7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
Amazing unreal player.

Have always said it and always will.

Those that hate on this guy are always fighting a losing battle.

I just can't lose.

That just means you're willingly bordering on delusional, it's cringe worthy.

Its absolutely tragic that we are possibly gonna lose Coutinho whilst retaining the completely inaffective Rakitic !!

I don't think we're losing coutinho, not even close imo :lol:

Obviously he's done well against shitty opposition and its given him some confidence that he can hopefully take into more games.
His issue has always been that he's a streaky player (inconsistent), he was like that at Liverpool bar a season? The issues with him have been discussed in depth so we wont go into that, but he can have a major impact in any success we may achieve during the season.

TLDR: there are still tactical issues but unless he slumps for a prolonged period of time he wont be going anywhere.

Pepsbarca

I agree, but an experiment that cost us 300 millions is ridiculous
The problem is different, we have Suarez and Messi and we spent 300 mio (!!) for Dembele and Coutinho: that means that the coach have bought them with a clear formation in mind, how to field the players, how to make them play togheter, a well-defined team idea. How is possible to spent 300 millions and they never play together ? a 150Mio player always on the bench.....
I would really like to know what was the ideal 11s that the coach had in mind when he wanted Coutinho and Dembele.

The coach didn't buy them. The President did as a way to stave off being voted out after losing Neymar. Can't forget that point.

Pepsbarca

I think so too.
Panic buy.
They were spectacular purchases, but without brain.
Tragic

I think with a less "risk averse" manager they could both play at the same time and it won't be a problem. I'm not sure that Coutinho would play in midfield against the best teams but in the majority of league matches he would be fine. A midfield 3 of Coutinho and Arthur in front of Busquets. Coutinho on the left to fill the space when Dembele stretches play and Arthur on the right where he can play off from Messi would control 95% of the matches that we play.

MagIX

I think with a less "risk averse" manager they could both play at the same time and it won't be a problem. I'm not sure that Coutinho would play in midfield against the best teams but in the majority of league matches he would be fine. A midfield 3 of Coutinho and Arthur in front of Busquets. Coutinho on the left to fill the space when Dembele stretches play and Arthur on the right where he can play off from Messi would control 95% of the matches that we play.

We did not spend 300 millions for winning the liga and copa (we can win both without spending 300 millions), but for winning the CL: to win against the best teams, to win these 5% of matches.

Pepsbarca

We did not spend 300 millions for winning the liga and copa (we can win both without spending 300 millions), but for winning the CL: to win against the best teams, to win these 5% of matches.

I hate to break it to you but the 300m that was spent was so the President of the club would get re-elected after losing Neymar. That was the only thing on his mind at the time.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I hate to break it to you but the 300m that was spent was so the President of the club would get re-elected after losing Neymar. That was the only thing on his mind at the time.

I've been saying the same, Point still stands though. 300m worth of players shouldn't just be enough to win La Liga regardless of reasons they were purchased.

Pepsbarca

I've been saying the same, Point still stands though. 300m worth of players shouldn't just be enough to win La Liga regardless of reasons they were purchased.

Ok. To get back to your point about the 5% of games needed to win CL. The 300m was spent on the wrong players if the goal was to win the Champions League.

A lot of people think that Coutinho was brought in to replace Iniesta. Coutinho is at his best when he's playing in the front 3. So, the problem for any manager will now have is how to fit Dembele, Coutinho, Suarez, and Messi into a front 3, assuming that they are expected to start both Dembele and Coutinho. Tactically, Coutinho isn't good enough to play as a center midfielder against the best teams so the options are limited.

Respekt_III

Anti-everything
I Know, i feel the same way although i still feel he could develop his game and give a good 60minutes in the CM position with the right coaching/system and enough game time there.

MagIX

Pepsbarca: "I hate to break it to you but the 300m that was spent was so the President of the club would get re-elected after losing Neymar. That was the only thing on his mind at the time"

As already written,i agree with you, i think the same.
The point still remains: tragic. The coach has to choose the players, not the president.

Ok. To get back to your point about the 5% of games needed to win CL. The 300m was spent on the wrong players if the goal was to win the Champions League.

A lot of people think that Coutinho was brought in to replace Iniesta. Coutinho is at his best when he's playing in the front 3. So, the problem for any manager will now have is how to fit Dembele, Coutinho, Suarez, and Messi into a front 3, assuming that they are expected to start both Dembele and Coutinho. Tactically, Coutinho isn't good enough to play as a center midfielder against the best teams so the options are limited.

Exactly, see my post above: the coach has to choose the players, not the president.
As you said the problem of any maneger is how to fit Dembele, Coutinho Suarez and Messi........ the problem exist because the president bought the players and not the coach.
No coach would think to play vs the best teams with those 4 players together.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans