7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Jombi

He was always going to be very costly. He is one of those big name players right now who is really hot in the market. We paid 100 mil for neymar who was in his last year of contract too. Imo a big name will always sell costly.

What? Who said coutinho is not a playmaker?

What we need more than anything is a playmaker in the midfield. Our midfield is becoming worse every season. And there is no creativity there currently if not for an aging iniesta who saves the day sometimes.

The difference in quality in midfield and attack is massive right now and coutinho would be a great signing if we don't get verratti

None of those two are available.

We have to focus on players like Thomas Lemar, Fabinho and Wylan Cyprien.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Robert don't usually buy players we are linked with, he'll "surprise" us with Iborra or Enzo Perez:yes:

Seriously though, even if we really want him, Robert will have trouble bringing him. EPL clubs are rich and they don't need to sell anyone and Robert hasn't bought anyone from EPL, he has been dealing only with Spanish and French clubs so far.

Jenks

I think the odd screamer that he scores clouds people's judgement. This is a guy that was forced out of the #10 spot by Sterling. He's not going to improve Barcelona beyond adding some more depth.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Indeed. Would be tragic to pay 80m for Coutinho. A player who has struggled so much with consistency and performing when the spotlight is on him. Nice goals for sure, but doubt he'll score that many great ones in Barcelona to make up for lackluster play otherwise.

He's a big name for sure, but so is Pogba and a lot of people here dislike him :)

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I think the odd screamer that he scores clouds people's judgement. This is a guy that was forced out of the #10 spot by Sterling. He's not going to improve Barcelona beyond adding some more depth.

Coutinho pretty much played as an attacking mid that whole season for Liverpool.

He is a great player and played well in plenty of the bigger games. Dont know where this idea that he goes missing in spotlight is from.

gasgas

Well... After the injury he realy was not showing worth for 80m pricetag... Or was he?

Based on [MENTION=16674]Ghostmaster[/MENTION]
we can "groom" him to his old form then "groom" him to the CM that we need able to control the midfield and supporting the MSN without feeling the urge to always go to the box while he is a CM :D

CuleLife4Life

I don't think he is Barca quality. A bit too inconsisntet for my liking.

Also he did well for Brazil this week after being really underwhelming for Liverpool. Was he underwhelming because he is over it or was the injury hindering him? Hard to say. But he is only 24. Give him another year at pool and we go in for him if he makes that jump to next level like Suarez.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Based on @<a href="http://www.barcaforum.com/member.php?u=16674" target="_blank">Ghostmaster</a>
we can "groom" him to his old form then "groom" him to the CM that we need able to control the midfield and supporting the MSN without feeling the urge to always go to the box while he is a CM :D

He looked in fine form when he played with Brazil, surround him with better players than Lallana, Emre Can etc. and I think he would shine. Here are highlights from game against Uruguay:

Messi983

I think he has quality to play for Barça but just don't think he would fit into our system. I don't believe he can play as CM in 4-3-3 and we have Neymar as LW and Messi as AMC if we change formation to 4-2-3-1. Maybe he could play as RW but based on his price (which would be in Suarez's range if not higher) I don't think it's worth to risk buying him and then play him out of his best position(s) where we don't know how he'd do.

Home of Barca Fans