Germany

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
Joachim Low sad excuse as a manager ? He's been great for Germany !

Startling fact : Germany have reached the quarter finals of every World Cup since 1954 !

They also hold the record for most semi finals appearances, 11 one more than Brazil !

S

Super Pippo

And despite all that they still aren't the most successful World Cup nation in Europe. :beer2:

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
You won 2 when nobody even knew when, where and what the World Cup was.

And those 2 WC titles were actually bought. Although the referee involved in that playoff match vs Norway (i think it was 38), who gave 10 minutes overtime until italy was able to equalize before they won from a coin flip (!), was a german. A fascist helping fascists ...

EDIT:

Just checked it: it was actually not the equalizer but the winning goal. And the ref was austrian (which was basically the same as autria was about to get annected by germany).

But even funnier was the WC 34. Too bad the details are only on the german version of wikipedia, but its worth putting the game reports into a translator:

The link: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fußball-Weltmeisterschaft_1934

According to the reports, the title was a complete joke. Referees where special guests of Mussolini the day before they had to ref matches involving italy. Italy basically destroyed Spain by injuring 3 spanish players (substitues werent allowed back then) in the quarters, while the ref didnt really care. In the semi, the only goal was scored by several italian players who pushed the austrian GK over the line when he (the GK) had it fully in his arms. Even better: The ref headed a cross away from the austrian striker, who was alone in front of the italian goal! The same ref was doing the final vs the czechsks (sp?) as well, where he again didnt really bother handing red cards to italians trying to waste their opponents.

Last edited:

VivaBarca

I honestly think 1930, 1934 and 1938 World Cups shouldn't count. They were absolute farces.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
it doesn't matter if the first two wins were completely crooked, they put italy above ze germans and that's all that matters!

FORZA ITALIA!

S

Super Pippo

Crap. Type Meazza into Google and do your homework, then we'll see whats a farce.

We have 4 stars on our shirt, they don't, its as simple as that.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
Crap. Type Meazza into Google and do your homework, then we'll see whats a farce.

Hard to find details from the WC 34, but here are some quotes:

"Meazza out-played an Austrian forward, dribbled past him, then collided into the grounded Austrian goalkeeper, Peter Platzer, who had pounced on the ball to quell the attack. The ball came loose, hit the post and bounced to Enrique Guaita, to score the only game of the match. ...

Cries of a conspiracy were heard in the 54th minute after Meazza, who was playing in the final even though carrying an injury from the semifinals, punched Rudolf Krcil in the back in retaliation for a hard foul, without being disciplined by referee Ivan Eklind, who had also officiated the semi-final. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giuseppe_Meazza

"The quarterfinal game between teams from Italy and Spain was dramatic and the referees handed the victory to the "squadra azzurra" ...

The Swiss referee assisting the additional game between Italy and Spain 1:0 was suspended by his own federation after the competition. The reason was favourizing the host team."

http://www.worldcup.isn.pl/en/cups/1934.htm

"Critics contended the Italians only won because the tournament had been staged on their home soil. ...

Referee Ivan Eklind was said to have met with Benito Mussolini prior to taking charge of Italy's semifinal and final games, leading many to believe the Swede made several disputed calls in the Italians' favour. "

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/worldcup2006/history/events/1934.html

Beast

The Observer
WC's for me started in the 50's ..even as half Italian and originally my background is one i can't dispute that .

VivaBarca

I completly agree Beast. The world was on edge and the fascist forces in Europe had to get it there own way.

Spector

Joachim Low sad excuse as a manager ? He's been great for Germany !

Startling fact : Germany have reached the quarter finals of every World Cup since 1954 !

They also hold the record for most semi finals appearances, 11 one more than Brazil !

That's quite an incredible record, I never knew that. And yet, they leave so few memories behind for a team that consistent. I can't argue with 1974 obviously, but even there, everyone talks about the Dutch. 1978 had Vogts as captain, so...:lol: and I would argue they got to the final in 82 and 86 by being merely professional. Let's not forget the disgraceful "fixed" match against Austria in 1982 that saw them go through the group stage when they should have been out. Then there was the criminal act in the semi by Schumacher on Battiston. His successful motor racing career afterwards did not excuse him. They deserved 1990, but after that, they've been a bit formulaic.

el tren

Adolfo Valencia
That's quite an incredible record, I never knew that. And yet, they leave so few memories behind for a team that consistent.

And thats actually no surprise. OUr national team really never impressed tactically or technically. Their main strengths where mental and physical power, and that never makes up for a huge spectacle ... and its also very boring too watch, even when your german ;)

I still honestly wonder how some of our teams, mostly in 94 and 98 ever made the quarterfinals. These teams were better pub teams with bunches of limited players, often lead by very limited coaches too (94 and 98 were Vogts days, but Völler in 2002 wasnt much better id say). I mean playing with Sweepers still in 98 and even in 2002 occasionally werent really up-to-date tactics, and Germany also sticked to their aging heroes way too long (Matthäus still played WC98 at the age of 38).

Löw on the other hand is a coach (and probably one of the first coaches to ever manage our national team) who is finally very open-minded to new tactical approaches and generally towards new developments in football. He showed that in 2006 and 2008 by leading a still limited team to WC 3rd and EC 2nd places.

Im really wondering how he will be doing at WC2010. Our team still sucks, but we finally got some young and very promising players, that was also obvious by our success at recent youth WC/ECs. They might still be too young for the next seniors WC, but im esp. confident with regards to the WC2014. Then we might really have a team of strong players, and if we still keep our mental power, we might finally win a WC again - one that also leaves a memory behind.

VivaBarca

Germany will defianetly reach the quarters but the draw might be unkind to them. They qualified impressively ( apart from Finland games ) and still have the good players.

Spector

I also think Joachim Low is a good manager- he was quite attack-minded last year in Euro 2008. I was glad to see them get to the final because of that, once the Dutch went out.

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
This German-Italy fued, quiet an interesting stat this:-

Germany won the world cup in Italy

Italy won the world cup in Germany

Home of Barca Fans