Crowds and the lack of support in Europe

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Most likely screaming in agony
Skriet-medium.jpg

Andrew M

Respect the Munch!

Loving all the armchair Barca fans ragging on the Camp Nou atmosphere. :wave:

I was actually there for the Bayern match and the chanting was loud. Perhaps it doesn't come across on the TV too well due to the stadium being mostly uncovered? Yes, the chanting died a little by the end, but it is hard to get too excited at 7-0 down and feeling embarrassed at how pathetic we were.

But people should remember that this isn't the 1980s; people bring their families and their kids to games so they probably aren't in the mood for militant war cries.

I will take family over shouting any day.

Teams like Real, Barca, Man U etc. are also very used to success and expect to win in every match which is why they are more relaxed.

XaviMessiGirl

This isn't in Europe, not sure where else to put this though. But the following are set to be banned from the Maracana at the World Cup:

- supporters flags/banners (specifically the bamboo/poles used to hold them)
- musical instruments (drums etc)
- standing during the match
- taking off your shirt

ManusXavi

The reality is Europe have got a large chunk of crowds seated. Europe needs a new trend. Seated Ultras. We need some of Europes focal groups setting an example in the sitting areas by remaining seated when they begin their chants. Dancing and Chanting in Unison while remaining seated.
Chants, Songs and dance moves need to be made available and well known on the Clubs website (for example for us on FC Barcelona.com)
We need to work with what we have got as well as working toward Europe getting more standing areas.

Last edited:

ManusXavi

What I will say doesn't help as well is, that stadiums have 'designated Ultra areas' that are known as boisterous, then a little beyond that it stops with what people feel turns to what is culturally known as 'regular crowd. Why not swap the roles and have 'designated Family areas' and 'designated Quiet areas'. It might sound stupidly orderly but I think that is what is needed in order for the majority of the crowd to have confidence about 'letting loose' and confidence without worry of being disrespectful to a few or feeling awkward.

Tomchin

Do you know much about the current Barca ultra groups? I see them behind one of the goal usually. Do they all bunch together or are they spread around the stadium
The penya that makes a lot of noise is the Penya Almogavers (who're sitting behind the goal on the right), they always make a lot of noise and have some flags etc. Previously at the other side of the stadium you had the Boixos Nois, but as you know they got banned by Laporta.

Rosell launched a very nice initiative, the "Grada d'animacion", a section in the stadium that would help to increase the atmosphere (seated on the same place where the Boixos Nois were seated before). But unfortunately the intiative failed, because some Boixos Nois deemed it necessary to light up some Bengal fire from that Grada d'animacion some months ago (I think it was during a game against RM?). A shame that it didn't work out.

Camp Nou is loud when it needs to be I guess. I was there during the 4-0 remuntada against Milan, and the atmosphere was absolutely electrifying. Best 90 minutes of my life ;)

XaviMessiGirl

What I will say doesn't help as well is, that stadiums have 'designated Ultra areas' that are known as boisterous, then a little beyond that it stops with what people feel turns to what is culturally known as 'regular crowd. Why not swap the roles and have 'designated Family areas' and 'designated Quiet areas'. It might sound stupidly orderly but I think that is what is needed in order for the majority of the crowd to have confidence about 'letting loose' and confidence without worry of being disrespectful to a few or feeling awkward.

Quiet areas? Why would someone go to a match if they want it to be quiet the whole time? Kinda defeats the purpose of attending a live game IMO.

And I definitely wouldn't want to see the dedicated ultras sections go away... seeing what those guys do in the stadium (chanting, tifo displays etc... outside of the context of Barca since most of those things are club-sponsored at the Camp Nou these days) is the most attractive thing about the sport outside of the actual game.

ManusXavi

Quiet areas? Why would someone go to a match if they want it to be quiet the whole time? Kinda defeats the purpose of attending a live game IMO.

And I definitely wouldn't want to see the dedicated ultras sections go away... seeing what those guys do in the stadium (chanting, tifo displays etc... outside of the context of Barca since most of those things are club-sponsored at the Camp Nou these days) is the most attractive thing about the sport outside of the actual game.

I think a 'quiet area' would help the rest of the large majority of the crowd have more confidence to let loose to those around them.

Yannik

Not sure where else to put this, but this is a good read:

http://supportersnotcustomers.com/2015/04/14/the-root-of-all-evil/

pretty nice read.
At my club Hannover 96 we are facing a pretty similar situation now. See, we have a president called "Martin Kind", he's pretty much the biggest EPL-system fan in german football and maybe the most hated man in german football. He sued the DFB to loose the 50+1 rule so that he is able to take over the whole club in 2018 and sell it to investors. The ultras became furious with this, Kind additionally pissed them off with several comments and stadium-suspensions and since this season the Ultras are boycotting the Bundesliga games. They all started to support the the u23-amateur squad in the 4th division instead. There are several thousand ultras attending the youth games now.
This is how a normal u23-away game looks.

maxresdefault.jpg

Meanwhile in the stadium there is no flag, and if there is one then it says "Kind muss weg" (= Kind must go)

Home of Barca Fans