7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Coutinho is an attacking midfielder and thank god for that. We need someone able to create something forward. We now just need a CM to complement him.

DonAK

I just read Diego Torres' El Pais article and there are no direct Klopp quotes in them. In fact it's so absurd since Diego Torres claims Klopp placed him behind Mane, Salah and Firmino in the pecking order and discarded him as a mere substitute in the end because Coutinho couldn't fit in properly in any of his systems. Apparently Klopp was convinced Coutinho could not start for Liverpool anymore since Salah, Mane and Firmino were better than him for the three attacking positions and because he realized Coutinho could never play for him as a midfielder, but the funny thing is that Coutinho still started for Liverpool, as an attacking midfielder, and it worked really well for them too.

These Klopp comments are from an anonymous source within Liverpool apparently.

In other words: Complete bullshit

I don't even know what Diego Torres thought when writing that piece. It doesn't even make any sense.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Diego Torres reputation has gone down hill for awhile now.

He's using his reputation to write articles like this to fool people into thinking they're legit. It's like his Neymar articles, just comes off as nothing but rambling to fuel the anti Neymar narrative.

Raketa10

It’s disgusting what journalism has become. Idiots inventing stories and than people sharing those on internet it can’t get more pathetic than this.

Last edited:

xXKonan

Funny thing is I see quite a bit of people I follow on twitter lapping up this article despite what DonAK said above as there's no direct quotes from Klopp himself.

Just too many guys on Barca twitter thinking Coutinho cannot work as a Midfielder for Barca and that we should have spent the money bringing Thiago back. we had a CM in the vein of someone like Modric in this day in age and pair him up with Coutinho and Busi, Coutinho will definitely work as an CAM in this system.

M

MessiCam

I don’t care about those tweets or that article but I’ve watched Coutinho play for a long time and he is NOT a CM. He is a forward.

behindbrowneyes

As long as you play him in an inverted AM role he'll work. I'd even say Coutinho is the "as-close-it-can-get"-successor of Iniesta. His ball control is class, he has vision, can create chances and is good at dribbling. Plus he brings distance screamers to the table. His dribbling is not as good as Don Andres', but good enough for Barcelona if he reduces the number of ball losses.

Icarium

Lifestealer
He can play as an advanced midfielder role if Busi and Rakitic can provide balance in midfield. Him as an attacker will cripple our midfield again. There will no player capable of connecting defense and attack. No creative talent in midfield. We are struggling so much because of our midfield. With rumoured interest in Griezman I just don't see why we need to put Coutinho in attack. He needs to play as a midfielder and Rakitic has to step up until we sign a player like Thiago.

DonAK

I don’t care about those tweets or that article but I’ve watched Coutinho play for a long time and he is NOT a CM. He is a forward.

He's an attacking midfielder. Like Ozil or James Rodriguez. Unless you want to call them for forwards too. We don't need two CMs trying to orchestrate the game from the midfield. We need someone who can create something from an advanced midfield position and that is Coutinho. Just need someone to complement him or find a different midfield dynamic.

Last edited:

serghei

He can do both. But you need a fluid system that has his position covered by a teammate when he goes up to join the attack.

Home of Barca Fans