France Football accuses Qatar of bribing votes for the 2022 World Cup

footyfan

Calma, calma
Map of most popular sport by country. Looks pretty accurate by most accounts.

Australia is debatable, cricket is extremely popular (if not no.1 then defo no.2) but I think Aussie Rules football takes it there. Also, the UAE shows up with cricket as the most popular sport and that's mainly because of the immigrants from South Asia but again football really is the most popular sport over there easily (source: I lived there). Cricket unsurprisingly top in South Asia and the Caribbean, baseball unsurprisingly top in Venezuela, Cuba, Japan, rugby unsurprisingly top in Oceania.

Austria with skiing???

gLJZbix.jpg

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Australia is debatable, cricket is extremely popular (if not no.1 then defo no.2) but I think Aussie Rules football takes it there. Also, the UAE shows up with cricket as the most popular sport and that's mainly because of the immigrants from South Asia but again football really is the most popular sport over there easily (source: I lived there). Cricket unsurprisingly top in South Asia and the Caribbean, baseball unsurprisingly top in Venezuela, Cuba, Japan, rugby unsurprisingly top in Oceania.

Austria with skiing???

gLJZbix.jpg

Pretty dubious in my opinion. Stereotypes galore.

What does "popular sport" even mean? By the number of people actually participating in the sport or the number of followers/fan base?

There is no way ping pong is China's favorite sport. A lot of people play ping prong for sure, but if you ask the average sport fan whether you are going to watch a table tennis tournament or a football tournament, football wins hands down.

And how does South Korea differ from Japan? Both have a vibrant baseball scene, but somehow Japan is deemed a baseball nation while South Korea is a football nation?

Last edited:

Caps

Pretty dubious in my opinion. Stereotypes galore.

What does "popular sport" even mean? By the number of people actually participating in the sport or the number of followers/fan base?

There is no way ping pong is China's favorite sport. A lot of people play ping prong for sure, but if you ask the average sport fan whether you are going to watch a table tennis tournament or a football tournament, football wins hands down.

And how does South Korea differ from Japan? Both have a vibrant baseball scene, but somehow Japan is deemed a baseball nation while South Korea is a football nation?

Um no man, ping pong is definitely Chinas fav sport. If its not, only badminton rivals it.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Um no man, ping pong is definitely Chinas fav sport. If its not, only badminton rivals it.

Again, what is the definition of "favorite sport"?

Participatory or spectator sport?

And I want to see some numbers behind these claims.

Bertus

Guys, do you realize it doesn't mean anything if a sport is popular or not?

http://www.ussoccer.com/about/history/us-soccer-as-host/1994-fifa-world-cup.aspx

The WC94 had the biggest attendance and to this day the record is still not surpassed.

It will not be a problem at all if USA gets the WC. Actually that's where everyone could make the best money.

But that said, that's not the problem. FIFA should not go around giving the WC just like that, it needs a new vote.

SeloBarca

There were an interview with the former Swedish UEFA president Lennart Johansson the other day. He dissed Sepp Blatter so hard and Quatar would have never gotten the World Cup without bribes.

"Blatters reaction, calling people racists, is a normal reaction from Blatter"

"Johansson was the UEFA president between 1990 and 2007. 1998 he ran for Fifa president but lost the duel against Sepp Blatter and Johansson is convinced that the election did not go quite right.

- People around me, those I have worked with for 20 years, which I know well, said they could prove that there were bribes that made ​​it a different outcome than what it really should have been. They saw brown envelopes that was handed over to the right and left"

" -People didnt dare to say anything, becouse it could hurt them personally. 1 person against Blatter and FIFA, you will most likely loose anyways. Theres no gain in beeing honest, so people keep quiet"

Guys, do you realize it doesn't mean anything if a sport is popular or not?

http://www.ussoccer.com/about/history/us-soccer-as-host/1994-fifa-world-cup.aspx

The WC94 had the biggest attendance and to this day the record is still not surpassed.

It will not be a problem at all if USA gets the WC. Actually that's where everyone could make the best money.

But that said, that's not the problem. FIFA should not go around giving the WC just like that, it needs a new vote.

Sweden won a bronze medal in WC94, so its considered one of the best WCs ever here :p
It was a great WC overall aswell. Great atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHtiG5ezkUI

One of the best freekicks ever :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzV4KNj51Do

Ah...the memories...*sniff*

Last edited:

LeeRomeno

Austria with skiing???

gLJZbix.jpg

Looks so wrong, Estonia has skiing as most popular sport, which is utter bs. Its football by far.

Poor_Sunyol

In Lucho we trust!
I was wondering what question was put to them to make this survey. It could have been; do you ski or do you play football?

Home of Barca Fans