• Verratti

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Gundogan

Votes: 23 27.1%
  • Other

Votes: 13 15.3%

• Total voters

Stric

So when Xavi eventually starts to wind up his career, I would like Iniesta to play the deeper, (Playmaker) role and Thiago to play the Iniesta role.

+1

For me it's Iniesta on the right, Fabregas on the left, and Thiago to rotate.

4 years isn't that short of a period, though. Pep's entire era lasted 4 years. In football it's a lifetime.

ceefoo

For me it's Iniesta on the right, Fabregas on the left, and Thiago to rotate.
From what I have seen from Fabregas and Thiago in a Barcelona jersey, I would probably put Thiago ahead of Cesc at this moment.

I feel he understands the Barca system better than Cesc and his role within the team.

DavidVillano1

He turns 29 this year(!) and isn't likely to leave Bayern now... Nonsense.
He's easily still got at least 4-5 years in him at the top level, but yeh the deal is not likely. But stand by that he would be the perfect replacement as he is currently one if not the best midfielder in the world and can play that Xavi role. Thiago has potential to be top drawer but he's not near disciplined enough to do that role and losses possession far too often in key areas.

As for 'nonsense' posts, you have a habit of them;

* Hummels is better in almost every aspect to Thiago Silva
* Lucas Leiva is one the most underrated footballers in the world
* Bartra > Varane
* Sagna defends better than Alves and should replace Alves with him or Van der viel

Need I go on? ;)

mixer

He's easily still got at least 4-5 years in him at the top level, but yeh the deal is not likely. But stand by that he would be the perfect replacement as he is currently one if not the best midfielder in the world and can play that Xavi role. Thiago has potential to be top drawer but he's not near disciplined enough to do that role and losses possession far too often in key areas.

As for 'nonsense' posts, you have a habit of them;

* Hummels is better in almost every aspect to Thiago Silva
* Lucas Leiva is one the most underrated footballers in the world
* Bartra > Varane
* Sagna defends better than Alves and should replace Alves with him or Van der viel

Need I go on? ;)
These are just only my opinions (and I was trolling the one with Sagna, but he really is doing a good job for Arsenal this year, unlike Alves)... But claiming that a player who is close to 30 will replace a player who is 33 is just weird to me. It's clear we need a younger player for years

DavidVillano1

These are just only my opinions (and I was trolling the one with Sagna, but he really is doing a good job for Arsenal this year, unlike Alves)... But claiming that a player who is close to 30 will replace a player who is 33 is just weird to me. It's clear we need a younger player for years
Was also my 'opinion' at this point in time Bastian is the ideal replacement for Xavi. It's not a long term solution, obviously, but the likes of Thiago are not ready to play that role.

A long term replacement, then it's Gundogan, but Dortmund won't be selling him this summer either.

Sagna has been terrible this year and for a while, many Arsenal fans were raging he came back into the team over Jenkinson. Alves is younger, better defensively and far superior going forward and performed better in the last two years than Sanga. Not sure how often you've watched Arsenal play tbh.

mixer

Was also my 'opinion' at this point in time Bastian is the ideal replacement for Xavi. It's not a long term solution, obviously, but the likes of Thiago are not ready to play that role.
Yeah, he would be an ideal replacement at this point, but at this point he's unreachable. He's doing very well in Bayern, has strong spot in the lineup and for sure isn't likely to leave.

DavidVillano1 said:
A long term replacement, then it's Gundogan, but Dortmund won't be selling him this summer either.
Gundogan would be great but I think he's not needed now. Thiago will do the job honestly IMO. Gundogan? In summer 2014 maybe.

DavidVillano1 said:
Sagna has been terrible this year and for a while, many Arsenal fans were raging he came back into the team over Jenkinson. Alves is younger, better defensively and far superior going forward and performed better in the last two years than Sanga. Not sure how often you've watched Arsenal play tbh.
Not quite often, really, but when I have, he performed well (especially in bigger games, against Man Utd for example)

DucdeOrléans

Personally I would love to see us buy Verratti but that is highly unrealistic. I believe that his talent is unparalleled in his age group on his position and that he has a marvelous career ahead of him. I might be a bit biased since he features for both Italia and PSG. I see Thiago more as a mixture between Iniesta and Xavi although he resembles the former more IMO.

Cesc is a completely different type of player.

Nothing tells me that Sergi Roberto would ever reach the heights of Xavi or even come close to doing that.

So currently Verratti would be my pick.

mixer

Verratti and Gundogan are both Madrid transfer targets. If we won't go for them now, they can be in white shirt already.

J

James88

Marco Verratti is the closest thing to Xavi among the young players today.
He is nothing like Pirlo.
Thiago is not as Xavi, is totally different.

Icarium

Lifestealer
No one can replace the legend that is Xavi. Best midfielder ever. A true genius. We have to change the entire system and i think that is the way we are headed.

BerkeleyBernie

There are different components to Xavi's game, and there are also skills he has always lacked. With the majority of teams bunkering down against Barça, his most brilliant skills are largely unnecessary: a moving pivot tying defense-midfield-attack (Positioning) with the ability to retain the ball under pressure (Ball Control) and impeccably pass to teammates with space (Vision and Precision).

So, for me, the question is what can other players bring (that Xavi didn't) that can help against bunker defenses/counterattacking teams? I think those skills are 1) tight space dribbling, 2) shooting, especially outside, 3) speed to get back on breaks, 4) height for headers and aerial duels.

I think Thiago and Gündoğan have positioning, vision, and touch similar to Xavi. Both of them bring better shooting boots than Xavi. Thiago is also an excellent dribbler on the attack, so I'd give him the nod.

Home of Barca Fans