7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

henias

That's how we played at the end of the last season, including the Girona trashing. A 4-3-3 4-4-2 hybrid.

It's not a 433 at all. It's a flat 442 that ends up looking like a 4231 with heavy possession, especially with Messi dropping off.

Same formation used against both legs of Chelsea. Only true 433 we played was against Juventus last season.

ATLBarcaFan

Valverde needs to figure this shit out, there's no reason we can't find a way to play Coutinho and Dembele at the same time. Both are too talented to be coming off the bench

soul24rage

for me, the only time he looked comfortable was when we played the 4231 of the 2nd half of last season. I still think that the 4231 is the best formation to get the best of this current squad.

Leo_98cro

Hi guys, Im new here but been reading this forum for few years now. This is a thread where i will write my first post because I've been thinkig for few days now what to do with Coutinho and where to play him and honestly didnt come up with any ideal solution. The best what I can think of is play Messi on F9, Dembele and Cou on wings with Vidal-Raki/Busi-Arthur midfield...

Lfc fan

So, Klopp thinks that Coutinho can't play as a Cm (since he is not running too much) in 433 and EV thinks the same.
I would add that he is not defending well either for a CM.

Where to play him now?

Probably as a CAM but then you need wide players who track back defensively to make up for Coutinho’s defensive issues

BBZ8800

Probably as a CAM but then you need wide players who track back defensively to make up for Coutinho’s defensive issues

We have Messi and Dembele who don't defend.
So, as said a lot of times: Dembele, Messi, Suarez, Coutinho can't play together.

At least 1 needs to be on the bench.

Gnidrologist

Dembele has helped defense fine in recent games. Not every winger needs to be like Pedro in this respect. Coutinho's defending is not great, but is servicable, IF he plays in midfield like he has done for Brazil. Obviously his tracking back sucks as a winger, because of the lack of pace. This notion that absolutely everybody needs to be workhorse defender apart from the main duties is yet another myth perpetuated by "we need Rakitic replacement" memebot.

xXKonan

When we first signed him one of my biggest fears is he would end up being our new Cesc and right now those fears aren't going away.

Valverde tried using him as an LCM but gave up pretty quickly and Arthur ended up kicking ass out the gate when Valverde decided to use him in the Spurs away game. It ended the idea of Coutinho being an Iniesta Replacement since then under Valverde.

Valverde seems content with only using Coutinho as an LW and that's it. Which comes to the next point in with Dembele's performances and how he's starting to be our second crucial player in the attack and with him being a real winger, I guess the idea of Coutinho being an automatic starter is starting to fade away.

Coutinho seems to be a good example of professionalism while Dembele is considered the rebel brat who keeps being late to training and shit. Yet on the field performances, there's a decent-big size gap between the two on who is more impactful and the winner in that is Dembele.

Even as Conservative as Valverde is I think he's probably starting to get frustrated with Coutinho a bit and feels he's not all that flexible as he had hoped compared to Dembele.

YodaMaster

The idea itself was stupid. We didn't really care about Coutinho before Neymar drama began in summer 2017. Once Neymar left, the board decided to bring Coutinho AND Dembélé to take the vacant spot ? I mean who does that ? It's actually the board's job to identify the right player and work on bringing him to the club. The way our board acted, it's as if they didn't know what to do so they just bought 2 of the most promising players available on the market in hope that one of them would make it here. It's okay to do that usually but not when the 2 guys you bring cost 150m each which are record breaking fees.

For those who say that Couti played LW at Liverpool so that should work at Barca too... Here's the thing: at Liverpool he played with the likes of Mané and Firmino (Sterling and Salah), fast and dynamic players who'll do runs all day long. Coutinho was the wide playmaker kind of winger in a fast attacking team. He'll never get these conditions at Barcelona. Our attacking playmaker is Messi. If you play with Messi in an attacking trio, it doesn't matter who you are, you'll be the one who'll have to make those runs so that Messi can create with the ball at his feet. Be it Coutinho, Dybala or even Maradona himself. Messi is the creator while Suarez is the slow 32yo finisher. That's why we need at least one fast winger in the 11.

If you play with let's say Malcom at number 9 (or I don't know... Gabriel Jesus for example) and Dembélé as RW, then actually Coutinho on the left flank might work. He'd have the creative tasks while the other 2 would make the runs to create space.

As it stands now Coutinho can only succeed at a midfield role. Which one exactly I don't know. What I know is that we need at least one real winger on the pitch. Coutinho shouldn't even fight with Dembélé for a spot in the starting 11. One is a playmaker while the other one is a winger.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans