Sandro Rosell: “We'll wait for Tito Vilanova as long as we have to”

starman

http://www.fcbarcelona.com

President Sandro Rosell and Club Spokesman Toni Freixa held a press conference this afternoon to express the Board’s absolute confidence in manager Tito Vilanova and his coaching staff. “I want to make it very clear that the Board stands behind Tito Vilanova while he’s away, we’ll wait for him as long as we have to,” declared Mr Rosell. “His recovery is our priority and I’d consider this season a success if he fully recovers from his illness. He will not leave even if it costs us every single title,” added Rosell.

The president, who travelled to New York City to visit Tito Vilanova last week, confirmed that the manager “is doing well and he’s very encouraged, considering he’s undergoing chemotherapy and radiotherapy.” He added: “Tito is eager to return, he’s counting down the days.” The FC Barcelona president also confirmed that the manager could be back in Barcelona by the end of March. In the event that Barça defeat AC Milan, the manager could be on the bench for the away leg of the Champions League quarter finals.

Mr Rosell also highlighted the work done by Jordi Roura and Barça’s coaching staff in Tito Vilanova’s stead: “For me he’s a hero. We have to thank him for the responsibility he’s taken on, because it’s something that was unexpected, and also the coaching staff and the players, who are carrying a heavy burden.”

On the team’s current form, Rosell reminded the journalists that “nothing is on fire” and that the team has gone “many days without a leader,” which has led to a dip in “freshness and tension.” With that said, he called for respect for a team that has played four and a half years of brilliant football and that deserves “more credit than two lost games.”

Last edited:

Tomchin

I would have preferred that they could convince Pep to join us for several weeks to take over from Roura. That surely would have given a much-needed moral boost before the Milan return-leg.

I think they have contacted Pep, but he probably wasn't willing to do it. Besides Pep, there weren't other good options available (Luis Enrique isn't really proven on the highest level either)

jamrock

And what will happen if he has a relapse next season, which is very likely, we write of that season as well.

I know he trying to ride laporta's legacy as long as possible, but at some point he will need to make a difficult decision

F

Flavia

And what will happen if he has a relapse next season, which is very likely, we write of that season as well.

I know he trying to ride laporta's legacy as long as possible, but at some point he will need to make a difficult decision

How do you know is very likely he will relapse again? And if this were to happen, I'm sure Tito would resign.

P

PhilS

This is a tough situation, the team is handling it well. If Tito can come back and finish out this season winning La Liga, that would set the stage for his returning for next season. If he can't come back this season, or if the team somehow fails to win La Liga, or he has a relapse, the team would have to bring in a new ("temporary") coach before next season. With a half a billion euro a year business, loyalty to an ailing leader who can't do his job will not be infinite.

jamrock

How do you know is very likely he will relapse again? And if this were to happen, I'm sure Tito would resign.

Because he relapsed before and cancer in a illness where relapse his always possible, its something people with cancer carry around in their minds always.

starman

This is a tough situation, the team is handling it well. If Tito can come back and finish out this season winning La Liga, that would set the stage for his returning for next season. If he can't come back this season, or if the team somehow fails to win La Liga, or he has a relapse, the team would have to bring in a new ("temporary") coach before next season. With a half a billion euro a year business, loyalty to an ailing leader who can't do his job will not be infinite.

You know...I wish Tito all the health in the world. However, we have no guarantees he will stick around the whole time next season. That's why if they want to keep Tito, then they must bring in a competent assistant who could fill his place while he's gone. The current situation should by no means happen again.

Arachnid

I'm not sure that you guys know that having a temporary replacement in the form of an interim manager is perfectly possible.

Worse still: I'm not sure that Rosell is aware of that fact either.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
So they've found proof of Rosell signing an agreement with the Boixos before the election, which means he lied about it earlier

Home of Barca Fans