7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Undoubtedly, his time at the club is drawing to a close - no other player in memory comes to mind who struggled this long at Barcelona and eventually settled. Considering a large portion of his initial fee can likely be recuperated this summer, it has to happen

Last edited:

Kul_z

Expecting coutinho to score some important goal in cl so all the shitting would stop. The only way he could actually relieve the pressure of himself

Arizona Scott

Expecting him to be on the bench.
Bench yes if dembele is ready to go (which i hope). But PS will be one of the 1st two subs (we want to minimize dembele playing full matches and increaee his potential reinjury) and will get his chances. As long as his link up play is decent--which is largely has been this spring, and someone scores for barca, i dont care if it is him.

Jombi

Bench yes if dembele is ready to go (which i hope). But PS will be one of the 1st two subs (we want to minimize dembele playing full matches and increaee his potential reinjury) and will get his chances. As long as his link up play is decent--which is largely has been this spring, and someone scores for barca, i dont care if it is him.

He's been absolute garbage and the only reason he's even talked about as a possible sub is because of his crazy wage and transfer fee. He would never feature for us again for the remainder of the season if he had been a cheap transfer. Its quite shocking really how bad he has been coming with that price tag.

Barcilliant

Easily the biggest flop in Barca history. I wonder where it went wrong? He started well.

Did he lose motivation? Mentally not strong enough? Opposition figure him out?

Arizona Scott

He's been absolute garbage and the only reason he's even talked about as a possible sub is because of his crazy wage and transfer fee. He would never feature for us again for the remainder of the season if he had been a cheap transfer. Its quite shocking really how bad he has been coming with that price tag.

I know of you think this (absolute garbage) but he has been some better most of this spring than fall. Coutinho usually has many decent interchanges with Messi and Suarez when they play together in a match, and that have led to goals or clear chances. He still gives possession away more than he should, but it is less than the fall and with more positives. Now it is quite clear Dembele adds a whole another dimension vs Coutinho, and fans often focus on this particular contrast (as if Dembele isn't even more superior compared to Malcom, D. Suarez, Prince, Rafina, Munir or Alena when we have tried them up top this year). Until maybe 2 weeks ago everyone was saying Suarez is garbage too and we should drop him, if we reacted that whim who knows where we would be in all competitions but probably not as strong as place as we are. Comes with the territory of being an attacking player and when a lot of risks don't work out and you have a dry spell in goals. People (ill informed) are calling Salah garbage too--yeah he is on a goal drought but he is creating in lots of other ways and Liverpool would be fools to drop him just as we would have been fools to drop Suarez a month ago.

I know some of you are not fan of metrics but Coutinho is somewhere in the middle of the squad (e..g., whoscored, sofascore). He is nowhere near as good as Messi (another planet) or as good as Dembele, Suarez, Pique, Alba or Busi, but on a per minute basis he is ahead of the other attacking players who he might compete for PT with--e.g., Alena and Malcom, and splits even with Vidal.

Has he been worth his fee? Of course not. Based on his all around effectiveness should be the 1st guy off the bench if Messi, Dembele, & Suarez are available, or to start if one of them isn't, absolutely YES. At this point--middle of the season--I don't want players punished or rewarded because they are cheap or expensive. I just want them to be played based on their pitch contributions relative to alternatives in the squad. I would want any manager to look at it that way too.

Arizona Scott

Easily the biggest flop in Barca history. I wonder where it went wrong? He started well.

Did he lose motivation? Mentally not strong enough? Opposition figure him out?

Well he has played a lot more than Isco or Ozil, and we can see someone like James being unwanted by Real. Maybe days of midfielders who are not very effective without the ball at their feet are numbered. This is pretty good, and pretty rich, company. Maybe it is as much physical attributes as mental, probably some of both in most cases.

Arizona Scott

If Valverde stays as our next season manager :)cry:) then sell.

If the price is real good it just might be the right thing to sell. It is hard for me to imagine Coutinho being the best player he can be with Messi, no matter the manager. Both play relatively central and thrive at freedom and don't do a lot of defensive duties--but Messi is the best in the world and it is nuts not to give him that freedom. PH can still be a useful rotation (luxury) player but will be hard to justify the wage and the potential fee that could be used elsewhere.

FinBarcelonafan

If the price is real good it just might be the right thing to sell. It is hard for me to imagine Coutinho being the best player he can be with Messi, no matter the manager. Both play relatively central and thrive at freedom and don't do a lot of defensive duties--but Messi is the best in the world and it is nuts not to give him that freedom. PH can still be a useful rotation (luxury) player but will be hard to justify the wage and the potential fee that could be used elsewhere.

Exactly. Coutinho is a quality player BUT we already have Messi. We don't need him. He would be good signing for some other team looking for offense.

Havesaks

Quality post!

Home of Barca Fans