Confederations Cup 2013 - Final: Brazil 3-0 Spain

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I asked you guys a question last week and I will ask again:

Which team is better? Barca or Spain?

Last week you all said Spain. Is Barca better with Messi and Neymar or not necessarily?

F

Flavia

I'm wondering how Torres got the golden boot again... Fred also scored 5. Maybe for playing less games, but this is ridiculous.

ceefoo

Arbeloa's performance in the first half was the worst performance by a Spaniard I've seen in years :lol: He should have been sent off, both Brazil goals were his fault and his display makes you wonder how on Earth he's in that Spanish team. Not that Azpili was better, third Brazil goal came from the right zone again, but if I was his teammate I would tie Arbeloa up naked to a tree and leave him in Brazil.

The other problem was that Spain have no striker, Torres can't score in big games and Villa isn't the player he was, while Soldado, Negredo and Llorente are good, but nothing more. Spain were toothless upfront. Formerly perfect Xavi has dropped his level, but that's something predictable, his best years are gone.
The right-back position must be a concern for VdB. There is no-way he can rely on Arbeloa to play that role at the WC, and I don't think AssPiss is much better.

The centre-forward position is an even bigger problem, with the whole front-line not really clicking into place. Fernando "the Tree" Torres is a spent force and Villa is also on his way out.

Brazil look really great at the moment, can't see a team stronger than them, great generation.
^Huge exaggeration. They look anything but "great". They have TWO outstanding players (T. Silva & Neymar). They (Brazil) played a great final, where they used the home crowd to their advantage, that's all.

Tonight, the only Spain players that had decent games were Iniesta, Pedro, Busquets and Navas. Xavi is really starting to concern me with his performances in the "Big Games", he just looks so off-the-pace, and lacking intensity. But I really can't see VdB fiddling with his tried-and-trusted midfield now, not so close to the WC.

I can only see 3 teams realistically winning WC2014: Brazil, Argentina and Spain. Italy would be my dark horses as they usually do well in tournament play. I would discount any of the Northern European teams as well; i.e. France, Germany, Netherlands etc, as in those conditions they will suffer badly with fatigue. I feel sorry for any of the poor bastards that get based in the North part of Brazil. They will have the toughest time.:D

Irish_Cules

I'm wondering how Torres got the golden boot again... Fred also scored 5. Maybe for playing less games, but this is ridiculous.

I think the reason he got it was because he had more assists. I felt bad for him having to go up there to collect it.

footyfan

Calma, calma

Because he played less minutes. How is it ridiculous? FIFA have a pre-determined system and they should stick to it. It seems totally fair that he should get it, considering he scored more goals in less minutes.

How disrespectful of Tahiti would it be if FIFA give the excuse that Torres can't win the Golden Boot because he scored 4 vs Tahiti?

Of course Torres got lucky.

Stric

Less than a week ago Spain was so incredibly good that everyone was shi**ing their pants. Now everyone's talking about how Spain is shit and their dominance is over. :lol: Simultaneously ignoring the fact that 3 days ago pretty much the same lineup played 120 minutes against Italy in borderline unbearable conditions. Not to mention that everyone was saying the exact same thing before the EC last year. Even with their troubles in the forward line, Spain still have by far the best team in international football.

I hope you're kidding. Spain have not one single decent forward, Xavi is getting slower and much less decisive, Pique has seen better days, they don't have any ok RBs and so on. Far ahead? I don't know if they are ahead at all...

Are you actually suggesting that this mediocre Brazil team (congrats to them on the win and everything, they deserve the credit, but let's not get ahead of ourselves) is better than the Spain NT? Ridiculous. Would you care to enumerate Brazil's weaknesses like that, maybe? Because if you did, you'd see that Brazil and Spain are incomparable. Brazil has a couple of great players and a bunch of okay players. Spain's squad is ridiculously good. They have so many fantastic players that VdB must be having headaches choosing the best lineup.

Congrats to Brazil on their win, but being the host of the tournament and the atmosphere today was a huge leg up for them. They were fired up, Spain was asleep and those things put together overrode any differences in quality and determined the outcome before they even started.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

Because he played less minutes. How is it ridiculous? FIFA have a pre-determined system and they should stick to it. It seems totally fair that he should get it, considering he scored more goals in less minutes.

How disrespectful of Tahiti would it be if FIFA give the excuse that Torres can't win the Golden Boot because he scored 4 vs Tahiti?

That system is ridiculous, imo. Scoring 2 on the final should count more than 4 on the group stage, whatever the opponent.

B

BlaugranaCule07

It's over for Spain, Xavi needs to be sold to get Oscar. Brazil will win the World Cup next year .

Faceless

No more faces at night
Add Italy to the list. Germany, as much as I love them, has Jogi Löw as their coach after all, so they shouldn't go too far. ;)

No. Der Mannschaft will prevail!
To be honest I too would fear the Germans will remain 3rd as usual.. But it's possible... Brazil and Italy are a force to be reckoned with..

BODFBRTCUAAt5Sn_zps6ebdff4b.png

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Same deal with Torres last year in Euros. Got lucky with the whole playing time calculation and having scored 2 against a lowly Ireland side.

Home of Barca Fans