Zubizarreta: “We respect Valdés’ professional and irrevocable decision”

F

Flavia

www.fcbarcelona.cat

01/18/2013 13:14

The FC Barcelona sports director has explained that the goalkeeper’s agent has announced to the Club that the player will not be extending his contract any further than June 30, 2014

"We have to support him and encourage him as much as we have done throughout his career" said Zubizarreta

2012-09-02_AREA_FUTBOL_05.v1358511618.JPG

Sports director Andoni Zubizarreta has spoken this morning about Víctor Valdés’ decision not to stay at FC Barcelona any later than 2014, which he was informed about on Thursday via the player’s agent. “We were holding the first meeting to initiate the process for renewing Víctor’s contract. The meeting began with us expressing the club’s desire to extend his contract, because we consider him to be a top class goalkeeper. But before we could make any proposal or discuss anything, his agent said the decision was already made and meditated, and that he will not be staying any later than June 30, 2014. It is an irrevocable decision”, ‘Zubi’ told Barça TV and www.fcbarcelona.com

Committed until 2014

At the same time, Zubizarreta called for supporters to “respect the professional decision of a player who has spent 12 years in this home. With that in mind, we are asking you to continue supporting him and to encourage him as much as you have done throughout his career. He is committed to this jersey until June 30, 2014 and will defend the goal with everything he has and knows. Meanwhile, we shall work together to see what the next steps should be, along with him and his agent, to work together to deal with this situation that arose yesterday”.

F

Flavia

Tito just gave a press conference:

Vilanova: "I have talked with Victor, one on one. We have to respect his decision. He doesn't want to leave now, he doesn't want to renew."

"Until Victor is here, he'll help the team the way he can. It would be nice he could leave the club in a good way, he deserves it"

"I heard about Victor's decision yesterday. Zubizareta told me after the meeting with his agents."

"If Victor continues to play at the same level, he'll continue to be our first goalkeeper."

"He has the right to play at another club, another culture. He's a free man. I respect that."

"A shame he'll leave because Victor is the ideal goalkeeper for Barça. It's never a good moment for someone like him to leave."

"Victor gave us 18 months to look for another goalkeeper. He's honest. This is not about the money, talks didn't even start."

"Victor deserves an exit worthy of the best goalkeeper Barcelona has had in many, many years."

"I'm not disappointed, although my feeling was that he would renew. It's clear I don't have a future as fortune-teller."

"The club has time to find a goalkeeper until 2014. Our scouts are anyway the whole year following players all around the world."

"Victor has been open and honest, we value that. Selling him this summer? Don't know, my job is to make sure he helps the team."

"Could Valdes change his mind later? I don't know. If he says it's irrevocable, I imagine he won't."

"There are good keepers around, but we don't only want them to make saves. Passing is very important. Delicate position."

from barcastuff

BerkeleyBernie

I can understand why a keeper playing for Barça might want to try something else. As part of Barça's possession game, they see the ball less than any other player, and are rarely called upon to block shots.

Galning

I'm pretty sure he means to say that's what he's been told by Valdes' representative. He'd most likely sign Valdes in a heartbeat.

Aha yeah, after reading what Tito said it is indeed something his agent said. Not Barça :)

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
Bad manners by Valdés IMO. Now other clubs know Barça is seeking for a new goalkeeper and the prices will rise.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

He could have told the club but not the media. Terrible decision and hurts barça. Sell him in June to make money. 6 months is enough to search a keeper.

MarkYaeger

I don't know. I really like VV, but something in me tells me this could have been handled a bit better. I don't think he could have privately told the club without the media finding out, as it was public knowledge that renewal talks were starting. But still, I dunno. I understand a player wanting to leave, and he's committed for a year and a half, but it's all of a sudden become very awkward IMO.

What do you guys think were the 'real' reasons for his unwillingness to talk, and desire to leave?

F

Flavia

I don't know. I really like VV, but something in me tells me this could have been handled a bit better. I don't think he could have privately told the club without the media finding out, as it was public knowledge that renewal talks were starting. But still, I dunno. I understand a player wanting to leave, and he's committed for a year and a half, but it's all of a sudden become very awkward IMO.

What do you guys think were the 'real' reasons for his unwillingness to talk, and desire to leave?

Sport is saying he had made up his mind in november. Something motivated him, as according to Tito is not money, as he's not in talks with anyone. So he probably wants to experience other leagues, countries, etc.

MarkYaeger

Sport is saying he had made up his mind in november. Something motivated him, as according to Tito is not money, as he's not in talks with anyone. So he probably wants to experience other leagues, countries, etc.

Ah I see. Could be.. understandable

Eetu

Adormit
Rumor was out already and any team receiving a bid for quality GK would've known what's up. What he did was to steal Marca and AS of a bunch of cover stories for the next few months.

Home of Barca Fans