7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

xXKonan

He's a lost man out at LW and not very fast and often loses the ball quite a bit.

Can't see him play anywhere else but as an LCM for us. Because other than that I can't see him excel elsewhere.

Messigician

He's a lost man out at LW and not very fast and often loses the ball quite a bit.

Can't see him play anywhere else but as an LCM for us. Because other than that I can't see him excel elsewhere.

Arthur would have to be dropped then

Last edited:

Messigician

I said it before and I'll say it again, we have a good player who doesn't suit our system.

Too slow for a winger, not disciplined enough for CM the only place he excels at is CAM and we all know what happened with our last CAM Fabregas. I hope Coutinho doesn't end up like that but I'm worried

xXKonan

I thought this may sound dumb at first as time went on it really feels like Coutinho is a higher class version of Rafinha at LW.

Coutinho is faster than Rafinha (which isn't saying much) and has more talent and overall ability no less, but without the pace the likes of Neymar and Dembele have, it just feels like he's a total passenger compared to the rest of the forward line.

Messi and Suarez are slow as fuck but they at least have other skills they can utilize but with Coutinho, he's just out of place up there.

El Gato

Villarato!
Lols Rafinha.. a Premiership sensation is being relegated to Rafinha comparisons :p

[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION] but Isco fits Barca so well! Even has a dog named Leo!
Jokes aside, he’d probably be more keen to play deep than Cou is and would do better there. Would solve the Iniesta successor issue. City rumours won’t go away if Silva doesn’t get a grip.

xXKonan

Lols Rafinha.. a Premiership sensation is being relegated to Rafinha comparisons :p
[MENTION=19457]KingLeo10[/MENTION] but Isco fits Barca so well! Even has a dog named Leo!
Sounds a bit harsh on my part :lol:

I think the main reason I made the comparison is the fact both just lacks the pace to be more effective on the wings. Valverde stuck him on the wings because at the time he thought Cou would not only be used as an FW but also act as a 4th CM for Control and hold the ball better than Dembele.

But It initially worked as we brought Arthur into the fold. But as time went on Coutinho was handicapped and never made the impact we had hoped and never really formed a good enough connection Alba and he also lost the ball a lot as well and seemed to tire out after 60 minutes.

Dembele is rough around the edges but he has been much more impactful overall this season out of the two on the wings. Dembele's offers so much more with his pace and skill set on the wings. With Coutinho, he just doesn't have the stuff we need out of him as a LW for him to be effective.

It sucks because I like him a lot and I want him to succeed here but things right now aren't looking great unless he's moved down as an LCM again.

Givenchy

why did the board blow 140mil on a player (fucking club record fee) that our manager has no intention of playing to his strengths. hes not a terrible winger by any means BUT when you have an ageing Messi and Suarez as the other 2 forwards its never going to work. Dembele is a MUST and hes probably our most important player after Messi this season..

I'm not gonna slate EV for this problem, how the hell do you get Raki, Coutinho, Messi, Dembele, Suarez, Busi and Arthur into one formation? im not saying Raki should be starting as much as he does but hes EVs golden boy so.. where do the others fit? it gets even more puzzling when you throw Malcom in there who also needs game time

best thing for all parties although unrealistic imo is sell him to PSG, Neyney will lobby for him, leaving Frankie to us. i say that with huge regret though, i really like the guy

Messigician

He doesn't really have the workrate and passing abikity of Iniesta though.

Tbh i tried playing as Barca in football manager and it was nearly impossible to work Dembele and Coutinho together whole keeping a balanced team. One of them has to be benched for the other to play and imo only one will make it here.

El Gato

Villarato!
I'm not gonna slate EV for this problem, how the hell do you get Raki, Coutinho, Messi, Dembele, Suarez, Busi and Arthur into one formation? im not saying Raki should be starting as much as he does but hes EVs golden boy so.. where do the others fit? it gets even more puzzling when you throw Malcom in there who also needs game time

It’s so easy to do tho. Just do off with old dead weight in the midfield. Play Vidal as DM for a season if need be and bring another DM to flex into a double pivot if needed to let Coutinho roam into the middle. Messi and Dembele have to stay wide, just get somebody to teach Semedo how to provide speed on the right and 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 sorted. Literally only 2 or 3 key transfers need to be made with another 2 after kicking Pique and Suárez as soon as opportunity arises. No other way to do this.

Givenchy

It’s so easy to do tho. Just do off with old dead weight in the midfield. Play Vidal as DM for a season if need be and bring another DM to flex into a double pivot if needed to let Coutinho roam into the middle. Messi and Dembele have to stay wide, just get somebody to teach Semedo how to provide speed on the right and 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 sorted. Literally only 2 or 3 key transfers need to be made with another 2 after kicking Pique and Suárez as soon as opportunity arises. No other way to do this.

Messi is actually the elephant in the room

-----------Busi-Vidal
Dembele-Coutinho-????
------------Suarez

if you replace the ???? with a pacey winger on the left, that lineup has balance and everything you need with everyone playing in their best position but you cant bench or get rid of the GOAT.. so were in some kind of limbo right now. Messi cant play on the wing in that type of formation as he and Coutinho will end up on top of eachother.. i also don't think he has the stamina anymore to play there either.

if you replace Suarez in that formation with Icardi for example (or a pure #9 with some height), Busi for Frankie DJ it gets even better for the future

also note to cules before you jump on me; im not saying we should sell or bench Messi but i do wonder sometimes what we'd lineup like in a post-Messi world

Last edited:

jamrock

-----busquets---+one

----dembele----Messi---coutinho

------------saurez

Solves all the problems,
Keeps Messi in the middle from the start so he doesn't unbalance the system.

Dembele starts on his best wing

Coutinho plays as an attacking left midfielder, Not a midfielder not an attacker, but that half space in between where he flourishies.

Biggest issue would be who plays beside busquets, and dembele & coutinho learning to drop back effectively.

Home of Barca Fans