Stric's Barca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stric

I have no idea what to name the thread, so Bojan help me out. :lol:

Here's my 2013/2014 virtual manager plan:

Transfer budget: €50,000,000
Players sold: Valdes (12m), Sanchez (20m), Mascherano (26m), JdS (3,5m), Affelay (10m), Fontas (2,5m), Keirrison (0.75m), = €74,750,000
Players bought: De Gea (25m), Thiago Silva (40m), Aguero (45m) = €110,000,000
Players promoted: Deulofeu, Rafinha
Players on loan: Cuenca
Balance: €14,750,000

2013/2014 SQUAD

Goalkeepers:
1. De Gea
2. Pinto
3. Olazabal

Defenders:
4. Pique
5. Thiago Silva
6. Bartra
7. Puyol
8. Abidal
9. Alba
10. Montoya
11. Adriano
12. Alves

Midfielders:
13. Iniesta
14. Fabregas
15. Xavi
16. Thiago
17. Busquets
18. Song
19. Rafinha

Forwards:
20. Messi
21. Aguero
22. Villa
23. Pedro
24. Tello
25. Deulofeu

Lineups and description:​

33tqln9.png

I'm using our standard 4-3-3 formation with 1 CDM. On the left you can see the basic system with a possible starting 11 lineup. Montoya and Alba take turns attacking, and the forward that is on the side of the attacking fullback cuts in centrally in front of Messi to shoot or drag defenders away. Tello rotates with Aguero, Pedro with Villa, Deulofeu with either of the forwards, Thiago (and Rafinha) with Iniesta, Xavi with Fabregas, Song with Busquets, Adriano with Alba, Alves with Montoya, Bartra, Puyol and Abidal with either of the starting CBs.

The system can also be switched to a 4-1-3-2 (or a 4-4-2, if you will), in which we'd play more narrowly, without wide forwards and with a thicker midfield. We use Aguero as the main striker, and Messi again has a license to roam freely. Iniesta, Fabregas and Thiago are also all used in their best positions.

EDIT:

In light of some new discussions, I've made some changes. We've agreed that De Gea's price would really be around 25m, as opposed to the 17m cited on Transfermarkt. Also, I didn't include Bojan in any transfer plans, as it is uncertain what will happen. This is an additional loss of about 13m. Due to these two changes, I was forced to sell another player - Mascherano, for 26m. This opened up another spot in the squad so I also promoted Rafinha.

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Where's Cuenca? He's not on the selling list, nor is he on the squad list. And do you really think we'll need three DM's in your system? We were pretty much fine this season with just Song and Busquets rotating (and that was with pretty poor rotating) with better rotation I'm sure we won't need three.

Also, why keep Pedro at the club over Sanchez? Sanchez is a year younger and has shown better form recently, playing to a higher potential than Pedro, who has just looked plain uninspired as of late. And why wouldn't it be better to loan Delo, considering how all the other five forwards (for three/two positions) are ahead of him in the pecking order?

For the formations you posted, are those your best lineups? As in, if we were playing a top CL side would that be the squad you fielded? And, if so, what do you want Dani's role at the club to be this season? Also, do you think the first formation is good enough at controlling games/keeping possession? Villa and Messi don't normally provide a lot of workrate, not so sure about Aguero, Iniesta and Fabregas both always look for the risky pass while Busquets might sit a bit too deeply. I have a feeling even with our new signings we could get overwhelmed on defense simply because our midfield won't be good enough at pressing.

Sorry all those questions, just trying to get down everything I could think of.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
So we have our first competitor! Cheers for breaking the ice Stric!

I think your squad looks strong but I don't think we'd be able to get de Gea for 17 million nor sell Bojan for 13 (could even end up having to buy him back!)

I'm liking the back 4. And eventhough I am a fan of Alves I do admit this looks more balanced. Not too keen on Cesc and Villa though :)

Stric

Where's Cuenca? He's not on the selling list, nor is he on the squad list. And do you really think we'll need three DM's in your system? We were pretty much fine this season with just Song and Busquets rotating (and that was with pretty poor rotating) with better rotation I'm sure we won't need three.

Also, why keep Pedro at the club over Sanchez? Sanchez is a year younger and has shown better form recently, playing to a higher potential than Pedro, who has just looked plain uninspired as of late. And why wouldn't it be better to loan Delo, considering how all the other five forwards (for three/two positions) are ahead of him in the pecking order?

For the formations you posted, are those your best lineups? As in, if we were playing a top CL side would that be the squad you fielded? And, if so, what do you want Dani's role at the club to be this season? Also, do you think the first formation is good enough at controlling games/keeping possession? Villa and Messi don't normally provide a lot of workrate, not so sure about Aguero, Iniesta and Fabregas both always look for the risky pass while Busquets might sit a bit too deeply. I have a feeling even with our new signings we could get overwhelmed on defense simply because our midfield won't be good enough at pressing.

Sorry all those questions, just trying to get down everything I could think of.

Woops, I knew I forgot something. Thanks. I've added Cuenca to the "players on loan category". How does the fee work in that case, though?

I was in a dilemma whether to keep Cuenca on loan and promote Deulofeu, or bring back Cuenca and keep Deulofeu in the B team for another season. I used this one because Cuenca said he wanted to stay at Ajax another year. I'd want to have (at least) 6 forwards either way.

I share your thoughts on the three DMs thing. Originally, I put Mascherano on the sold players list (Alves, too), but then I brought him back and decided to keep him as an extra CB. Using him in a 3-man backline line in a 3-4-3 is also a possibility I'd quite enjoy seeing (Silva-Pique-Mascherano? Nice.) Although, I must admit, having an obligatory 25-man squad is part of the reason why some of these players are still there. And, it's hard to let go. :lol: The financial balance worked out well, too, so there was no need to consider additional sales.

Turns out I'll have to change some things up to adjust the transfers to De Gea's higher price (as Bojan suggested, with which I agree), and I'll have to remove Krkić from the plan, as well, so I'm bound to make some additional changes. I'll probably have to sell another player. I'll try to make these changes as soon as possible.

As for the Sanchez vs Pedro part, I trust Pedro more than Sanchez. I wouldn't necessarily make him a starter, but he's a good squad player to have, can play anywhere in the front three, and although he didn't quite show it this season, he's more of a natural goalscorer than Sanchez. If he were to find his form again like Sanchez has recently, it would be a no brainer for me. On top of that, we could most likely get more money for Sanchez than for Pedro (20m as opposed to 15m, as we've agreed), so that's another advantage. Plus, I have no trouble admitting that I'd prefer the homegrown player if the circumstances are such. I care about the authenticity of the club and preserving our La Masia-based core of the squad.

As for the lineups, the left one is pretty much what I consider to be the best. Of course, with the exception of Xavi/Fabregas and Alves/Montoya, depending on current form and tactics. The right one is more of a different flavor, maybe for closing games when leading or situations like that. Just another system to consider. Take out Villa for Thiago, then maybe Iniesta/Fabregas for Song or something along those lines. A double pivot to provide extra security when leading.

The lineup is the one which would be the most-used starting lineup when taking the entire season into consideration. There are many games to played, so that's the reason why I put Fabregas ahead of Xavi. Also, Montoya ahead of Alves because he needs to gain experience, and I consider him to be good enough to handle most Liga games. This isn't necessarily the lineup I'd use against the most difficult opponents. Again, depending on the occasion, I'd also possibly use Xavi, Alves, Song, whoever...

Concerning Alves' role in the team, I considered selling him (I might have to reconsider selling either him or Mascherano when I make the changes), but realized there was no need. He probably wouldn't be happy with not being promised a starting spot, but for now that's the approach I've taken. I'm not saying he'd play as little as Montoya has this season, but I'd Montoya to start at least half of all games in the season.

No need to apologize, man, I'm glad there are questions to answer. :) :beer2:

Thanks, Bojan! :)

I'll adjust my transfer record to work with De Gea's fee (we'll settle on 25 mil, right?) and I'll take Krkić completely out of the equation.

EDIT: Sorry I keep editing the post, I keep noticing I forgot to address some comment/question.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I'm a bit worried about the lack of work-rate/stamina by the front 3, and with the lack of control in midfield as neither Cesc or Iniesta are orchestrators. Maybe it'd work if we played a more defensive, counter attacking game though. Also I'm with Bojan, I think it'd be difficult to get De Gea (unless Moyes wants him gone) and sell Bojan for that much. Last I heard Milan only wanted to pay 5m :lol:

The transfer outlay is significan't, more than we've ever spent before and I'm a bit worried about it, but I guess with the amount of players we'll be selling it could be necessary.

The squad looks a bit big too, so would be difficult to keep everyone happy, especially as there are few newly promoted players who'd be willing to watch and learn.

Doobs

The Messiah
I'd love Aguero and Silva in the team!

Assuming Cesc is unable to control the game like Xavi and we concede more possession, how would the defensive adjust? Would you have Montoya and Alba continue with their attacking runs?

How would pressing work?

Stric

Thanks for all the comments and questions, fellas. I'll try to address all of them later today when I find a bigger piece of spare time. :) Cheers!

Irish_Cules

Do you really think Aguero and De Gea would be sold? Both players are vital to their team and neither club needs the money. Aguero is more realistic but there's no way United would give themselves another goalkeeper problem just for a bit of money.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Do you really think Aguero and De Gea would be sold? Both players are vital to their team and neither club needs the money. Aguero is more realistic but there's no way United would give themselves another goalkeeper problem just for a bit of money.

United have interest in Begovic. If they get him then De Gea would be free to move to Barca and they will have a strong replacement as well.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
United have interest in Begovic. If they get him then De Gea would be free to move to Barca and they will have a strong replacement as well.

It will probably all boil down to whether Moyes wants to pick up from where Fergie left or whether he wants to create a completely new project with his own ideas, players and tactics.

Besides, by the looks of it de Gea seems to have overcome most of his consistency issues and has been enjoying his time at United. Can't see him leave after a mere season at the team.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
It will probably all boil down to whether Moyes wants to pick up from where Fergie left or whether he wants to create a completely new project with his own ideas, players and tactics.

The thing is I doubt Moyes would dare to change everything Fergie set up in his first season at United, especially considering that the current system has just been successful so there are no huge concerns for them right now other than some midfield transfers. The team will shape more to Moyes' vision as the years go by but I doubt he would completely change everything immediately as a newcomer manager after the clubs greatest idol retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans