Mikel Arteta

Robbie

If he hadn't played for Spain's U-21s he would have been in the English NT years ago. Poor guy was born in the wrong era and in the wrong country. Any other country in the world -- any, and he would be playing for them.

Maria

It doesn't matter if he played for Spain's U-21 team..as far as I know Thiago did the same, but until he played a match with Spain's NT against Italy, he could have still been called-up by Brazil/Italy.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
If he hadn't played for Spain's U-21s he would have been in the English NT years ago. Poor guy was born in the wrong era and in the wrong country. Any other country in the world -- any, and he would be playing for them.

I don't think so.

I think he wants to play for Spain, not England, because he feels Spanish (or Basque, which is close) not English. it would literally take a massive injury crisis for him to get a game, though. this is everyone ahead of him in the pecking order:

Xavi
Iniesta
Busquets
Cesc
Xabi
Javi Martinez
Thiago
Ander
Cazorla

poor bastard!

Robbie

I don't think so.

I think he wants to play for Spain, not England, because he feels Spanish (or Basque, which is close) not English. it would literally take a massive injury crisis for him to get a game, though. this is everyone ahead of him in the pecking order:

Xavi
Iniesta
Busquets
Cesc
Xabi
Javi Martinez
Thiago
Ander
Cazorla

poor bastard!

There are quotes of him out there saying that he's willing to play for England if called up. Capello went to Liverpool to talk with him about it, and he was going to get fast tracked to citizenship (from 9 months to 6 months) in time for the 2010 WC. The FA stepped in and said he wasn't eligible because of his U-21 caps, and that was that.

He's been living and working in Britain for 10 years. He may not have English blood or an English accent, but he's an immigrant and citizen who would proudly play for his adopted nation. It's a shame that he can't though.

ledzep

There are quotes of him out there saying that he's willing to play for England if called up. Capello went to Liverpool to talk with him about it, and he was going to get fast tracked to citizenship (from 9 months to 6 months) in time for the 2010 WC. The FA stepped in and said he wasn't eligible because of his U-21 caps, and that was that.

He's been living and working in Britain for 10 years. He may not have English blood or an English accent, but he's an immigrant and citizen who would proudly play for his adopted nation. It's a shame that he can't though.

talk about FA's stupidity. Exclude a player of Arteta's calibre due to unique stupid and unneccesarry rule, when 98% of your NT is shit.

I am not sure whats more moronic: provoking your NT coach to quit 4 months before a major tournament or shoving extremely talented player the fuck out.

Jenks

Did nobody read the article? He would have had to have had British citizenship at the time that he played for the Spanish youth teams in order to be eligible. I don't think he was too bothered about playing for England anyway, not like Almunia.

Robbie

Made Nasri his bitch this weekend :party1:

His late winning goal (at 5:45 in the video):

7411db6egw1drsqk0dq19g.gif

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

Credit to Arteta for a great strike, but also place the blame for losing the ball on Clichy, who made a stupid risky pass that Pizarro had to chase. To be fair to Pizarro, he had positioned himself perfectly for an easy pass to feet, but Clichy decided to lift the ball over Rosicky instead into a no-man’s land ahead of Pizarro, who then had to run to catch up to the ball. Pizarro made a judgement error in letting it bounce (higher than he expected) instead of catching it out of the air, but place the blame where blame is due- on Clichy for a needlessly risky bozo pass.

paxtonpale

With the way he plays he is a decent to have in Euro. He is consistently playing well for Arsenal and tbh, he is a better player than Thiago atm. Del Bosque just hasn't reliased the talent he has. He also links up well with Xabi Alonso. They are like besties. Also read an article, saying that he could replace Xavi for Barca. A former Barca player and well he looks good controlling the midfield and has completed more passes than Inestia this season (though Inestia has been injuried for a bit).

M

mitkoa7x

With the way he plays he is a decent to have in Euro. He is consistently playing well for Arsenal and tbh, he is a better player than Thiago atm. Del Bosque just hasn't reliased the talent he has. He also links up well with Xabi Alonso. They are like besties. Also read an article, saying that he could replace Xavi for Barca. A former Barca player and well he looks good controlling the midfield and has completed more passes than Inestia this season (though Inestia has been injuried for a bit).

1ec89727fe946e1c8343c8ab0f03f8bf777a4a81.gifa

Home of Barca Fans