7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

JamDav1982

He is the answer. Develop him and you have a player like Isco in a short period of time. There is no alternative. We can't pay 500m + for Dembele, Coutinho, Griezmann and someone like Thiago or Eriksen. If Griezmann is signed, no high profile midfielder will be signed because there's no money for that.

Time will tell if he is 'everything we need' and he wont come this summer anyway it seems.

I think it is a big risk to think he will have as big an impact as you seem to think he will and that is after years of development anyway.

serghei

Time will tell if he is 'everything we need' and he wont come this summer anyway it seems.

I think it is a big risk to think he will have as big an impact as you seem to think he will and that is after years of development anyway.

Sure, time will tell.

We have to take risks. It depends on the manager and his staff just how much time it takes. Some players need 1-2 seasons max to become great while playing well in the process as well. But you have to have a good manager. Someone like Valverde is likely to do shit in this area, but let's hope he'll turn around.

Someone like Klopp improved Salah in 1 season to a great degree. From good to world class in 8 months.

M

MessiCam

Exactly so there has been no move to bring in more and more big physical players since last summer as I said.

You pointed to last summer.
As I’ve said, Fernandez and Segura don’t see eye to eye on the type of players that Barça should recruit. Fernandez is in the mold of Cruyff...

The rumours are rife that Segura wants more physical players. Since his Liverpool days he has valued speed, size and strength...

JamDav1982

Sure, time will tell.

We have to take risks. It depends on the manager and his staff just how much time it takes. Some players need 1-2 seasons max to become great while playing well in the process as well. But you have to have a good manager. Someone like Valverde is likely to do shit in this area.

That is the point it is a risk and not a sure thing and dont agree that what Barca need to solve midfield is a player to come in and take 2 years to develop.

If that is what the plan is then Barca need more than just him and need a player ready now.

It is not all down to the manager. It is also down to the player being good enough.

JamDav1982

As I’ve said, Fernandez and Segura don’t see eye to eye on the type of players that Barça should recruit. Fernandez is in the mold of Cruyff...

The rumours are rife that Segura wants more physical players. Since his Liverpool days he has valued speed, size and strength...

Thats the point. Nothing in Barcelona transfers since Segura came in suggest they are going down the route of too many physical players.#

It is all based on assumption and random quotes but not what seems to be happening in practise.

Barca like every team will need fast, physical players. Folk just blow a few quotes miles out of proportion.

serghei

That is the point it is a risk and not a sure thing and dont agree that what Barca need to solve midfield is a player to come in and take 2 years to develop.

If that is what the plan is then Barca need more than just him and need a player ready now.

It is not all down to the manager. It is also down to the player being good enough.

The player is good enough. It's primarily down to the manager to develop good players by giving them minutes and trust. Arthur is probably the best young player in a huge market of potential world class players.

He'll take 2 years to develop into a top class midfielder in the mold of a Xavi, but it will improve our creativity from CM right away due to being a better passer than what we have now in Rakitic, Paulinho, Gomes. Even now he's a better creator than Rakitic, who's passes are 90% of the time neutral, providing no penetration or verticality.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

The player is good enough. It's primarily down to the manager to develop good players by giving them minutes and trust. Arthur is probably the best young player in a huge market of potential world class players.

You dont know if he is good enough or not or what he can develop to be. There is always a risk in particular with these type signings.

Plenty players come out of Brazil as next big thing and dont quite cut it.

The ability of the players rather than some football manager idea of minutes will be the biggest factor in them succeeding.

The answer to Barcas midfield problems is not a player to develop over the next few years.

serghei

You dont know if he is good enough or not or what he can develop to be. There is always a risk in particular with these type signings.

Plenty players come out of Brazil as next big thing and dont quite cut it.

The ability of the players rather than some football manager idea of minutes will be the biggest factor in them succeeding.

The answer to Barcas midfield problems is not a player to develop over the next few years.

You keep saying there's a risk. Who said it isn't. Everything is a risk. Dembele was a risk too. And it is still a risk. I look at player qualities. Arthur has the qualities we need to make our midfield work again. This is what's important. The rest is down to our management team to fit him in and develop him, making good use of his qualities. He also has to work hard to adapt, and I have no reason to think he won't. Looks like a Barca player and seems serious and dedicated, works hard and doesn't have a primadonna attitude.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

You keep saying there's a risk. Who said it isn't. Everything is a risk. Dembele was a risk too. And it is still a risk. I look at player qualities. Arthur has the qualities we need to make our midfield work again. This is what's important. The rest is down to our management team to fit him in and develop him, making good use of his qualities. He also has to work hard to adapt, and I have no reason to think he won't. Looks like a Barca player and seems serious and dedicated, works hard and doesn't have a primadonna attitude.

No I agree Barca should make these kind of signings if see a player they like and agree that player needs time to develop and settle to see if they are the answer.

What I dont agree is that this type of signing of a young player from Brazil is 'all Barca need' in the midfield and back to being elite in that area.

M

MessiCam

Thats the point. Nothing in Barcelona transfers since Segura came in suggest they are going down the route of too many physical players.#

It is all based on assumption and random quotes but not what seems to be happening in practise.

Barca like every team will need fast, physical players. Folk just blow a few quotes miles out of proportion.
He was only appointed ahead of Fernandez last summer and Fernandez is still around to hinder him. Once Fernandez is out of the way (June) you will see.

The rumours were that Jordi Cruyff would replace Fernandez but that has been rubbished. Segura will take over as the technical head and then it’s downhill from there. The only sane person is being booted out!

If I’m not mistaken Fernandez delivered Kroos and Pjanic on a plate too... Lucho wanted more direct players.

JamDav1982

He was only appointed ahead of Fernandez last summer and Fernandez is still around to hinder him. Once Fernandez is out of the way (June) you will see.

The rumours were that Jordi Cruyff would replace Fernandez but that has been rubbished. Segura will take over as the technical head and then it’s downhill from there. The only sane person is being booted out!

If I’m not mistaken Fernandez delivered Kroos and Pjanic on a plate too... Lucho wanted more direct players.

You think Fernandez was at Barca when Kroos signed for Real? He wasnt.

It is guess work to think what kind of players will be brought in and previously said Segura since last summer has been in charge and there has not been that type of players signed.

serghei

No I agree Barca should make these kind of signings if see a player they like and agree that player needs time to develop and settle to see if they are the answer.

What I dont agree is that this type of signing of a young player from Brazil is 'all Barca need' in the midfield and back to being elite in that area.

It's all we need in the limits of what we can realistically get from what's there on the market (in our price range). Sure I'd like us to sign a certified world class CM or close, but it's not possible. After we signded Dembele, Coutinho, and we're planning to sign Griezmann, there's no 100+ m. to sign a world class CM, that in the very unlikely scenario that he would be available somehow.

JamDav1982

It's all we need in the limits of what we can realistically get from what's there on the market (in our price range). Sure I'd like us to sign a certified world class CM or close, but it's not possible. After we signded Dembele, Coutinho, and we're planning to sign Griezmann, there's no 100+ m. to sign a world class CM, that in the very unlikely scenario that he would be available somehow.

Dont think it is as definite as 40m is all Barca can afford and it is an area that needs improved more than a possible future starter in Artur.

Chances are Barca have the same midfield this season and probably season after at this rate.

Joan

Who are the physical players Segura signed? Paulinho? I think he should've done a better job. Bringing in Fabian Ruiz would be a great start.

Home of Barca Fans