LWB Jordi Alba, Adriano, Abidal
CB Puyol, Piqué, Marquinhos, I. Martínez, Abidal

CDM Busquets, Song
CM Xavi, Thiago
CAM Iniesta, Eriksen

ATK Pedro, Alexis, Tello, Messi, Cavani, Neymar or Reus

Formations:

Use this11.com for drawing your football tactics

Alternatively, Cavani/Pedro/Alexis could play from the right, so that Messi could play centrally, if the opponent has a dangerous left back.

Also, Eriksen can be used as a false winger, or a false nine. He has played in such roles before with Ajax. This would give us more tactical flexibility.

Ideally, I would have made more changes, but within our budget I think I've managed to solve some critical issues:
- lack of height (Cavani, Martínez, Marquinhos)
- lack of creativity up front (Neymar, Eriksen)
- lack of tactical flexibility (Cavani, Eriksen) --> Cavani adds height, pressure from the front and poaching skills, and he would allow Messi to play in his old inside right position, like against Milan. Eriksen can play in midfield, from the wings, and as a false nine. He isn't better than Cesc per se, but he's better if you consider his price tag (16 vs 40). He's more agile, but he's less of a goal scorer. But selling Cesc would give us a bigger budget, and Eriksen can capably replace him in my opinion.

Also, having more central defenders would allow us to switch to a 3-5-2 if needed.

Draw your tactical diagram with this11.com

Or something like that. The downside is that it would be hard to accommodate my signing Neymar there, especially if Messi plays as well. Also, I'm not totally convinced that a 3-5-2 would be the best option for us, but we would be able to play that way, surely.

I'm only doubting the signing of Neymar, but from what I've seen from him, his workrate is decent, he's very skilled - and we need more creativity up front - and he's still very young. Reus, for example, wouldn't be as creative, but he would be an option too.

All in all, I don't think we need major changes in our way of playing. My investments would be aimed at giving us a better 25 instead of a much different starting 11. But we would need to press heavier from the front. That's why I kept Pedro and Alexis, and signed Cavani. Neymar wouldn't be as used to it, so it's important we'd have strong alternatives in our wing positions. Also, I think we should rotate more, so as not to tire our players early in the season.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, we need to keep players like Pedro and Alexis.
Unless, of course, we copy the Bayern model where everyone is pressing. In that case value of Pedro and Alexis drops dramatically. Don't see that happening though.

spring

Bojan agrees with every squad that has cavani! right?
396.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans