7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

M

MessiCam

He is not 150 million player. Ithink we will end up regretting tihs one.

At least so far this season hehasn't looked very good and injuries concern me..

He has been very good when he has played but I still have a problem with paying that amount of money for him. And yeah, he is injury prone.

BarçaBarça

Valuing players these days is pointless, if neymar was 230m
150m for a player less of quality doesn't sound terrible.

the market is changing it's hard to tell what is good or bad.. Pogba seemed like a terrible deal not too long ago now it seems like a huge bargain.

I still don't buy in to this. Only very very few clubs have unlimited funds. So 150M € for a player still sounds insane, because the way to fund such a deal is to go into further debt or establish an unprecedented income for a club. IMO Pogba wasn't a huge bargain - it was a very expensive deal, not quite worth it (yet). We got Umtiti for 25M, when everyone else pays 40-50M for young unproven defenders these days, so if you are clever, you can still make good deals.

Zincubus

Banned
I still don't buy in to this. Only very very few clubs have unlimited funds. So 150M € for a player still sounds insane, because the way to fund such a deal is to go into further debt or establish an unprecedented income for a club. IMO Pogba wasn't a huge bargain - it was a very expensive deal, not quite worth it (yet). We got Umtiti for 25M, when everyone else pays 40-50M for young unproven defenders these days, so if you are clever, you can still make good deals.

All that said ..... I've seen reports that we have around 200 million in the bank so 150 million for a player ( Coutinho) who will make such a massive difference to us seems good practice .
Oddly enough anther source yesterday suggested we will be making an offer of just 80 million for him which seems like a bonkers idea on the face of it .

Ritchie

We have to sign a top creative midfielder who will make a big difference and not some 30 year old or erratic Ozil or Di Maria type.

Coutinho is one of the few who fits the bill. Liverpool have screwed us and the player not letting him go and this won't be forgotten by Barcelona. January is no good because he misses CL and we can't do anything in the knockouts with the midfield we have.

FinBarcelonafan

the 150m in the summer was due to it being late in the window and us being desperate.. no chance we pay anymore than 100m imo

I agree and we can't even use him in CL, so it's kind of a waste, but we could still use him this season for Spanish league and CUP. Sucks he can't play in CL..

Ronaldinho10

I agree and we can't even use him in CL, so it's kind of a waste, but we could still use him this season for Spanish league and CUP. Sucks he can't play in CL..

Not so much of a waste. We're pushing to win the league anyway and not CL. and our midfield definitely needs improvement. I still think Coutinho is the right player for us but not worth 150m€.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Not so much of a waste. We're pushing to win the league anyway and not CL. and our midfield definitely needs improvement. I still think Coutinho is the right player for us but not worth 150m€.

For a club vying just for La Liga, would it really be a wise move on our part to throw 150 million on a md fielder!? I would say, go cheap by getting Leon Goretzka or Lucas Torreira in January. They would not be killing Alena's chances to make it into the first team, give us room to check if it would be absolutely necessary to splash cash in summer!

M

MessiCam

For a club vying just for La Liga, would it really be a wise move on our part to throw 150 million on a md fielder!? I would say, go cheap by getting Leon Goretzka or Lucas Torreira in January. They would not be killing Alena's chances to make it into the first team, give us room to check if it would be absolutely necessary to splash cash in summer!

I agree that it's unnecessary to chase Coutinho in the winter for that kind of money but it wouldn't kill Alena's chances. They can co-exist... Either are capable of playing a deeper role but Alena would be miles better at it. Against Murcia he played the number 6 role as he did during the preseason. It's nice role for him to play in a 4-3-3 system due to his composure and ability to win duels. He's a stunning passer too.

However, going for Goretzka in the winter as well as Coutinho in the summer will definitely interfere with Alena's chances. If I had to pick which of them to sign I'd go for Coutinho because he's more versatile in my opinion.

Last edited:

BarçaBarça

All that said ..... I've seen reports that we have around 200 million in the bank so 150 million for a player ( Coutinho) who will make such a massive difference to us seems good practice .
Oddly enough anther source yesterday suggested we will be making an offer of just 80 million for him which seems like a bonkers idea on the face of it .

200M in the bank is a very healthy economy, but spending 150M on Coutinho is still too much - we really should try to get him for max 100, and look elsewhere if we can't.
For 100M Bayern might even give up Thiago, who would be as good a signing.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I agree that it's unnecessary to chase Coutinho in the winter for that kind of money but it wouldn't kill Alena's chances. They can co-exist... Either are capable of playing a deeper role but Alena would be miles better at it. Against Murcia he played the number 6 role as he did during the preseason. It's nice role for him to play in a 4-3-3 system due to his composure and ability to win duels. He's a stunning passer too.

However, going for Goretzka in the winter as well as Coutinho in the summer will definitely interfere with Alena's chances. If I had to pick which of them to sign I'd go for Coutinho because he's more versatile in my opinion.

Going for another mid fielder in summer, after getting Goretzka should only happen if he spectacularly failed!

I think the primary goal in the summer would be to get an able RF because Messi is not going back

hardyboy

Buy him and Antoine and promote Alena. Imagine midfield trio of Coutinho Busquets and Alena and the front 3 of Messi, Dembele and Antoine. We will create havoc.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Going for another mid fielder in summer, after getting Goretzka should only happen if he spectacularly failed!

I think the primary goal in the summer would be to get an able RF because Messi is not going back

Dembele/Deulofeu are our right wings. We're light on the left wing though with only Denis capable there...

BigBarcaBoy

We have to sign a top creative midfielder who will make a big difference and not some 30 year old or erratic Ozil or Di Maria type.

Coutinho is one of the few who fits the bill. Liverpool have screwed us and the player not letting him go and this won't be forgotten by Barcelona. January is no good because he misses CL and we can't do anything in the knockouts with the midfield we have.
Grow up, how was coutinho screwed, barca made an offer which was rejectec, it happens in football. What won't be forgotten by Barcelona?

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

Buy him and Antoine and promote Alena. Imagine midfield trio of Coutinho Busquets and Alena and the front 3 of Messi, Dembele and Antoine. We will create havoc.

2 AM, 3 attackers that doesn't defend and 30 years old Busquets doesn't sound that great tbh, would want a CM there. And no, Alena isn't a CM yet

Home of Barca Fans