7 - Philippe Coutinho - V1

Barcilliant

Happy with his qualitites, but not happy with his style. He has barca DNA but he needs tp synchronize with the way we play. Everytime he has the ball he looks at the goal and does a very risky one two with the nearest player regardless of how sound the attempt is. he did that today a lot and failed a lot. Sometimes it is best to pass the ball around and make the opponenet run for the ball to drain him physically and psychologically. He has everything to help us maintain possession. Not evey ball he touches has to be a one two attempt of a shot attempt. I think he will come around and these things will come eventually.
I'd rather he be more direct. We have enough tippy tappy shit going on. Coutinho is a great shooter and if the chance is there why not take it.

That Chelsea display is what happens when we just keep passing the ball and no one even tries to shoot.

ASordidGod

Good game, and his long range shooting is a real asset. Even so I felt he shot too much today, and annoyed his team mates on a number of occasions. I'd like to see him looking for ball inside the left back more, like Messi but from the other side.

Senador Romario

Happy with his qualitites, but not happy with his style. He has barca DNA but he needs tp synchronize with the way we play. Everytime he has the ball he looks at the goal and does a very risky one two with the nearest player regardless of how sound the attempt is. he did that today a lot and failed a lot. Sometimes it is best to pass the ball around and make the opponenet run for the ball to drain him physically and psychologically. He has everything to help us maintain possession. Not evey ball he touches has to be a one two attempt of a shot attempt. I think he will come around and these things will come eventually.

The current Man City under Guardiola is very similar to Barça in terms of heavy possession, but they are more direct and tend to shot more often, as an EPL team. That's is the future imo, because they can do that without Messi.

Jombi

Good game, and his long range shooting is a real asset. Even so I felt he shot too much today, and annoyed his team mates on a number of occasions. I'd like to see him looking for ball inside the left back more, like Messi but from the other side.

He is a Cesc type of player and he needs to be attacking if he is going to succeed here. Cant see him thriving as a CM for us. He is an attacking player that produces goals and assists if he can thrive and we need defensive structure. His position is in front of three other midfielders, not as a CM.

Phil is an awesome CM people on here just want to see him fail, they don't even give him a season to adapt. He's the future of Barcelona and an awesome player. As I said give him time and he will show his quality.

Calidad

I’d like to see him play a bit deeper.

Can see no reason why he can’t eventually replace Iniesta in a midfield three, alongside 2 more robust CM’s (Busquets, Arthur, Roberto, Rakitic)

Probably means long term, the side will need a new LWF though.

Danic

I’d like to see him play a bit deeper.

Can see no reason why he can’t eventually replace Iniesta in a midfield three, alongside 2 more robust CM’s (Busquets, Arthur, Roberto, Rakitic)

Probably means long term, the side will need a new LWF though.

Exactly my thought. Imo he could direct the game better when playing more in the centre. I would at least give it a try.
For me he is a similar player to iniesta who also fit in both positions but is better as a CM.

M

MessiCam

Anybody that has ever watched Coutinho will admit that he is not Barça CM quality. When he played there for Liverpool he ended up in the same areas as he did when playing on the wing.

He is more forward than midfielder. Conversely Iniesta is more midfielder than forward.

I just don’t see him succeeding as a midfielder here. He will however, cause big problems on the wing.

JamDav1982

Anybody that has ever watched Coutinho will admit that he is not Barça CM quality. When he played there for Liverpool he ended up in the same areas as he did when playing on the wing.

He is more forward than midfielder. Conversely Iniesta is more midfielder than forward.

I just don’t see him succeeding as a midfielder here. He will however, cause big problems on the wing.

He can easily play CM for Barca and when he did for Liverpool on rare occasions ran the game from deep.

Would not be a pure controlling type although think he could he would be more of Iniesta type role.

Folk are mixing up watching him playing in more attacking role and trying more risky things and applying that to him playing deeper.

He can easily play CM for Barca and when he did for Liverpool on rare occasions ran the game from deep.

Would not be a pure controlling type although think he could he would be more of Iniesta type role.

Folk are mixing up watching him playing in more attacking role and trying more risky things and applying that to him playing deeper.

I didn't and still don't watch much Liverpool, so could you point me towards specific games in which Coutinho played deep as a CM in the EPL?

M

MessiCam

I didn't and still don't watch much Liverpool, so could you point me towards specific games in which Coutinho played deep as a CM in the EPL?

There was one game against West Ham last year where he played deep I think.

Edit: And the game after against Middlesbrough.

But against Borough he was often way up the pitch too.

I don’t expect people to agree with me but in my opinion you neuter him by playing him deep. Let him play upfront.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans