Argentina primera division

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
I wouldn't call River's strike force anything to write home about, Rosales has potential but is insanely inconsistent and Fabbiani is an arrogant, worthless piece of shit who makes Benzema look like the most in shape striker in the world. They are missing Falcao and could really use a Palermo type of player who can score headers.

They have creativity between Buonanotte, Ortega and Gallardo, there's definitely a major hole in the midfield next to Almeyda though. Ahumada is erratic. and the defense has individual talent that doesn't seem to click.

The biggest problem with River is an abundance of talent and nobody who knows how to make consistent use of it. Ortega, Gallardo and Almeyda are good leaders but all three at in the twilight of their careers. El Burrito can't play more than 30 minutes at a high level anymore sadly.

Lemmi

The Reckoner
This is the article my brother wrote on this weekends fixtures for the paper he works for in BA:

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.theargentimes.com/culture/sport/a-weeks-a-long-time-in-futbol-fecha-

-------------------------------------------------------------

A Week’s a Long Time in Fútbol: Fecha 13

by: Daniel Edwards | 09 November 2009
section: Sport
Hello and welcome back to my weekly update of the soap opera that is the Argentine Primera Division. Read on for goals, gossip and an outpouring of grief related to Racing’s continuing struggles at the foot of the table.

When I tell people I get paid to watch football games here, theres usually one response: “Lucky Bastard”. And they’re right. It’s a cushy job, and there are a lot of great parts to it. El Superclasico was pretty good fun, and of course there was the unrestrained joy last week of celebrating Racing Club’s first, glorious victory of the season against Atletic Tucuman.

But there’s also a lot of annoying parts which remind me it is actually a job. I get touched up by police officers far more times than I’m happy with, and on average get one cigarette lighter confiscated every week. There was also the time I had to remove a rather stylish belt before entering a stadium- needless to say, upon my return it was no longer there. Plus I’m fairly certain if I continue to eat so many stadium hamburgers I’m eventually going to catch the plague.

Then there’s nights like Monday- CA Huracan vs Arsenal de Sarandi. I started the evening having to beg from my friends for ticket money as every ATM within a mile was out of order. Then I had to sit in the rain in a roofless, windswept hellhole of a stadium for almost three hours, freezing and soaking to the bone and generally cursing whoever it was that invented the game. The game was pretty average too, even with a dramatic last-minute equaliser. So yes, not quite as glamorous as it sounds but hey, it’s almost a living. Rant over, on to the highlights of fecha 13:

Back to Normality for Racing:

Starting at the bottom this week, and a terrible weekend for Racing Club. The Avellaneda outfit, after the optimism of last week’s victory and with new coach Claudio Vivas in tow, were comfortably defeated 3-1 by Godoy Cruz of Mendoza. Leonardo Sigali’s own goal had given La Academia a glimmer of hope after Godoy raced to a two goal advantage. However the result was made certain in stoppage time by Christian Chavez, seconds after a disallowed Racing goal and subsequent dismissal of Matías Martínez for dissent.

To compound Racing’s woes, relegation rivals Chacarita and Atletico Tucuman both registered victories. Chacarita performed superbly to dispatch Lanús 3-0 away from home, forward Facundo Parra the hero with two second half strikes. Tucuman meanwhile won 4-2 at home to last-placed Tigre, who are still searching for their first win of this season.

And They Keep on Winning:

It’s as you were at the top of the table as Newell’s Old Boys, Banfield and Estudiantes all recorded victories. Estudiantes remain two points adrift of the former two clubs after a routine 3-0 victory over Velez. Unfancied Banfield took all three points at San Lorenzo this Sunday, and despite the somewhat uninspired nature of play fans of El Taladro (the drill, because they drill through defences, geddit?) didn’t care one bit, and are dreaming of their first league title in the club’s history. They will be chased all the way however by Newell’s, who in front of their own (in my experience) frankly terrifying hinchada beat River Plate 2-1. Antonio Boghossian was once again Los Leprosos hero, scoring either side of Diego Buonanotte’s equaliser to add to last week’s match-winning performance.

Pointless Trivia of the Week:

I referred to Newell’s Old Boys above as Los Leprosos, in English the Lepers. Contrary to what you may think though it is completely unrelated to violent tackling leaving stray opposition body parts lying on the pitch This rather unusual nickname dates back to the 1920’s when the club and Rosario rivals Central were asked to play a benefit match for sufferers of Leprosy. Central refused, and from then on have been known as Las Canallas, or “The Swine”. Newell’s on the other hand graciously accepted, and so picked up the moniker of “The Lepers”. Knowledge is power people.

Full Results of Fecha 13:

Argentinos Jrs.

Rosario Ctral.
Independiente

G. y Esgrima L.P.
Lanús

Chacarita Jrs.
Godoy Cruz (Mza.)

Racing Club
N.O. Boys

River Plate
At. Tucumán

Tigre
San Lorenzo de A.

Banfield
Estudiantes L.P.

Vélez Sarsfield
Boca Jrs.

Colón
Huracán

Arsenal F.C.

Heroes of the Week:

Despite the stadium indeed being a roofless, windswept hellhole, this week my heroes have to be the staff at CA. Huracan. They were the rarest of entities in Argentine football: helpful, polite, and actually useful when giving you directions. This was even true of the police there, which made me very suspicious indeed. Best of all, during the interminable wait at the end of the game while the away fans file out, there was an indoor café with coffee, food and everything. Genius! Are you listening every other stadium in Argentina, this is the way forward!

Boludo of the Week:

Anyone who had a Creamfields ticket this week only to see the City Government’s bureaucracy have it postponed will probably push to see Mauricio Macri receive this award every week. But the Mayor of Buenos Aires and former President of Boca Juniors compounded his Boludez by sticking his nose in to events back at La Bombonera. Of technical director Carlos Bianchi Macri said “it is difficult to see what his role is at the club”, as well as criticising other dealings of Los Bosteros. It may be unclear what Bianchi’s role is Sr. Macri, but I for one know what role you have: none whatsoever. Stick to closing down Boliches and (allegedly of course) spying on people and stay out of the beautiful game!

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.theargentimes.com/culture/sport/a-weeks-a-long-time-in-futbol-fecha-12-/

week 12 (his first one), great last paragraph

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Your brother is indeed a lucky bastard, damn. Though I wouldn't want to deal with Argentine police on a daily basis!

Poor Racing, every time they take steps forward they collapse again!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Time On Pass On The River Presidency

Daniel Passarella is on the campaign trial as he puts the finishing touches on his plan to be elected president of River Plate.

His headline policy is the promise to lure the likes of Hernan Crespo, Pablo Aimar and Javier Saviola back to El Monumental as he restores River’s identity on the pitch.

“Solari and D’Alessandro did not come because River is not a serious club,” Passarella said while explaining his plan to bait the big fish. “I think we have to play to former players’ sentimentality.”

The former long term River player and manager went on to say that footballers who move on from El Monumental should be informed that they have a duty to put a little back.

“The players have won a lot of money [in Europe] and my motto will be that they return to River to give a little back of what the club gave them,” Passarella explained. “I’m going to offer more with this speech than offering the players an extra one or two million dollars per year.”

When asked about why the club find themselves so far from competing with their rivals on the pitch, Passarella had no doubt where the blame lies.

“The only ones responsible for what is going on here are all in the boardroom,” the World Cup winner said. “The management is horrible, terrible and Jose Maria Aguilar and Mario Israel are the worst in the history.”

The 1978 star also has plans for the marketing arm of the club which he views as failing miserably.

“Before the season started, Boca played Bayern Munich, AC Milan and Manchester United in a tournament in Germany. We played Toronto FC and even that only came at the last minute.”

“The giant is asleep, we must awaken him,” finished Passarella with a concise sound bite which sums up his mission.
---
Passarella presidente!

15638_094856_650x420.jpg

The favourite is still Rodolfo D'Onofrio who has Enzo Francescoli in his camp. Ramon Diaz is believed to be in Passarella's team.

Last edited:

Lemmi

The Reckoner
A Week’s a Long Time in Fútbol: Fecha 14

by: Daniel Edwards | 17 November 2009
section: Sport
“Soooooy de Racing, soooooy de Racing, soy de Racing, yo soooooooooy!!!” That’s right, on my birthday weekend I got the perfect present from the boys in blue and white. Victory over high-flying South American champions Estudiantes was a very welcome surprise, and in the stadium was welcomed at full time by an outpouring of pure relief and joy. And that was just me. More on this most heroic triumph in a very short while.

It has also emerged in Clarin this week that various sets of Barra Brava will have their flights and stays in South Africa for the World Cup paid for by the Kirchner government, in exchange for certain concessions (basically to stop fighting and maiming each other. Hmm, a pretty tall order I think). In all seriousness for a moment the influence of the Barra Brava on Argentine football is nothing but poisonous, check out my colleague Mark’s excellent article for a full picture of their activities.

Not one to miss a trick however, and being completely devoid of funds to travel in 2010, Im considering writing my own request to Pta. Kirchner for a bit of a hand. If you’re reading this Cristina: I solemnly promise from this day forward to refrain from all violent acts inside the stadiums until June, and cut down on the violent acts outside the stadiums. It will be tough, but I’m prepared to make this sacrifice to travel to the World Cup. Ball’s in your court now señora.

