Alba out for 10 days

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
ALBA_FINLANDIA.v1364046996.JPG

Spain's draw against Finland turned out to be costly for both Spain and Barcelona. Towards the end of the game, Jordi Alba picked up an injury, with what looked to be a muscle tear –to be confirmed by the Spain medical staff– which may see the left-back sidelined for several weeks.

The injury news will be a blow to Tito Vilanova, who has a two-leg Champions League tie against PSG coming up. Alba joins Carles Puyol and Adriano on the Barça injury list.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Timing stinks but it is what it is...I suppose, on the bright side, this team has seemingly had to endure defensive crises every season around this juncture in Champions League and I can't recall it determining our success/failure...Hopefully that continues but it sure doesn't look good, especially considering how much of a weapon Alba is

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Will Adriano be back by then?

It would be a beautiful moment if Abidal was to come out and lock shit down in Paris but I know I'm dreaming, he can't be game-fit can he?

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

It would be a beautiful moment if Abidal was to come out and lock shit down in Paris but I know I'm dreaming, he can't be game-fit can he?

He doesn't look near ready to contribute for us yet from the look of his play with the B team...I read something that the club was thinking closer to the end of the season for his debut but I think it's too early and too risky for him to play in this kind of encounter - I doubt very much the coaching staff or doctors would find that ideal either

I can definitely see a back 4 of Alves-Pique-Masch-Montoya working. Might even be more secure defensively than Alves-Pique-Masch-Alba (though we lose Alba's attacking abilities). Hope Montoya's up for it.

Timing stinks but it is what it is...I suppose, on the bright side, this team has seemingly had to endure defensive crises every season around this juncture in Champions League and I can't recall it determining our success/failure...Hopefully that continues but it sure doesn't look good, especially considering how much of a weapon Alba is

Yeah, didn't we use makeshift back lines in the 2009 CL final and the 2nd leg of the semi final? Didn't turn out too bad...
It's a big blow nonetheless though.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

I don't think so. He is also out for few weeks.

Richard.H

Yeah, didn't we use makeshift back lines in the 2009 CL final and the 2nd leg of the semi final? Didn't turn out too bad...
It's a big blow nonetheless though.

Yep. The back four at that time was Puyol - Pique - Toure - Sylvinho. Abidal was suspended I think and Dani was injured.

Even the back 4 in the 2011 final was makeshift too. Mascherano had to slot in as Puyol was injured.

tello

This is ugly shit, I really hope the improvisations won't screw up our Parc de princes result !

Yep. The back four at that time was Puyol - Pique - Toure - Sylvinho. Abidal was suspended I think and Dani was injured.

Even the back 4 in the 2011 final was makeshift too. Mascherano had to slot in as Puyol was injured.

Let's not forget the 2011 semi:
Alves-Pique-Masch-Puyol

Wasn't Dani suspended for the 2009 final as well (and from what I remember, it was a pretty harsh yellow card that got him suspended)?

Speaking of Abidal btw, he was wrongly suspended because of a dive by Anelka and that could very well have cost us the final IMO (and it would have cost us the semi had Chelsea not been so wasteful). And they say Barca bribes UEFA :lol:
Off-topic, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

He should be back in 7-10 days according to barcastuff. Not as bad as we thought.

Really? Good news if it's true.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He should be back in 7-10 days according to barcastuff. Not as bad as we thought.

There is no "according to barcastuf".
That's just a guy, unrelated in any way to official Barca sources, translating from Spanish press or simply copy pasting from other sources, and often from completely worthless sources like dailystar, sun or similar.
It's a fun twitter account but not to be taken seriously or as a source.

Home of Barca Fans