7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Kul_z

Endure, coutinho. One of the stupidest thing would be to sell him and then watch him shine in some less pressure situation. Im still convinced that he can be that player from last season for us. Just endure

Alik

Endure, coutinho. One of the stupidest thing would be to sell him and then watch him shine in some less pressure situation. Im still convinced that he can be that player from last season for us. Just endure

Thing is, our squad is kind of full without him already. We need to buy a striker, selling him would fund that.

serghei

He's got a month to prove he is a star and lead us, along with his teammates, to a CL win. If he does that, he should stay for sure.

For me, if he plays well, and scores a couple of goals at crucial times, he's already worth the investment in a way. Similar situation as with Bale. Bale wasn't consistent at all, most of the time he didn't even play that well, but in some key games he really rose to the occasion.

Hope Coutinho does the same. Nobody will care he went missing for some months in La Liga if he scores a golazo out of nowhere in a CL semifinal. Ability wise, he can win a game against any opponent at any time with a piece of skill.

Last edited:

serghei

What if we win a CL with him mostly staying on the bench?

I don't see him staying on the bench. He usually played in some of the biggest games this season. Also, our best game away from home in CL was vs Tottenham, and he played all game, and did it very well. It's still wide open for him.

In CL, all it takes is a moment of inspiration at the right time and you can turn a tie on its head.

We need to sell at the end of the season of this doesn't happen that's for sure.

Arizona Scott

I think it would be nice if more pressured wasn't put on him and just let the season play out. By accounts teammates like him. Decision making with him, Rakitic, Malcom, & Umtiti should be made after our last match of significance this year, hopefully the CL final. Hopefully until that point everyone can just be playing as part of the team and one shared mission (treble). I really believe Umtiti's contract situation affected his performance. We don't want distraction or pressures just beyond playing our best each big game.

I could easily see Man United, Chelsea (if they have the transfer ban delay), PSG, Tottenham (if they sell Eriksen for more) or even Liverpool come back into the fold for the price quoted. He would tear it up in Ligue 1 and the EPL teams remember the games he won for Liverpool and that he was a formidable opponent and their best player for a good stretch.

God Serena

The only reason he gets any minutes at all is due to his price tag. By all accounts he's one of the worst players we have on the team. Can't name a single quality he brings to the team that isn't at least doubled by someone else.

Arizona Scott

The only reason he gets any minutes at all is due to his price tag. By all accounts he's one of the worst players we have on the team. Can't name a single quality he brings to the team that isn't at least doubled by someone else.

You may see it that way, I don't, and the statistical metrics don't. On the subjective side his interplay with Messi and Suarez has been working quite often the last couple months. He still makes the wrong solo run and turns it over too much, but less than the complete fall funk. He is kind of in the middle for Barca players by metrics--and certainly the 4th best forward based on play. When Dembele is out he is the best option to play with Messi and Suarez. He is better than the others who have had spot duties this season in one of the forward posiitons--Malcom, Prince, Munir, Alena, Rafinha, Denis, etc. He has not come close to looking half his fee, very disappointing, but he still is one of our best 4 forwards (solidly behind 1-3, but a lot better than 5th-6th) and one of the 14 best overall players we have. Even full strength in a big game he is going to play because Dembele won't play 90 minutes.

Jombi

No surprise he is our 4th best forward because since Valverde doesn't know who Malcom is we only have 4 anyway.

Whats shocking is how bad Coutinho has been given the countless number of minutes he has been getting. Its not like he plays every other month. The guy has been playing pretty much all the time to get into continuity, match fitness and form. Yet, he hasnt scored in La Liga in 5 months and constantly looks lost and a burden on the team.

Home of Barca Fans