22 - İlkay Gündoğan

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
if we are considering buying a midfielder. shouldn't ISco be an option ?

First of all, I don't really understand why we would need another midfielder next season. We have Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago. Song could also be played there like Keita was and Cesc should ONLY play in midfield (intstead of DM I mean). Another thing is, La Masia produces some fine players - especially midfielders. Sergio Roberto is coming through slowly, we also have Rafinha and Samper slowly making their way through.
IF we intend to buy a CM, it could probably only happen if Cesc or Song leaves. Than I would prefer Ilkay Gundogan to replace them. He can play more defensively if needed and has a set of skills very similar to Xavi. Isco is a good prospect, but both Thiago and Cesc are better players than him - I don't really see Isco as somebody 'controlling' the midfield, he is very direct.

B

Besiktas

If we buy Ilkay, I will be really happy. He will be a very good solution for Xavi retirement. He showed his class in the CL semis against Madrid. He handles the pressure really well. His passing is great. His playing style is a lot like Xavi. His turns under pressure, his long and short passes. If he plays with Xavi and Iniesta for two years, I am sure he will adapt our possession tiki-taka game.

Since Ilkay's release clause is only 25 mil, we should sell Cesc and get Ilkay. If we can get 35 mil for Cesc from Arsenal, we can spend that 10 mil for Thiago Silva transfer. Cesc was brought here for being next Xavi. However, it is obvious now that he is not that type of midfielder. A 35 mil Messi backup is a luxory when you have other neeeds.

Jaguar

Flair Trait
If we buy Ilkay, I will be really happy. He will be a very good solution for Xavi retirement. He showed his class in the CL semis against Madrid. He handles the pressure really well. His passing is great. His playing style is a lot like Xavi. His turns under pressure, his long and short passes. If he plays with Xavi and Iniesta for two years, I am sure he will adapt our possession tiki-taka game.

Since Ilkay's release clause is only 25 mil, we should sell Cesc and get Ilkay. If we can get 35 mil for Cesc from Arsenal, we can spend that 10 mil for Thiago Silva transfer. Cesc was brought here for being next Xavi. However, it is obvious now that he is not that type of midfielder. A 35 mil Messi backup is a luxory when you have other neeeds.

Yeah let's buy Thiago Silva for 10 million 0_o

You also forgot that we have Thiago Alcantara who is shining because he is being given playing time, that's all he needs and he can be better than Gundogan, wake up and smell the coffee we have young talent and although we need to strengthen areas, the midfield certainly isn't one of those areas.

Butaan4barca

You also forgot that we have Thiago Alcantara who is shining because he is being given playing time, that's all he needs and he can be better than Gundogan, wake up and smell the coffee we have young talent and although we need to strengthen areas, the midfield certainly isn't one of those areas.

Thiago is one, roberto, or samper are definetely not ready yet. With increasing doubts on cesc to fill in xavi's shoes. I can see a room for one midfielder. Having said that, cesc can continue to play in the whole created by messi droping down (he doesn't have to fill in for xavi).

B

Besiktas

Do not manipulate my words. I said let's spend that 10 mil for Thiago Silva transfer. That does not mean Thiago Silva is 10 mil. Instead of a 30 mil Hummels transfer or 25 mil Agger transfer, I prefer 35-40 mil Thiago Silva transfer. We can use this money for this difference.

Thiago is more like Iniesta than Xavi. Bringing Ilkay will not effect his playing time as you think. Offloading Cesc will surely effect it though. I offer the following.

Xavi/Ilkay Busquets/ Song Iniesta/Thiago

Butaan4barca

Thiago is one, roberto or samper are definitely not ready yet. With increasing doubts on cesc to fill in xavi's shoes. I can see a room for one midfielder. Having said that, cesc can continue to play in the whole created by messi droping down (he doesn't have to fill in for xavi).

If this guy is really the type of player you guys say he is: Pace controller, calm under pressure, accustomed passer with great range and vision. I say,Bring him on board.

B

Besiktas

If this guy is really the type of player you guys say he is: Pace controller, calm under pressure, accustomed passer with great range and vision. I say,Bring him on board.

Yes, he is. He bossed Madrid midfield in both games. His defensive side is as good as his offensive side. I mean positioning, pressing. Alonso could not play his game in both games because of him.

PaulFCB

Banned
I think this is the best possible transfer we can make this summer.

Maybe we can even make and exchange, Borussia needs to cover for players like Ilkay and others who will leave, we can use Cesc.

