Mattia De Sciglio

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
De_S.jpg

Mattia De Sciglio born 20 October 1992) is an Italian professional footballer who plays as a defender for Serie A club Milan.

Club career

Early career
A native of Milan, Mattia De Sciglio started playing football as a child at the Santa Chiara e San Francesco parish recreation centre in the nearby municipality of Rozzano, before moving to local amateur team Cimiano in 2001. The following year, aged ten, he joined A.C. Milan's youth system, where he would spend nine seasons. In 2010, he was a member of the under-20 squad who won the Coppa Italia Primavera, 25 years after the team's last success in the competition.

2011–2012
At the start of the 2011–12 season De Sciglio was officially included in the first team squad by head coach Massimiliano Allegri. He made his professional debut on 28 September 2011, coming on as a substitute in a UEFA Champions League group stage home game against Viktoria Plzeň, which Milan won 2–0. He was given his first start (and second overall appearance) in a 2–2 away draw against the same team on 6 December. Four months later, on 10 April, De Sciglio also made his league debut, playing as a starter in a 1–0 away win over Chievo. The following month, on 6 May, he played in his first Milan derby against city rivals Inter, replacing an injured Daniele Bonera midway through the first half of a 4–2 loss.

2012–2013
For the 2012–13 season De Sciglio was assigned the squad number 2 shirt, which he called "very important" as in the past was worn "by great players Mauro Tassotti and Cafu", adding that he hoped to "live up to their standards". Throughout the first half of the season, De Sciglio became a regular in the starting line-up thanks to a series of convincing performance.

Out of the very decent youngsters AC Milan have currently in what has been a massive transition year with only Ambrosini remaining as the last Senatore, this is the guy i'm most excited about, even moreso than El Sharaawy, i think he's that talented.

Can play RB/LB & has even played CB, his defensive positioning is very good & he has that all time trait of a Milan player with that boss slide tackling (see Maldini/Nesta) he's very skillful & his crosses are really top notch, from the left & the right (both footed) for my money he's already Milans best fullback, better than Abate already IMO.

Definately one to keep an eye on. Also the first player since Maldini to break the 1st team without going on loan to another club first!

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
I see from his quotes that he's aware of the legacy but I also heard Maldini speak of him in an interview. He basically said that any comparisons with him or any other legend will only do this kid harm.

PearLBLacK

Banned
Looked very composed, confident on the ball. But like MoFroBo said, he should've tracked back and covered Oscar instead of ball watching. Promising nonetheless, him and Santon will have good competition.

abual3bed1

Santon?? Haven't seen him since he left Inter. Wasn't he hyped as the next big thing and he flopped badly??

Mattia is more composed imo.

PearLBLacK

Banned
I gather he's good with Newcastle? Don't know for sure as I hardly follow EPL but they're both young and Italy is hardly stocked at LB.

XaviMessiGirl

Santon is good for Newcastle, but I don't think he's fulfilling the potential that people originally thought he would, he's still young though so you can't really call him a flop. But atm it looks like De Sciglio will be better than him, already took his place in the senior NT (Santon sent back down to U21s). And judging by De Sciglio's performance yesterday there's no reason to switch back.

Meitux

he was good but he made mistake at times which led to counter attacks from brazil and one of them led to the goal from Oscar

XaviMessiGirl

He made a crucial error but for the majority of the match he played very well and for someone of his age that's great.

Italia is going to have a perfect setup come 2014, great mix of youth (De Sciglio, Poli, El Sha, Balo, etc) and experience (Pirlo, De Rossi, Buffon, maybe Totti?, etc).

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
He made a crucial error but for the majority of the match he played very well and for someone of his age that's great.

Italia is going to have a perfect setup come 2014, great mix of youth (De Sciglio, Poli, El Sha, Balo, etc) and experience (Pirlo, De Rossi, Buffon, maybe Totti?, etc).

You haven't mentioned Montolivo

De Sciglio looks like a veteran out there, great composure & his two footedness is very refreshing.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

I don't follow Italy but who is closer to taking over for Buffon when he's retired: Sirigu or Perin?

Home of Barca Fans