7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Centauri B

xavi best playmaker ever
iniesta best midfielder "all around" ever

coutinho is born number 10...
in my opinion he cannot play in the same position of iniesta because they are different...
don andres always played in the three of midfield because he's able to give his great contribute also in the middle, instead coutinho always played for attack (great assist-man)...

i think valverde will use him in the same position of neymar, despite now we play with 4-4-2.

I am really interested to find out where this idea that Coutinho cannot play in midfield comes from.

M

MessiCam

I am really interested to find out where this idea that Coutinho cannot play in midfield comes from.

Of course he can play as a 8 but he will play very high up the pitch and often drifts very centrally too but that could be due to Klopps chaotic system so I’ll reserve judgement until after a few games.

But he is definitely not a typical central midfielder.

gregorrin10

He actually played CM just earlier this season, before Mane got injured and their attack was Mane-Firmino-Salah, so not seeing where this 'can't play midfield' even comes from, just because he never played there before they bought Salah and also in the Brazil team.

Coutinho was never going to be brought in as your typical 'central midfielder' like Xavi was. He was always going to be Iniesta's long term successor, playing in a lot more advanced CM position, just like Andres has done, often drifting forward while beating 2 or 3 players on the go and providing that final pass after creating enough space for one or two of the attackers. And occasionally even playing wide left completely, when need for it, just like Coutinho can. But he must be played as a midfielder by default, especially since we lack a player of his ability and creativity in midfield big time, when Iniesta isn't on the pitch. Not to mention we'll have Dembele to provide that spark from the wide positions anyway, so there's simply a much bigger need in midfield for Coutinho.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

He actually played CM just earlier this season, before Mane got injured and their attack was Mane-Firmino-Salah, so not seeing where this 'can't play midfield' even comes from, just because he never played there before they bought Salah and also in the Brazil team.

He did play there before for Liverpool.

One of his most complete performances for Liverpool last season was away to West Ham where he ran the game from CM.

jamrock

There is a difference between being a CAM which xavi and others were, and playing in CAM which which coutinho certainly can, not like iniesta so people need to stop saying he will replace him, iniesta combined the CM/AM roll perfectly, coutinho's instincts are those of an AM first, who will look to get forward and score as often as possible, iniesta never did that, but coutinho can play the roll and learn how to balance his natural attacking instincts better over time.

So bring on the 4-3-3 baby, or the 4-2-3-1 and have in do what comes to him more naturally, it works either way.

henias

There's a difference, Coutinho plays a more AM role while Iniesta is better at the CM role. Like [MENTION=1732]jamrock[/MENTION] said, 4231 will fit perfect for Coutinho.

henias

Coutinho can play the role Iniesta has and they have many similar qualities.

I know but AM suits him better. I would also want him to be more involved in the final third. Iniesta is better at ball retention and more visionary based, while Coutinho looks to be more directly involved in the attacking front.

4231 will be perfect.

Home of Barca Fans