Will Hughes

S

Smile

Seen threads of this guy on a lot of teams football forums and is receiving a lot of praise, not seen one here though so i'll make one.

Will Hughes

Watch a lot of Championship football and love this guy, Barcelona are apparently keeping a close eye on him along with all the top/medium sized clubs in the PL.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VXLmFpGa4BM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Above is probably the best video on YT of him, i don't believe does him justice to some other games i've seen on him, but does give you a good indication of his ability, watching this though you can see his ability to dictate a football game right at center of the pitch and at a high level full of seasoned pros that the Championship is for a 17 year old is impressive, his good football brain/vision (his assist) and good close ball control (see run on 3:52).

Looks every bit as talented as Wilshere imo.

What does everybody here think?

Last edited:

Jenks

Overrated. That's not to say he doesn't have fantastic potential, but he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Wilshere and media hype is going way overboard. Definitely not on the same levels of technical ability and composure that Wilshere had at that age. Still impressive, but people are getting carried away over him.

S

Smile

Overrated. That's not to say he doesn't have fantastic potential, but he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Wilshere and media hype is going way overboard. Definitely not on the same levels of technical ability and composure that Wilshere had at that age. Still impressive, but people are getting carried away over him.

I've seen you use the word 'overrated' quite a lot mate, even used it about Wilshere.

Think about what overrated really means, overrated means people going 'amazing player' 'this players is this and that' and failing to deliver on all the hype and these tags more times than not, Balotelli is what i would describe as a overrated player.

Wilshere's case, people call him future England captain, a Spanish type midfielder, amazing potential, could be a future Scholes, amazing technical ability and when you watch Wilshere play, he does things that make you go 'good play' and 'wow' all the time which means he lives up to everything people say about him and what people say isn't overrating him, if people was calling him the greatest midfielder EVER then yes that is overrating.

In Hughes's case, no one is saying anything other than he's a young guy with amazing potential and is linked with some of the greatest club sides in world football, how is that overrating? :icon_confused: I don't think comparing him with Wilshere watching his performances this season is overrating him either.

Last edited:

Jenks

I've seen you use the word 'overrated' quite a lot mate, even used it about Wilshere.

Think about what overrated really means, overrated means people going 'amazing player' 'this players is this and that' and failing to deliver on all the hype and these tags more times than not, Balotelli is what i would describe as a overrated player.

Wilshere's case, people call him future England captain, a Spanish type midfielder, amazing potential, could be a future Scholes, amazing technical ability and when you watch Wilshere play, he does things that make you go 'good play' and 'wow' all the time which means he lives up to everything people say about him and what people say isn't overrating him, if people was calling him the greatest midfielder EVER then yes that is overrating.

In Hughes's case, no one is saying anything other than he's a young guy with amazing potential and is linked with some of the greatest club sides in world football, how is that overrating? :icon_confused: I don't think comparing him with Wilshere watching his performances this season is overrating him either.

I know what overrated means, it's fairly self explanatory. People are rating both players too highly. Arsenal fans are saying Wilshere will be the best midfielder in the world in a few years, when Thiago and Veratti are about the same age and probably better than he is. And you yourself have just said that Hughes looks "every bit as talented as Wilshere", which is an insane overestimation of his talent. And that's before we get to the people in the media claiming than Barca are mointoring him. Yeah fucking right, course they are! :lol: :facepalm:

S

Smile

I know what overrated means, it's fairly self explanatory. People are rating both players too highly. Arsenal fans are saying Wilshere will be the best midfielder in the world in a few years, when Thiago and Veratti are about the same age and probably better than he is. And you yourself have just said that Hughes looks "every bit as talented as Wilshere", which is an insane overestimation of his talent. And that's before we get to the people in the media claiming than Barca are mointoring him. Yeah fucking right, course they are! :lol: :facepalm:

That is ridiculous. Those players good as they are, are not on the same level as Wilshere at the moment (not saying they won't be) and are not playing at the same level Wilshere is on a week in week out basis, so if anything you are overrating them.

As for me linking 17 year old Hughes to Wilshere, playing style is there for all to see, you say 17 year old Wilshere was better that age than Hughes was, where do you get that from?

Hughes right now is playing in the Championship everyweek, Wilshere at 17 was playing in the reserves, 18 went to Bolton and 19 started playing for Arsenal.

Jenks

That is ridiculous. Those players good as they are, are not on the same level as Wilshere at the moment (not saying they won't be) and are not playing at the same level Wilshere is on a week in week out basis, so if anything you are overrating them.

You'll struggle to find many people outside of England that think Wilshere is better than Thiago.

As for me linking 17 year old Hughes to Wilshere, playing style is there for all to see, you say 17 year old Wilshere was better that age than Hughes was, where do you get that from?

