7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Messigician

That's what people said about De Bruyne until Pep turned him into a world class all-rounded central midfielder. It's all about the manager dude. The best managers elevate their players and fit them into a cohesive tactical setup, the other ones don't.

De Bruyne is a tank with an insane stamina and workrate coutinho is NOTHING like that.

khaled_a_d

That's what people said about De Bruyne until Pep turned him into a world class all-rounded central midfielder. It's all about the manager dude.

KDB was already very good in the position (and by far City best player) before Pep arrived.
And Klopp is as good as it get with a manager, and he still failed to make liverpool midfield competent with Coutinho.
Not sure what is the point here if unless you think Klopp is bad manager

Givenchy

we bought a CAM knowing we wouldn't be using a formation with a CAM. cant blame EV here, trying to shoehorn him at LW is probably pressure coming from the board who paid a club record.

this whole transfer is ridiculous. buying him in January - cuptied to the CL, the fee.. the positions in more need.. we have no forward planning and it really feels like Barto wanted another Brazilian since Neyney left. Coutinho is world class in his best position which again we won't likely be playing.. best we sell him to PSG for our money back and actually buy players we need. we have the same issue with Malcom aswell, WHY buy another RW when we already have Messi/Dembele, why did the board not look for a LW? we actually have no left fucking winger...

Gnidrologist

I disagree with the ozil comparison. Coutinho is more all action when he gets the ball. Can beat a man, good passer and a brilliant shot on him
I think the main problem with him is when he's without the ball. He's almost as passive off the ball as Messi. really seems a bit arrogant/non chalant. Or maybe he really is low stamina player. Dunno. He just doesn't present himself on the field on constant bases like we were used to with Xavi and Iniesta and even Neymar. Either he has low intelligence in off the ball movement or he's lazy or there's something between him and Verde. Wouldn't be surprised if he revigorated under fresh coach.

Jombi

we bought a CAM knowing we wouldn't be using a formation with a CAM. cant blame EV here, trying to shoehorn him at LW is probably pressure coming from the board who paid a club record.

this whole transfer is ridiculous. buying him in January - cuptied to the CL, the fee.. the positions in more need.. we have no forward planning and it really feels like Barto wanted another Brazilian since Neyney left. Coutinho is world class in his best position which again we won't likely be playing.. best we sell him to PSG for our money back and actually buy players we need. we have the same issue with Malcom aswell, WHY buy another RW when we already have Messi/Dembele, why did the board not look for a LW? we actually have no left fucking winger...

So every manager he's played under, he's mostly played left forward, and you're saying its pressure from the board that causes us to play him there?

Gnidrologist

It's the pressure of Valverde's complete lack of creativity to play him there. I can't imagine a top tier manager not finding a good place for Coutinho to be a great asset to the team. Even Klopp, who likes more straight forward football exploited him well.

Andresito

Staff member
I still believe he'll be able to adapt to an offensive CM role. Just needs a good manager who'll tell him what to and what not to do on the pitch.

Vilarrubi

It's the pressure of Valverde's complete lack of creativity to play him there. I can't imagine a top tier manager not finding a good place for Coutinho to be a great asset to the team. Even Klopp, who likes more straight forward football exploited him well.

+1 Exactly... Coutinho has been class everywhere he’s been.. imagine Coutinho with Pep as manager.. would be next level.
He looks lost on the pitch sometimes probably down to Valverde.

xXKonan

+1 Exactly... Coutinho has been class everywhere he’s been.. imagine Coutinho with Pep as manager.. would be next level.
He looks lost on the pitch sometimes probably down to Valverde.
As good as Pep is, there's a big chance even he could struggle to find a spot for Coutinho tbh.

Happened with Cesc and Pep. He tried to find him a spot on the team but just really couldn't as Cesc lacked a number of things to thrive in Pep's system said can be said in Tito and Tata as well. We are in a really weird spot with Coutinho right now.

Vilarrubi

As good as Pep is, there's a big chance even he could struggle to find a spot for Coutinho tbh.

Happened with Cesc and Pep. He tried to find him a spot on the team but just really couldn't as Cesc lacked a number of things to thrive in Pep's system said can be said in Tito and Tata as well. We are in a really weird spot with Coutinho right now.

Disagree mate.. Cesc came with Xavi and Iniesta in midfield.. so was then tried as false 9 etc.

Our midfield is a shambles at times.. and Coutinho is great for Brazil in midfield.. also the few games he played for Liverpool in CM he was class.. usually a deeper role though (Vs West Ham) is one I can remember.

PhilS

Like most primarily offensive players, Coutinho runs hot and cool. Although he has been a very fine players for years, in his case this means that in lots of games he is a strong contender for Man of the Match, but in others he is just OK. He has streaks. He started this season cool, got red hot, and is currently cool again. This does not mean he is a bad fit. Unlike in the case of Cesc, I could tell right away that Coutinho is an excellent fit for this team. I expect him to be one of the best Barca players for many years.

This variability is not Valverde's fault, this is the way football works for most good players. Some are extremely good almost every game, but this is a very small list, the contender for the best player in the world list.

If Coutinho can start about every third game for a while, getting into all the other games as a sub, that's fine. He will carry this club again this season, just be patient.

clemente

No point in questioning this player, clearly in this squad nobody comes even close to him in terms of quality, besides Messi ofc. Its all on the manager for being too inept at recognizing players strength and getting the best out of him, first season he plays as CM on the right, this season he is a winger? Stop wasting such talents.

Givenchy

No point in questioning this player, clearly in this squad nobody comes even close to him in terms of quality, besides Messi ofc. Its all on the manager for being too inept at recognizing players strength and getting the best out of him, first season he plays as CM on the right, this season he is a winger? Stop wasting such talents.

tbh I'd say Dembele is not only close to him in quality but in the same amatuer setup from EV, even being played at LW hes outperforming him..

EV does our players no favour atall but Coutinho needs to step it up. this is the same inconsistencies he showed at Liverpool

putogusiluz8

The Pale One
tbh I'd say Dembele is not only close to him in quality but in the same amatuer setup from EV, even being played at LW hes outperforming him..

EV does our players no favour atall but Coutinho needs to step it up. this is the same inconsistencies he showed at Liverpool
Dembele, for all the faults thrown at him and despite his young age has showed more resolve, and has proven to be a more consistent game changer than Coutinho. What good is it doing him to have more ability, if he plays like he's content with doing the bare minimum. It's not cutting it. He needs to unleash his potential. He needs to want it. Desire. It's something typical of brasilian players, they love to sleep on their laurels. Meanwhile you are competing for spot. I hope he remembers that everytime he goes out there.

Home of Barca Fans