Heart-stopping victory en el cilindro:

As touched upon above, Racing Club achieved only their second win of the Apertura with a 1-0 victory over Estudiantes. Normally goal-shy forward Pablo Lugüercio put the Avellaneda club ahead after only four minutes with a goal on the counter attack. La Academia then put up the barricades as Estudiantes pushed for an equaliser. Clarin summed it up perfectly: it was truly “corazon en la boca” stuff. The entire stadium thought an equaliser had arrived midway through the second half for striker Mauro Boselli, after a mistake by Racing keeper De Olivera; the linesman saw differently however, and the goal was disallowed for handball. Right call I say…

Relegation rivals falter:

Meanwhile the other teams at the bottom of the table struggled, with only Gimnasia L.P recording a victory, a well-earned 4-1 triumph over C.A Huracan. Chacarita Juniors will be kicking themselves after matching league leaders Newell’s Old Boys in the storms of Friday. They deserved at least a draw, but were defeated 1-0 thanks to a frankly inexplicable own goal from defender Omar Zarif. More on this below, but draw your own conclusion here. (N.B. The defenders are in white!)

Fellow strugglers Atletico Tucúman then gave River Plate a scare at El Monumental on Sunday, leading 1-0 for much of the game before Las Gallinas rallied in the second half, eventually running out 3-1 victors.

Best of the Rest:

Pick of the games this week was Independiente’s stunning 3-0 triumph away at rivals San Lorenzo. Goals from Gandin, Gomez and Nuñez sealed victory for the “other” Avallaneda club, who now have an outside chance of winning the Apertura. The only consolation for San Lorenzo was that it could have been many, many more. San Lorenzo’s misery was compounded by the expulsion of Alejandro Gomez, who then gestured to the fans while leaving the pitch and was held by the police on returning to the dressing room!

Boca Juniors once again let a lead slip to draw against Arsenal de Sarandi. Los Bosteros now face an uphill struggle to qualify for premier continental tournament Copa Libertadores, something that is almost unthinkable for the fans in blue and yellow. The club need at least 11 points to secure qualification, with only 15 remaining this season.

Full Results of Fecha 14:

Chacarita Jrs.

N.O. Boys
Tigre

Godoy Cruz (Mza.)
Banfield

Vélez Sarsfield
Colón

Argentinos Jrs.
San Lorenzo de A.

Independiente
River Plate

At. Tucumán
Arsenal F.C.

Boca Jrs.
Racing Club

Estudiantes L.P.
G. y Esgrima L.P.

Huracán
Rosario Ctral.

Lanús

Touching banner tribute of the week:

The banners that adorn the stadiums of this country often contain lines that could come straight from Shakespeare, but a particular tearjerker was“Me muero por verte, vivo para alentarte”. Seen at el cilindro Monday evening, a basic translation would be “It kills me to watch you, but I live to support you”!

Hero of the Week:

Being a linesman is a thankless task in professional football. It might be difficult to imagine anyone getting less respect than the referee, but looking at those poor forlorn creatures on the sidelines waving their flags about it is clear they manage this easily. So this column is going to buck the trend, and make Sergio Zoratti its hero. The linesman saw a hand where no-one else did, and refused to give an equaliser for Estudiantes even under massive pressure from the team. I salute you sir, when you’re right you’re right! Again, definitely handball.

Boludo of the Week:

One of the most fundamental rules of football is that if your team have the ball, the opposition cannot score. Unfortunately no-one informed the defence of Chacarita Juniors, who between them managed to turn an attacking corner into an own goal without one opposition player touching the ball. Seriously, it was an inexplicable turn of events. Fighting for your Primera lives, you can really do without this kind of Boludez.

That’s all from me this week, but I’ll sign off with the toast me and my Racing buddies gave at our post-victory dinner, one that sadly is seldom heard following La acade: “Salud por el triunfo glorioso de Racing!!”

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
diego buonanotte was in a terrible car wreck this morning the 3 guys with him all died and he has broken leg collar bone and chest injuries that i am not sure about... i am fucking gutted i love this player and for 3 of his friends to be killed is shocking news

rip

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
gracias cabron!

diego is out for an estimated 7 months and his three friends were buried today (god rest their souls)

very sad for him as a person and as a player as he was just about to make his move abroad possibly to sunderland.. hope he recovers fast both physically and emotionally...

Beast

The Observer
Sad for Diego , hope he recovers the kid already is a lightweight ...

Adam brilliant coverage from your bro , keep posting it man

Home of Barca Fans