gained independance, but I wouldn't see Spain as the "enemy".

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Even being part Basque, I feel absolutely no obligation to uselessly bring political disputes into football. Players don't care for that much either, and will happily serve the NT despite having Catalan or Basque blood.

Even if Catalunya were to have a recognized NT, I'd support Spain since international football is what brought me into watching football and I supported the NT before I got into Barca. I actually feel like a much more passionate football fan watching the World Cup than I do the CL. Why? Not because I feel any bias towards the tournament. Mainly because it's in the summer, over a smaller duration of time so it's more compacted and back to back football. I'm out of school so instead of having to depressingly watch football on a computer screen alone I can watch it with my family and friends outside and enjoy the atmosphere so much more. After games I go out with my friends and have a pickup football match instead of having to sit and finish my homework.

People rag on international football all the time but personally, I love it. So much passion and love when players are on the field for the glory of their nation. I was staying at my uncle's house in Madrid for the final of the World Cup in 2010. After the victory we went for the celebrations in the streets, and that was one of the best experiences of my life. Would've been better than going to my grandmother's house in Bilbao where my family absolutely hates the NT and would refuse to even watch it. My point is that don't let patriotism get in the way of enjoying football at the international stage, because there is so much beauty in it.

BlaugranaInTheUSA

DonAndres, fantastic post. This is my viewpoint, even though like I said, I do not live in Spain. I do have a somewhat understanding on why the Catalans and Basque have the political feelings they do, but to me if you have representatives like the Catalans and Basque do in the national team then it would be absolutely feasible to support the national team. I am like you in that it is one thing to be proud of a culture and nation such as the Catalans or whoever it may be, but with international football comes a time that people can unite behind a team of players that are from all over the country. They come together to compete, so why could others not come together to stand behind them.

I love the fact that Catalans are so proud of their culture and who they are by making the Catalan flag such a vital part of FC Barcelona and bringing it in the Camp Nou. I love the fact as well that FC Barcelona absolutely embrace and are vital part of Catalan culture. It was a huge reason I decided to follow FCB because it truly is "mes que un club." in that it represents a culture, a people, and a proud people at that. I love when the flag is brought in to symbolize a proud nation at the games and proud of where they are from, but when it is brought in for political reasons, I just can't seem to support that notion. Politics has its place and it's not in football, but we inevitably know that it will show up do to the enormous international stage it is set on. I do not want people to think I do not support the Catalans and what they stand for because I do. Yet, I feel Catalans should support their fellow brothers even in a national team that consists of others from different regions regardless of political shortcomings because in the end the national team represents the Spanish PEOPLE from all throughout Spain including Catalunya and not the Spanish government.

Last edited:

veryfatchocobo

Errr...... I'm part Spanish.... but I also have some Basque blood.... but I still support the Spanish National team. THough my first teams are still the US and teh Philippines hehe

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
DonAndres, fantastic post. This is my viewpoint, even though like I said, I do not live in Spain. I do have a somewhat understanding on why the Catalans and Basque have the political feelings they do, but to me if you have representatives like the Catalans and Basque do in the national team then it would be absolutely feasible to support the national team. I am like you in that it is one thing to be proud of a culture and nation such as the Catalans or whoever it may be, but with international football comes a time that people can unite behind a team of players that are from all over the country. They come together to compete, so why could others not come together to stand behind them.

I love the fact that Catalans are so proud of their culture and who they are by making the Catalan flag such a vital part of FC Barcelona and bringing it in the Camp Nou. I love the fact as well that FC Barcelona absolutely embrace and are vital part of Catalan culture. It was a huge reason I decided to follow FCB because it truly is "mes que un club." in that it represents a culture, a people, and a proud people at that. I love when the flag is brought in to symbolize a proud nation at the games and proud of where they are from, but when it is brought in for political reasons, I just can't seem to support that notion. Politics has its place and it's not in football, but we inevitably know that it will show up do to the enormous international stage it is set on. I do not want people to think I do not support the Catalans and what they stand for because I do. Yet, I feel Catalans should support their fellow brothers even in a national team that consists of others from different regions regardless of political shortcomings because in the end the national team represents the Spanish PEOPLE from all throughout Spain including Catalunya and not the Spanish government.

:beer2:

AvocadoCake

I chose "I do not support Spain because I believe Catalans should protest the national team." but that's not really the reason, I mean I will be supporting Australia regardless but if there was a Catalan national team rather than watching Alonso, Arbeloa and Ramos play alongside Iniesta/Xavi like nothing's happened I'd be supporting that in Europe.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
I do not support Spain. I support another nation is what I chose. I support England.

Home of Barca Fans