Iniesta: “We need to pick ourselves up and get back to the league”

F

Flavia

Jordi Clos
04/25/2013 15:10

The Barça midfielder reflected on the defeat to Bayern this lunchtime and explained what the team need to do in the return leg, as well as insisting on the importance of the league title.

2013-04-25_ENTRENO_36.v1366891833.JPG

After Tuesday’s painful defeat at the Allianz Arena, Andrés Iniesta was calm, but honest when he spoke to the media this lunchtime: “they were better than us in every aspect. It’s not that we weren’t up for the game, it’s just that they are in top form and they were better – we cannot deny that. Bayern and Borussia are both on top of their game, both technically and physically and that has been made clear this week. Right now, in these games, they have both got the better of the teams they’ve faced – that’s the way it is”.
Iniesta also believes : “people are being too unfair to the team”, following the defeat, “- in the last five seasons we have won two Champions Leagues, reached three more semi-finals , we are on the point of taking our fourth league title, Super Cups…….. what a record! We have spent many years fighting for everything. For me, you can talk about the end of an era when we have gone a while without winning anything. I think this team has done enough to deserve respect”.

Return game

It’s undoubtedly a tall order that faces the team next Tuesday in the return leg, but Iniesta believes: “we have to go out to win the game – if we can get a chance to do what seems 'almost impossible’ then we try and go for it. I’m not saying we will get five, but I am saying that we have to go out and play it as if it were a final. Sometimes when everything seems to be lost, things you didn’t expect happen , we have to fight till the end and if we lose, well we can at least say we did everything we could”.

Focus switches back to domestic competition

Before that return match though, there is a trip to Bilbao for Saturday’s league game, where a win could hand Barça the title and Iniesta made it clear: “the only thing to do is to pick ourselves up and get back to winning the league. Now we have to switch our focus, go to Bilbao, win and ensure that the league title is one game closer. Athletic will demand that we are at our best. We have the experience of playing them over the last few seasons and we know that it will be an intense and physical game" .
Finally, Iniesta insisted: “this has been one of the toughest leagues of recent years and to come back and win it after we lost it last season is very important. It can’t be called a bad season when you win the league, the Champions League might be more prestigious, but the league is the most important. It would be a mistake to say this had been a poor season, just because we didn’t win the Champions League”.

Antimadridista1

They need to be back to basics. Tiki-taka, pressing, motivation => WINNING mentality.
This is the only solution but I think that new blood (Hummels,Neymar...) will make it more easy next season.

Thierry

More dramatic.....A PENALTY AFFAIR could be looming..
after extra time.......... not even I would predict it.

Garrus

people are being too unfair to the team
This is the most important phrase, I think we know who he meant by 'People'.

Faceless

No more faces at night
When pique rallied the fans for the return leg against Milan we came out victorious.It will happen again. :iniesta:

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I like Iniesta but I think he too, is in denial. I don't know what he was expecting from the fans after that pathetic performance at the Allianz. "Job well done"? The thing is, it wasn't like they had given their best efforts. If they did and still lost, the fans would have reacted differently.

Let's call a spade a spade. With this kind of "we are not as bad as the fans think we are" attitude, Barca will not go anywhere.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I just hope we win the game @ the Camp Nou, even if it's 2-1 or whatever. Go out with our heads held high.

Keikoku

Cabbage
The Don has spoken! Let's raise our head and look forward for a better performance from our team. I want to see we play like we fought Milan at Camp Nou again. Make it through or not as long we try our best I'll be happy. :D

ryuken

I actually want another beating for us to realize our problems cuz it seems every1 is still in denial. And a comeback of 5-0 is unlikely with that defence.

Home of Barca Fans