Confederations Cup 2013 - Final: Brazil 3-0 Spain

Stric

Same deal with Torres last year in Euros. Got lucky with the whole playing time calculation and having scored 2 against a lowly Ireland side.

If I remember correctly, him and Gomez were the only ones who also had an assist along with three goals. Then between the two of them, Torres had fewer minutes so that was the deciding factor. Anyways, as absurd as it might seem in situations like this one, it's also kind of fair. Spain wasn't the only team that played against Tahiti. And usually every group has a weak team, so even though it's not exactly the same for everyone, most of the time strong teams get to play against weaker ones and boost their goal count. For example, in the 2012 EC Germany scored 4 against Greece. Spain scored 4 against Ireland. Mandžukić was also on the shortlist, and he scored 2 against Ireland, as well.

Last edited:

barcanuck

Del Bosque got out coached. I mean you start Torres when you have a fresh Villa? You start Pedro when you have a fresh Cazorla? You ditch the double pivote that won everything out of no where. I am betting he was just testing the single pivote though.

Sezmic

Spain needs the double pivot. That is the key in dominating the midfield and keeping a low score. Del Bosque knows exactly why he plays Alonso and today against a good side, the flaw showed.

Ketoth

I wouldn't think too much of it. Spain did even worse in the 2009 confederations cup (which Brazil also won). Brazil simply had the most hunger in this tournament. I wouldn't be surprised if Del Bosque sets his team to lose these cups, to make Spain more determined for the world cup.

BerkeleyBernie

The game against Italy on fortaleza, at 35ºC and 90% humidity played a great part on the game today. They were really tired.

I once tried playing pickup at 6pm in the evening in Mississippi when visiting from out of town, about those conditions. I'm not in perfect shape or in my 20s, but I literally had to stop after every 10 second sprint to cool down, or get nauseous from the heat. It's nasty on the body. 120 minutes under those conditions? I can't imagine.

Gaudi

Barca players played from solid to great, that's most important thing, Real players flopped just to make it more funny. So good night at the end. Only problem is they look drained completely

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
It was only the Confederations Cup and nobody really would have remembered it months from now, more less years from now. It did show what a huge star Neymar has the potential of becoming. I'm a Spanish boy but I was geeked watching him the whole tournament as a Cule. It's going to be an amazing season for Barcelona.

Brazil had more to prove and Spain looked depleted from the Italy encounter. I was really surprised to see Cesc and Soldado get no minutes but they still must be ailing. Cesc is a difference-maker for Spain, whether anybody likes it or not. The double-pivot is one of the key ingredients to how Spain dominates the midfield and was clearly absent against both Italy and Brazil. I really hope Del Bosque starts to implement Javi Martinez in Alonso's role as a 4-3-3 does not suit this squad at all. Torres and Mata both looked terrible. Del Bosque will have to use the next year to integrate Thiago, Isco, and De Gea into the squad more.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Conferderations cup winners never win the following years world cup. So I am happy Brazil won!

This also proves why a double pivot is crucial for Spain..........

Stric

Am I the only one who thinks that Spain's defeat had very little or nothing to do with the absence of a double pivot?

Seems to me like people are making comments based on the lineups and not on the actual performances.

Home of Barca Fans