Éric Abidal makes his return to competitive play!!!

F

Flavia

Éric Abidal makes his return to competitive play for FC Barcelona after recovering from liver transplant surgery

WWW.FCBARCELONA.CAT

04/06/2013 23:35

The French defender made his return to competitive play this Saturday after making a full recovery from liver transplant surgery

jh4lua.jpg

Éric Abidal has the heart of a warrior. This Saturday, April 6 of 2013, the French international made his return to competitive play after lengthy recovery from liver transplant surgery.

The light at the end of the tunnel

Abidal realized his dream of returning to the football pitch on the 86th minute of the FC Barcelona-RCD Mallorca match. The Frenchman came on for Gerard Piqué and he played the last 20 minutes of the game. It’s been 406 days since the player had featured in a competitive match. His last match with the team was on February 26 of 2012 against Atlético Madrid, a few days later, on the 29th of the same month, the defender featured for his country against Germany in an international friendly.

On Match 15 of 2011 a tumour was detected on the player's liver and two days later he was accepted to hospital. On the 3rd of May he made his return to competitive play in the semi-finals of the Champions League against Real Madrid. That season, Abidal lifted the European crown at Wembley after FC Barcelona defeated Manchester United in the final (3-1).

The Frenchman then suffered the terrible news that his liver needed to be replaced. He underwent liver transplant surgery on the 10th of April of 2012. That summer, he started his recovery process, and in October he participated in training regiment in the Val d’Arán. At the end of last year he started to train with the team, and in February he was given the medical all-clear to return to competitive play. In addition to his game this evening, Abidal featured in a friendly last week with Barça B against Istres.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abidal has played 20 minutes tonight, touched 12 times the ball, recovered 3 balls and didn't lose any.

Quotes from Abidal after the game(barcastuff):

Abidal: "This is a unique moment. I thank all the people that have been behind me... People at the hospital... But especially my cousin."

Abidal: "I told the coach before the game I felt good, that I was ready to help the team."

Abidal: "My advice to people with in the same situation is to fight hard, to be grateful to God, and to pray a lot."

Abidal: "I feel great. Apart from my family, football is my life. I didn't want to retire without having played again."

Abidal "What Tito said at the Gamper game helped me a lot." *vilanova said at team presentation in august: "abi, your fight is our strength"

Abidal: "If I can, I will continue playing for one or two more years. If not, you can hire me here at Barça TV... (laughs)"

Abidal: "I failed some passes, but guess it's normal after being away for a year. I'm happy we didn't concede while I was on the pitch."

Abidal: "I said to Alexis before the game: 'You'll score today, don't forget me!'. I knew it was his day..."

48115_471262082946263_120648419_n.jpg

483872_471272592945212_749618532_n.jpg

563772_471273279611810_239588727_n.jpg

156841_471273746278430_227583915_n.jpg

ceefoo

Great story!

Was expecting him to come on as sub and his return to first team action lifted the spirit of everyone tonight.

Do we know how his body was feeling after the match?

What's the story with his cousin? Is his cousin recovering from illness as well? Or is he acknowledging the support he's had during his recuperation?

Welcome back :abidal: :barca scarf:

Mr Hulot

What a moving moment. What a man he is, full of drive to enjoy life.
Also, this is a great time for everyone to thank science and scientists. They are the people that really saved him!

Gilberto

I have to admit: It is amazing that abidal beat cancer, BUT I don't think he will ever be able to play properly. I hope I'm wrong.

ShandyFFM

is it just me or do we miss so much cleverness and calmly without abidal..... even pique has lost his touch and his style imo...

Home of Barca Fans