7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Why not play him as a CAM in 4-3-3
Attack like Real Madrid used to do play when Benitez was in charge, he can have the Rodriguez role, and yes I'm well aware it didn't work out for Benitez but we could give it a shot.

ASordidGod

Well we won't know for sure he can't play in a mid 3 unless we try it. Which Valverde is obviously unwilling to do. So if that IS the long term plan, well it's (at this stage) an incredibly distant one. He's looked decent enough so far, some good things some bad things; I'd like to see him on the ball more centrally, not just on the left looking to cut in. Without Iniesta we need someone dictating tempo; don't see why it can't be Coutinho.

M

MessiCam

What's wrong with Messi at RW?

Firstly, there is no CAM in a 4-3-3. It's 2 wingers and a centre forward or you go strikerless with a 4-3-3 False 9 but Coutinho is not a volume scorer so it's a no-no.

Regarding Messi as RW... Hmmm, you clearly haven't watched Barcelona in 2015/16 & 2016/17 then.

True, he is a sight to behold when playing there but it causes way more problems than it solves.

Calidad

Still see no reason why he can’t play as one of the three in midfield. He’d provide much needed pace and creativity from the centre of the park. If the likes of De Bruyne (who often plays alongside Silva and only one defensively minded CM in a three) can make it work in midfield, I don’t see why Coutinho can’t. Coutinho has already played in a three at Liverpool anyway.

Two of Roberto/Arthur/Rakitic/Busquets can be the more robust CM’s who can support him. I think the midfield would be too slow, stale and lacking in creativity otherwise once Iniesta leaves or declines.

The only problem this would cause is who plays LWF. In the current setup it’d probably have to be Suarez. Long term, I’m not sure.

ASordidGod

What's wrong with Messi at RW?

Doesn't track back at all. Cue constant 2 v 1 against Roberto. Cue me in tears and our season over in mid March. :lol: Going forward it may work at home to defensive teams with zero ambition, but as an overall strategy it's a proven failure I'm afraid. Which is the main reason for our ponderous 442. Personally I'd play Messi false nine and drop Suarez, but I know that's probably an unpopular opinion.

ASordidGod

Still see no reason why he can’t play as one of the three in midfield. He’d provide much needed pace and creativity from the centre of the park. If the likes of De Bruyne (who often plays alongside Silva and only one defensively minded CM in a three) can make it work in midfield, I don’t see why Coutinho can’t. Coutinho has already played in a three at Liverpool anyway.

Two of Roberto/Arthur/Rakitic/Busquets can be the more robust CM’s who can support him. I think the midfield would be too slow, stale and lacking in creativity otherwise once Iniesta leaves or declines.

The only problem this would cause is who plays LWF. In the current setup it’d probably have to be Suarez. Long term, I’m not sure.

Because City defend by keeping the ball. Also their full backs step into CM to avoid getting over run.

xXKonan

[tw]976144792076742656[/tw]

Globo says Tite is considering dropping Renato Augusto and replacing him with Coutinho and Fernandinho in the Midfield.

clemente

He is so fucking good, I think people don't understand yet what kind of a beast we bought this summer.

Last edited:

xXKonan

He was slow to get going in the first half but in the second half he came alive and did very well in the Midfield.

Home of Barca Fans