What needs to happen for FC Barcelona?

Jelboo

I think we can all agree that things have changed in the past two seasons. Things aren't like they used to be, our players are getting older, and strong opponents have completely figured us out. We won the title, yes, but I don't consider it to be a glorious victory. My question is simple. What needs to happen for this slow decline to stop?

The question is general, but I feel the "problem" is general too. Our losses against Milan, Madrid and Munchen illustrated to me that the days of tiki taka are slowly drawing to a close.

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
The cycle is over, simply that. Cruyff cycle lasted from 1989-90 to 1993-94, Rijkaard cycle lasted from 2003-04 to 2005-06 and Pep cycle from 2008-09 to 2011-12. What Barça have to do is a revolution like we already did before:

1) Cleaning the team. Most valuable players stay, the rest out. It doesn't matter how good they have been in the past or how many years they have played for is.
2) New fresh meat. Buy good young players full motivated and some good old experienced ones for back ups who have never won anything important and want to retire with some titles.
3) Give some chances to youth setup. If we can save money, better. There is a lot of talent there.
4) Change the way the team is playing. Our rivals know how to stop us. Like Einstein said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Cruyff, Rijkaard and Pep played same styles but different at the same time.

The cycle is over, simply that. Cruyff cycle lasted from 1989-90 to 1993-94, Rijkaard cycle lasted from 2003-04 to 2005-06 and Pep cycle from 2008-09 to 2011-12. What Barça have to do is a revolution like we already did before:

1) Cleaning the team. Most valuable players stay, the rest out. It doesn't matter how good they have been in the past or how many years they have played for is.
2) New fresh meat. Buy good young players full motivated and some good old experienced ones for back ups who have never won anything important and want to retire with some titles.
3) Give some chances to youth setup. If we can save money, better. There is a lot of talent there.
4) Change the way the team is playing. Our rivals know how to stop us. Like Einstein said: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Cruyff, Rijkaard and Pep played same styles but different at the same time.

Yeah, I can see us needing quite a few changes. Still, I can see a new era of dominance starting next season, as long as the right changes are made (a bit like what happened in 2008 I suppose). Or our current era continuing and the last 2 seasons being turned into a blip, if you want to look at it that way. After all, we still have playes like Xavi, Iniesta, and of course Messi. And we've shown that we can still be amazing if we get our tactics right and are motivated (i.e. the 2nd leg against Milan). Which is why a new coach (with Tito being made assistant coach again, which IMO is best for all parties) could be the most important change IMO.

I'm not sure we need to change our style or get rid of tiki-taka or whatever though. We just need to change the way we execute it so it works as well as it used to (bring back the pressing, etc, etc). As well as get a coach who isn't afraid to change things up when things aren't working out.

Last edited:

ceefoo

re: Team Set-Up & Defence

It must be abundantly clear to everyone by now (including our incompetent management team), that playing only 2 out-n-out defenders against a Top Team will not cut it.

It is no coincidence that since Puyol and Abidal have been out of the team, our defence has gone to pot.

- Our defensive strategy is/was to use a high back-line. Players positioned, efficiently to win/receive possession.
- Defend as a whole team by closing the pitch, engaging the ball, denying the opponent time and space to play their way out of trouble and snuff-out offensive play at source.
* We do not defend by dropping deep getting numbers behind the ball.

During Guardiola's term, we would implement the high press, coupled with the six second rule winning the ball high up the pitch, which would maintain distance from our goal and boxing the opponent in their own half.

We all know the benefits of possession football.
Pros: A team cannot score if it doesn't have the ball.
Cons: It leaves you vulnerable to the counter-attack.

Team Press: Since Tito has been coach and possibly towards the end of Pep's reign this tactic has relaxed.

This change has presented opponents with the opportunity to break through the first line of defence and leave the back-line vulnerable.

The team press is one of the most effective defensive/offensive strategies that can be employed by a team of Barca's (physical) stature. They do not have the physical tools (strength & height) to compete with most teams. So they heavily rely on enforcing their style of play on opponents.

A study of Barca's defensive personnel and their roles this season will tell us more.
Dani Alves (RB) - Large proportion of goals conceded in his position. Weakens the defence.
Montoya (RB) - Decent. Not looked out of place.
Adriano (FB) - Played okay when selected. Disrupted by injuries. Prone to errors.
Jordi Alba (LB) - Had a reasonably good debut season. Not a natural defender.
Pique (CB) - Has not performed consistently. Needs to play alongside a leader to perform at best.
Puyol (CB) - Spent most of season out injured.
Bartra (CB) - Distrust from MGMT meant limited opportunities. Has done okay when called upon.
Mascherano (Converted CB) - Rarely lets the team down, but is not going to win many headers.
Abidal (CB/LB) - Hardly played. Recovering from illness. Top defender if fit and healthy.

None of these defenders have the annotation "Solid"
It says a lot when one of your best defenders in not even a proper defender.

Much of the way a team defends comes down to mentality. Barca's philosophy is to play possession based, attacking football. When we take a lead, we do not sit back and defend it. We continue to commit players forward, try to dominate the play and score more goals.
Of course, this philosophy has led Barca to unprecedented success, so it obviously works more often than not.

WE CANNOT continue playing a back-line that consists of both Dani Alves and Jordi Alba (both first choice). This does not and will not result in a solid defence.

Against Europes elite, you can only get away with this for so long.

Jelboo

I think a change in mentality is needed. Firstly, as far as tactics go. We have no alternatives to our main kind of football, and even if we did have alternatives, we don't have the players for it. We need guys who are stronger and faster and more adapted to play direct football in those cases where we need it.
Secondly we definitely need to strengthen that weak-ass defense of ours and get players that offer offensive possibilities who are not named "Lionel Messi".

I think the management should not be afraid to use the money it has. We are filthy rich and there are talented players all over the world. I would not think less of my team if they bought a bunch of good, foreign players if they turned out to be beneficial to the team. I'm thinking of people like Hummels, Kompany, Wilshere, Götze, Aguero, Falcao... Expensive people, yes, but also definitely better than some of the people we have now. I think we need to be more aggressive on the transfer market.

I don't know guys, I'm not an expert. Just some ideas. I could be wrong and maybe the team isn't declining at all. But something definitely feels different compared to two years ago.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
Buy a tall, Fast defender, A dangerous winger (neymar) and a CF if villa leaves.

Why a CF? We play with Messi in the middle anyway. If anything is about to change on that front we need a new coach.

Mitchell1978

I think a change in mentality is needed. Firstly, as far as tactics go. We have no alternatives to our main kind of football, and even if we did have alternatives, we don't have the players for it. We need guys who are stronger and faster and more adapted to play direct football in those cases where we need it.
Secondly we definitely need to strengthen that weak-ass defense of ours and get players that offer offensive possibilities who are not named "Lionel Messi".

I think the management should not be afraid to use the money it has. We are filthy rich and there are talented players all over the world. I would not think less of my team if they bought a bunch of good, foreign players if they turned out to be beneficial to the team. I'm thinking of people like Hummels, Kompany, Wilshere, Götze, Aguero, Falcao... Expensive people, yes, but also definitely better than some of the people we have now. I think we need to be more aggressive on the transfer market.

I don't know guys, I'm not an expert. Just some ideas. I could be wrong and maybe the team isn't declining at all. But something definitely feels different compared to two years ago.

Barça isn't filty rich, yes the revenue streams are high but the picture is quite nuanced because barça still have too much debt that needs to be brought down to acceptable levels (improvement have been made but still there's some way to go). As far as i know the transfer budget is around 40-50 million, maybe more if we can sell some players for a decent amount of money. Imo we should focus on our defence first and foremost, and if villa goes we will need another quality striker (preferable someone complementary with Messi).

Last edited:

ceefoo

Barca vs Bayern - What has been learned?

This is the wake up call we needed.

This is what you get when you continuously place all your eggs in to one basket (Messi).

We have forgotton what has brought us unprecendented success over the past few years.

We used to be the hardest working team around. Now we are far from it.

The principles that Pep instilled in this team have all but faded away. The team and MGMT has put so much responsibility on Messi's shoulders that when he plays, the rest of the attack walk around with a cigar on.

They are so used to having Messi around to rely on that they are lost when they have to perform without him.

Once again Bayern were: Fitter, Stronger, Faster, more disciplined, more balanced, had more desire, and were utterly Ruthless.
As soon as Bayern lost possession the whole team would get back in to position and regain shape.

At the moment we have a lot of small, technical, tidy players and not enough penetration.

Midfield
With Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets in the centre, our midfield of late lacks intensity, power and pace. As well as goals. Something has to give.
- Not enough decisive attacking play and defensive workrate. Movement off the ball needs to return. No Movement, No Tiki Taka.

Attack
Our attack, bar Messi, is impotent. We have Wingers that are small, physically weak, cannot beat a man, not particularly quick, and do not provide a goal threat.
- Not enough variety in attack and too predictable. Aggressive Forwards that attack the penalty box and put defenders under pressure are a must.

Defence
Our defence without Puyol lacks leadership and organisation. And our MGMT has become arrogant in believing that we can get away with playing two attacking fullbacks that can't defend and playing a 5ft 9" Defensive Midfielder as your FIRST CHOICE Centre Back.
- Not enough "Defensive Minded" defenders. Players that are comfortable defending are needed, who won't get bullied off the ball and can deal with crosses.
- Too open to counter attacks. There needs to be more urgency when we lose the ball high up field to track back and help the defence.

Too many players have become too comfortable with their places in the team because of MGMT's lack of rotation and competition for places.

The transfer policy has become blasé. If we want to sign a DM and play him at CB, no problem.
We can even play a Midfielder at CF, that'll work.
NO, it won't.

This team of players and staff has lost sight of what made this team great and envied all over. It has become complacent.
They have failed to bring in suitable replacements, specifically in attack and defence of similar, or better quality.

This club still has plenty of quality in its squad, but the balance needs addressing. And with a few new essential signings in the summer and some dead wood going the other way, I believe they can put this right. But ONLY if MGMT see the error of their ways.
However I don't believe Tito will ever be the man to take us forward. Tito's tactical nous is has been tested to the full over the past weeks and he's starting to become found out. Cutting corners only works for so long.

The team itself only requires minor surgery. Team strategy is a different matter. You cannot keep repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.
If some of these issues are addressed throughout the rest of the calendar year, then maybe we can return to this:

[YOUTUBE]lGuaQ1khn2k[/YOUTUBE]​

You cannot stand still in football. Even the best has to keep improving and evolving, or eventually you will get caught up and overtaken.

Home of Barca Fans