Hughes right now is playing in the Championship everyweek, Wilshere at 17 was playing in the reserves, 18 went to Bolton and 19 started playing for Arsenal.

Beyond both being left footed and playing in the centre, they don't have the same playing style. Wilshere knows to control tempo, while Hughes has it dictated to him by the opposition. He can't dribble like Wilshere and he certainly doesn't have the touch or the ability to shield the ball. As for Wilshere at 17, I saw him play against Rangers and Atletico in pre-season when he was 17, and the difference in quality is obvious.

Last edited:
S

Smile

You'll struggle to find many people outside of England that think Wilshere is better than Thiago.

Beyond both being left footed and playing in the centre, they don't have the same playing style. Wilshere knows to control tempo, while Hughes has it dictated to him by the opposition. He can't dribble like Wilshere and he certainly doesn't have the touch or the ability to shield the ball. As for Wilshere at 17, I saw him play against Rangers and Atletico in pre-season when he was 17, and the difference in quality is obvious.

You’ve never watched Hughes play at all have you? :lol:

You are entitled to your opinion, but ever since you said the Welsh are better at producing talent than the English (even though English produced all the Welsh talent you said) and are closer to the Spainish than England, I don’t take anything what you say seriously :)

Jenks

It's much easier to lazily dismiss a point than actually articulate a reasoned counter-argument I suppose.

Allen and Ramsey were both developed by Welsh clubs. The Welsh youth teams are taught to play a much more possession based style of play than the English ones are. These are facts.

S

Smile

:lol:Thiago and veratti not on wilshere level.

Good stuff. Good

Marco Verratti is defiantly not on the same level as Wilshere right now, i'm not even going to explain why, he's just not!

As for Thiago, I dont think playing comes as naturally to him as it does Wilshere, when Wilshere is put under pressure he excells, in Thiagos case when he is pressed a lot can often gave the ball away and look a bit lost. Wilshere reminds me more of Xavi/Iniesta than thiago does. Thiago is a bit more of a show pony, more Sahin type of player, amazing potential but can easy fade.

I'm not saying he won't reach Wilshere's level one day, he has amazing potential but right now he's not at Wilshere's level in terms of what he's done and where he is in development, i don't need to go into that surely?

Last edited:
S

Smile

It's much easier to lazily dismiss a point than actually articulate a reasoned counter-argument I suppose.

Allen and Ramsey were both developed by Welsh clubs. The Welsh youth teams are taught to play a much more possession based style of play than the English ones are. These are facts.

It's not facts at all, it's just beyond ridiculous what you said, i'm not the only 1 here to laugh at you when you said it either. Only a bias Welshman would think that and even a crazy one at that and you say you are English :eusa_think:

Jenks

It's not facts at all, it's just beyond ridiculous what you said, i'm not the only 1 here to laugh at you when you said it either.

You mean like you've just been laughed at with your remarks about Verratti and Thiago? Argumentum ad populum. Doesn't prove anything. Nor do your ad hominem attacks...

Only a bias Welshman would think that and even a crazy one at that and you say you are English :eusa_think:

You seem desperate to find a reason to dismiss my points instead of contending them.

S

Smile

You mean like you've just been laughed at with your remarks about Verratti and Thiago? Argumentum ad populum. Doesn't prove anything. Nor do your ad hominem attacks...
I'm on a Barcelona forum and a forum where a 'some' members have agenda's against the PL and English footballers. So of course the majority will disagree, so I'm leaving it at that, I've gave my 'opinion' and that's it. I don't think what i have said is unfair though, most of what i have said about Thiago over playing/show pony and looking lost when pressed or under pressure others have said in the Thiago thread here, so what have i said that others members haven't already? :icon_confused:

Can do amazing stuff when as time on the ball, but i believe certainly more raw and behind Wilshere in where he is right now.

You seem desperate to find a reason to dismiss my points instead of contending them.
[/QUOTE]

There is nothing you said that i have not already covered, in Hughes's case you clearly haven't watched Hughes play and that's all there is on the matter, there is nothing to contend on it.

Last edited:

Jenks

I've seen Hughes play, that's why I'm so confident that he's not at the level Wilshere was. You can see his touches aren't there, he doesn't shield the ball as well and is getting hurried in possession. That's not to say he's not an exciting prospect, but to say he's where Wilshere was is crazy. Maybe in terms of first team readiness at a push, but technically? No way.

Last edited:
S

Smile

Look you have gave your opinion, i disagree, leave it at that and let's not ruin the thread where (both agree) the player the thread is about is an exciting prospect over something so pointless like who was better than who at a particular age :tea:

Where do you think he'll end up? Or which team do you think will suit his style of play more? I've heard he's a Liverpool fan.

Home of Barca Fans