7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Arizona Scott

I agree with this of course. I'm pushing for CM Coutinho since the beginning. But guys we can clearly see that it won't happen under Valverde. Today the last 30 mins we had Busquets Rakitic Messi Coutinho Suarez and Malcom on the field. 2 midfielders, 2 attackers + Messi and Coutinho. Well Rakitic and Busquets played as 2 DMs and Messi played as CAM in front of them. Coutinho was the left winger even with those players on the field.

Valverde won't spend time trying to make a CM or even a CAM out of Coutinho.....

Not this year for sure. But with only 3 class forwards and one on a bum ankle, Coutinho is needed to produce there.

By the time Valverde will be gone, there's a high possibility Coutinho will be around 28yo and in a bad form. At this point, for sure no one will pay crazy money for him.

I am far more bullish on Barca this year and next. We are playing top 3 football in the world. Yes it has much to do with one player, but Barca has him. Sometimes you don't need a great manager, just one to get out of the way and do proper subs, which JV seems to be growing into.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
He is above average right now, nothing more. I just really hope he will be able to turn it up when the big games will be coming up. Maybe as a super sub.
And hopefully the time right now will not fuel constant discussions about his departure or make him leave even. 1 or 2 important goals would help.

ATLBarcaFan

I'm shocked at how poorly he has played this year, he was brilliant at times last season. I'm not sure what his best position for us is, EV has got to figure this out

Riordon

I think we should really consider negotiating with Chelsea, they gonna lose Hazard and wants to replace him with Coutinho. We haven't paid those 160m yet, the better we offload him the less we will lose.

Or we can try to make it work by letting him stay and see if he can adapt. If he can't, then we lost 160m.

I rather now conclude that he was a miss and get 100+m and then move on.

Last edited:

PhilS

Regardless of where he is listed in the lineup, he tends to gravitate towards offensive midfielder. This does not mean he does not contribute, he just is not a real forward for this team.

While Dembele is out, Barca will play with two forwards. Coutinho will play almost constantly, because the alternatives are so much less talented. This might work, no reason to be overly pessimistic.

Laplacian

Man I honestly believed the "Perfect BARCA DNA player" Coutinho would be the star of the show with Dembele warming the bench for him. I didn't expect Dembele to make Coutinho look like Denis Suarez.

Was really hoping for a Coutinho - Messi - Dembele formation, but looks like Suarez although not back to his pre-2017 form, he's still has a lot to give. Can't really see Coutinho being a starter right now, hope he changes while Dembele is out.

Leo_Messi

A lineup like that (which I do agree with) is not possible because of Valverde and of course because of @BBZ.
Coutinho clearly and definitely was bought as an Iniesta replacement, not as a potential winger. He is not a winger and will never be a good one. Barca doesn't even need an actual, true winger on the left, because Alba does that simplistic traditional role well and he is at least much faster than Countinho is.

And you are right, he needs to play behind Messi, Suarez and Dembele.
But Valverde thinks otherwise, possibly because of his defending potentials, which comes first when the mediocre coach tries to be a tactician. He might be a sort of tactician, but a bad one of that.
So poor Coutinho looks to be fed up, dissatisfied, without any confidence, and has no clue what to play and how to do that, because his actual advantages were not really welcomed and he simply seems to be lost.
People may cry out here saying he MUST show his better part, but I think they don't realize that he is struggling because of the system.

Let's just play a simple thought-experiment:
IF the team plays a spectacular ATTACKING type of game, who are the midfielders?
At present there is Rakitic, who is the only one (besides Vidal) who has "some" attacking veins, but the other two, neither Bouskuets nor Arthur are the ATTACKING type.
Iniesta WAS an attacking minded midfielder and he is the one missed in the middle at present, because the other two are not typical attacking midfielders.
But Valverde prefers the ones running more and defending more, so in this moment we have the MOST defend-oriented midfield of Barca for many years!

That's why IF Coutinho could play in midfield, that would be the only solution for him, as well as for the team... If not, he has to go, because in this "pseudo-system" he has no other place...

It's all about Valverde's system, because he is not the man who "easily" gives up his preferred lineup, that probably he considers to be a kind of vision, but actually he simply depends and wins due to the individual talents in the team.
He has no vision whatsoever. Not even a bad one...
If he was with another team, Valverde would DEFINITELY play a more defense oriented system. That's what he likes and seems to be comfortable with.

He made a GREAT sacrifice this year, when the 4-4-2 that he prefers turned again to a 4-3-3 and probably it just happened because of the pressure from the elderly Barca supporters and making room for Dembele, so the spectators did NOT want to see a defending Barca, after being a spectacularly attacking team for decades.

That much Valverde sacrificed from his mediocre mind, but I guess he still didn't realize that without an Iniesta supplement, a creative, extremely skilled attacking midfielder, this team will be a rather style-less formation, still being able to keep the ball, have good possession statistics, but there needs to be SOMEONE in the midfield who is capable and talented enough to feed the 3 forwards, well, at least we play with 3 forwards by now...

Well written reply echoing many of my thoughts and posts in the past. Hard to disagree at all. I for once do not see any other solution for him and the team.

Ursegor

World Champion
Coutinho = Iniesta replacement shows a lack of basic football understanding tbh. He was nicknamed Shootinho by Premier League opposition fans for a reason, I don't remember Iniesta taking the ball 5 times per game to go on the same inside cut prime Robben curler goal attempt. Do you? He is Özil with shooting instead of assisting ability, that would be the closest description for him. Keep blaming the coach though for a role that Coutinho has never performed in his life.

Saladin

WTF?!! WHAT THE FUCK, PHIL?! Giving away the ball trying to pull off some brazilian beach-volley shit in the middle of the field? Speechless. Absolute fucking idiot, reminds me of the backheel shit Balotelli once pulled in a pre-season game when he played for City.

Home of Barca Fans