7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

M

MessiCam

Why would we sign him as a winger? His best position is in the midfield and that's where he flourishes. His versatility and ability to play on both wings as he does for Brazil playing on the right is also a huge plus. Coutinho is the best we can do in every sense for the upgrading of the midfield really. Whether it's necessary to pay 150m for him or better to splash 50m on Arthur/Torreira/Goretzka on a free is a different question though.

I see it differently. He plays his best ball when wider and cutting in.

But what if we are signing Coutinho to play both as a midfielder and winger depending on the opponents and system we'll play. Valverde has shown tactical flexibility and I think he'd try out different things with Cou and other new players he'll get. Based on that it could also influence our transfer targets in the near future. If he'd play more as a midfielder then we could look for another starting quality winger (if needed), if he'd play primarily as LW in 4-2-3-1 then we can look for another midfielder (again if needed). And last but not least I think he could also fill in as AMC when Messi will be rested/unavailable whether that's in 4-2-3-1, 4-3-1-2 or another formation. Not many players can bring this kind of versatility, at least not of his quality.

That's one of the reasons why I'd like him here but I'm still not crazy about paying 150M to get him.

Valverde and tactical flexibility in the same sentence? I must be dreaming. But I digress... Coutinho would offer flexibility but we're in dire need of a dedicated attacking CM as well as a deep lying playmaker. Coutinho is neither...

Anyway, the 4-3-1-2 should be dropped due to it's lack of width and the 4-2-3-1 shouldn't even be considered (Coutinho/Griezmann, Messi, Dembele and Suarez would be a nightmare defensively). In fact any system that employs only 2 central midfielders is a no go but it appears that Valverde is harbouring your very 4-2-3-1 ideas. All I'm going to say is good luck with that and be prepared for Barcelona losing it's identity even more.

ronniecro

Why would we sign him as a winger? His best position is in the midfield and that's where he flourishes. His versatility and ability to play on both wings as he does for Brazil playing on the right is also a huge plus. Coutinho is the best we can do in every sense for the upgrading of the midfield really. Whether it's necessary to pay 150m for him or better to splash 50m on Arthur/Torreira/Goretzka on a free is a different question though.

we play midfielder as our right back,i wouldn't be surprised at all if we plan to sign him as a winger

cro-man

the better he plays the smaller is the chance of getting him and the bigger the obsession to get him. We should move on and concentrate on the future and rebuilt our team with young blood and not hold on on impossible tasks...

Sorin

What? We can certainly get him. He is dead set on leaving Liverpool. You just have to watch how he celebrates after almost everytime he scores. The question is, should we spunk 130-150 millions on him? If we bid that sum, he is our player no doubt. In the summer most likely. It's not the same situation as Verratti at all.

cro-man

What? We can certainly get him. He is dead set on leaving Liverpool. You just have to watch how he celebrates after almost everytime he scores. The question is, should we spunk 130-150 millions on him? If we bid that sum, he is our player no doubt. In the summer most likely. It's not the same situation as Verratti at all.

He can be dead set as he wants to but in the end its up to liverpool. Guess what he is their best player and liverpool dont need to and dont want to sell. Times where we could buy every player are over because especially those english clubs dont need to sell and the more money they have the more ambition they will get.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He can be dead set as he wants to but in the end its up to liverpool. Guess what he is their best player and liverpool dont need to and dont want to sell. Times where we could buy every player are over because especially those english clubs dont need to sell and the more money they have the more ambition they will get.

Liverpool will sell him. No team keeps a player that want to leave.

Liverpool not at the level of City, Chelsea and Man Utd right now and even Man Utd sold Cristiano when they were at the highest of their powers.

It's not PSG.

Zincubus

Banned
Some of the UK press reporting that he's told them he wants to join Barca in the summer . Could be all paper talk again but oddly enough he didn't train yesterday and he's apparently been 'dropped' for today's match even after 5 consecutive man of the match performances ..I wonder ...

We need him in January though ..

Last edited:

Galning

I don't understand why they didn't sell him during the summer. Sure, they got a couple of good games out of him but at what price? Transfer soap is just going to be delayed, if he wants to go he will go. Simple as.

JamDav1982

I don't understand why they didn't sell him during the summer. Sure, they got a couple of good games out of him but at what price? Transfer soap is just going to be delayed, if he wants to go he will go. Simple as.

Principle more than anything and not to be seen as a selling club after letting Suarez and Sterling force their way out in recent years.

He leaves this summer they have another great season from him and he leaves on their terms.

Still their best player even though Salah is scoring so many goals.

mia7007

I don’t see we need him in January (unless to have harmony with the team for next season)
He will not play in CL, and it will not be a good practice to play in Liga with a team different than CL

Home of Barca Fans