Andrew M

Yes, he is. He bossed Madrid midfield in both games. His defensive side is as good as his offensive side. I mean positioning, pressing. Alonso could not play his game in both games because of him.

He wasn't that impressive at the Bernabeu; missed a great chance to score, and, you know, Madrid did win 2-0 on the night.

PaulFCB

Banned
Lol, pls.

Ilkay Gundogan was man of the match at the game on Bernabeu. Losing 2-0 out of two farts of a goal scored late in the match has nothing to do with him, if it wasn't for him, those goals could've been for 4-0 and 5-0.
And he didn't miss stupidly, Diego Lopez had an excellent save( of the match ) on his shot.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Lol, pls.

Ilkay Gundogan was man of the match at the game on Bernabeu. Losing 2-0 out of two farts of a goal scored late in the match has nothing to do with him, if it wasn't for him, those goals could've been for 4-0 and 5-0.
And he didn't miss stupidly, Diego Lopez had an excellent save( of the match ) on his shot.

You are exaggerating his level of performance in the return leg. If we had had only 40% possession and lost 2-0 no-one would say Xavi dominated the match.

khaled_a_d

First of all, I don't really understand why we would need another midfielder next season. We have Xavi, Iniesta, Thiago. Song could also be played there like Keita was and Cesc should ONLY play in midfield (intstead of DM I mean). Another thing is, La Masia produces some fine players - especially midfielders. Sergio Roberto is coming through slowly, we also have Rafinha and Samper slowly making their way through.
IF we intend to buy a CM, it could probably only happen if Cesc or Song leaves. Than I would prefer Ilkay Gundogan to replace them. He can play more defensively if needed and has a set of skills very similar to Xavi. Isco is a good prospect, but both Thiago and Cesc are better players than him - I don't really see Isco as somebody 'controlling' the midfield, he is very direct.

I was thinking same thing early ,but the more I think about it looks different to me
Xavi is starting to decline tbh ,yes he is still putting amazing passing accuracy rate with his passing ,but let's be honest here ,he isn't his former self this season even if he still can have some gr8 games
I think it might be the time to decrease his games ,dare to say lose his starting spot too? Cesc has been inconsistent ,Thiago is good but do the management trust him for next year as a starter? I hope so but not sure the board have same opinion
Also Iniesta might still find himself shifting to LWF from time to time
Ilkay might be a good option to continue improving our midfield ,It isn't an urgent need for now in comparison to all other 3 lines(GK,Defense,attack) ,but I think this could emerge as a big problem next year and it might be good thing to avoid it b4 it happens
On other note ,there is also a lot of rumors of him joining Real Madrid
Edit : As for youngsters
Roberto isn't barca material ,he should be sold , he is good for mid table teams not FCB ,people are seriously overrating him ,Samper is 2 years away from being promoted , a lot can happen in those 2 years
Rafinha might be the only one that can be with first team ,but you can't count a lot on him ,Honestly I think Barca are overusing their youngsters at this point ,Unlike Deulofeu he is more of a long term project who should get into the team slowly in the next few years

Last edited:

Barca8

if Sergi Roberto fails to cement a place in our first team squad then i think we should definitely consider Gündoğan...

Busquets/Song
Xavi/Gündoğan
Iniesta/Thiago

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Thiago is a midfielder in the Iniesta mold but I think management WANT him to be Xavi's replacement. If Thiago is allowed to play to his strengths he will be 10 times better. Gundogan is as close to a Xavi clone as we can get. At 22 he already displays the same qualities and playing style, starting as a Holding mid but if moved up the pitch he will be able to play the killer pass and shoot.

There's nothing wrong with depth and Sergi Roberto definitely has a place in our midfield, even if its as a sub. I can see JDS leaving though.
We gotta pick up Gundogan before some other club does, certainly before RM.

PaulFCB

Banned
You are exaggerating his level of performance in the return leg. If we had had only 40% possession and lost 2-0 no-one would say Xavi dominated the match.

I'm not exaggerating at all, Ilkay was MotM in that game and his performance was decisive for Borussia to stay alive and qualify further. He was brilliant in the midfield and without someone like him Real would've had many more chances to end up in close to Dortmund's box and score.
He is clearly wanted by probably all big European clubs and Barca should do well to buy him now as long as it's still possible cause he might be the best in the world at what does very soon ( starting with sending Bastian home for Germany's NT games, or at least the bench ).

Last edited:

SeloBarca

Watching vids he seesm to be a good buy to replace Xavi one day, but cant say all from youtube vids. Looks more like Xavi then THiago or Cesc

Home of Barca Fans