Diego López Rodríguez

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Diego López Rodríguez ( born 3 November 1981) is a Spanish footballer who plays for Real Madrid as a goalkeeper.

A youth graduate from hometown's CD Lugo, he moved to Real Madrid at almost 19 and, after a loan at another side from the capital, AD Alcorcón, he eventually moved up to Real's B team, starting in his second season, which ended in Segunda División promotion. López served as first-team backup to Iker Casillas in the following two La Liga seasons.

In late June 2007, López signed for Villarreal CF for a reported fee of €6 million. He remained the first choice keeper for the Yellow Submarine until they got relegated by the end of 2011-12 season.

On 22 May 2012, López signed with Sevilla for five years, for a reported fee of €3,5 million.

On 25 January 2013, López returned to Real Madrid after main goalkeeper Iker Casillas was injured and signed for €4 million, and a contract until the end of the season 2016–17.

=================================================

Has this guy a loser mentality or what!? One would think he would fight for his place at Sevilla and remain their first choice keeper eventually when the age-old Palop calls it a day... But no, he had to accept an offer only to remain an eternal back-up for Casillas :facepalm:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Adán must be heartbroken... and WHAT were Sevilla thinking? They've got no backup now... Since Varas is with Celta. Also: CD Lugo :worthy:

El Gato

Villarato!
Has this guy a loser mentality or what!? One would think he would fight for his place at Sevilla and remain their first choice keeper eventually when the age-old Palop calls it a day... But no, he had to accept an offer only to remain an eternal back-up for Casillas :facepalm:

You can't treat this guy as every other Casillas backup. Casillas indeed is of course the flat out starter, but Lopez won't be Dudek to him. It's much more like Kahn-Lehmann relationship where both keepers are great to good quality and both are experienced and hard working enough to have a shot at starting position. He's no Pinto or Adan, you just can't treat a guy with this level of abilities as every other second fiddle. That's why madridismo is very happy about this transaction. No one expected such a quality player to arrive in Madrid and create a keeper situation that was not seen in, how many years? Finally Iker will be put to work in trainings and will be positively pushed to be consistent knowing he has a proven player to compete with.

And don't be butthurt. Some players actually love Real Madrid and wouldn't refuse them if they came knocking at their door. I can imagine how happy the guy must have been to hear his boyhood club want him back. Not many players who leave Madrid come back.

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Hopefully you get the Diego Lopez of every year since 2010 and not the pre-2010 one.

Then again there's a tradition of washed up keepers thriving in little used backup roles. Just look at the great Pinto.

Last edited:

poldep

You can't treat this guy as every other Casillas backup. Casillas indeed is of course the flat out starter, but Lopez won't be Dudek to him. It's much more like Kahn-Lehmann relationship where both keepers are great to good quality and both are experienced and hard working enough to have a shot at starting position. He's no Pinto or Adan, you just can't treat a guy with this level of abilities as every other second fiddle. That's why madridismo is very happy about this transaction. No one expected such a quality player to arrive in Madrid and create a keeper situation that was not seen in, how many years? Finally Iker will be put to work in trainings and will be positively pushed to be consistent knowing he has a proven player to compete with.

And don't be butthurt. Some players actually love Real Madrid and wouldn't refuse them if they came knocking at their door. I can imagine how happy the guy must have been to hear his boyhood club want him back. Not many players who leave Madrid come back.

Good post! But what about Adan? Will he be second or third choice when Iker comes back.

Garrus

The odd thing about this deal, Is i can't smell mourhinio's scent on on this, A Gk from Sevilla, Who hardly made an appearance there, A former castilla?, I mean really, Since when he gave a crap about that, The administration seem to have decided on this deal, I think joe reached a point where he really doesn't give a shit anymore, Staying just for paycheck.

Garrus

Definitely diego, Unless joe decides to deliberately piss of the guys back at the office for making this kind of a deal and play adan, I really won't be surprised if he did this.
Goal keeping isn't real's main issue, Their back line is a ticking bomb, And the state of the whole team in general is hopeless
It'll take a great amount of luck to avoid a disaster on Wednesday.

Last edited:

poldep

Yep, according to Mundodeportivo Diego will play the Classico. I guess Adan feels like shit. There is absolutely no respect towards him. Yes, Adan you are the best one day and now just gtfo??

I am not so confident about our winning chances. Yes, their backline isnt all that great atm but they still have a great squad. And CR7 will still be playing.

Doobs

The Messiah
Interesting signing from Madrid, can't say it was unexpected.

Does anyone have Diego Lopez's record against Barca? For the lulz?

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Dudek was a very good keeper. Lopez is not better than him. It´s obvious that you over rate him. Tomorrow you will say he´s as good as Iker. lol.

And only the special 15 knows who will play on wednesday. The rest are speculation and BS.

Meitux

oh cmon now seriously....he had some very good seasons at villareal he didnt had the chance to be first choice in real madrid before but now he is second choice to sevilla,i dont see the fact him saving madrid in the copa.....but apparently way better than adan

Home of Barca Fans