Eric Abidal

FinBarcelonafan

There are two sides to every story but in this case, I don't think Abidal was really in the wrong here.

You had a number of stories on how the training wasn't the greatest and how the team was split into two camps, ones that wanted to keep Valverde and the others that wanted him gone. You could see on the pitch how poor the team had become under Valverde, and the amount of excuse some of these guys gave Valverde after the failures of last season was just ridiculous.

You had guys like Pique doing whatever the fuck he wanted and still got a free pass on this shit. I get Messi is trying to defend the team but I really hate the say this but I basically lost some sort of respect I had for him for backing this shitshow that happened last season.

Great that he's taking shots at the board though.

Exactly. I lost a lot of respect for Messi and other seniors when they backed Valverde after Liverpool AND Valencia losses!!! That was outrageous. It's obvious they did whatever they wanted with Valverde while enjoying great salary and long holidays.

Devils

I'm not take sides on this...but why in the actual fuck do people from our management feel the need to go out to the media and ELABORATE on why a manager was sacked?

What other club does such moronic things like that?

Is it so hard to say "We felt the need to change things and made the decision to do so"? Like why fucking elaborate on players, matches etc...and all the stuff that lead to the decision?

Dumbest shit, dawg.

Barcilliant

Silly for Abidal to open up about the sacking but massive over reaction from Messi. I wish he had shown more emotion after those cl debacles the fans have had to endure.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Silly for Abidal to open up about the sacking but massive over reaction from Messi. I wish he had shown more emotion after those cl debacles the fans have had to endure.

It's a confluence of factors and our captain got fed up in the absence of true leadership at the club. The timing is devastating but it was absolutely needed IMHO. Abidal will be the sacrificial lamb when he likely gets the axe but it's clear this is all about Bartomeu & the utterly rudderless sporting direction of the club

PhilS

Accusing Xavi of lying, even if Xavi was lying, accusing the players of not working hard. Abidal knew his job was over before he made these remarks. He will not work in this sport again.

PhilS

If he had gotten sacrificed, and not lashed out at Xavi or the players, then his reputation would not have been ruined. If everything Abidal said was true, then he still should not have said it, he should have just silently taken the fall.

Messi had to speak up, but this still puts him in a very bad spot. I'm not sure Messi can continue with the club now, even if all club management gets replaced.

El Gato

Villarato!
If he had gotten sacrificed, and not lashed out at Xavi or the players, then his reputation would not have been ruined. If everything Abidal said was true, then he still should not have said it, he should have just silently taken the fall.

Messi had to speak up, but this still puts him in a very bad spot. I'm not sure Messi can continue with the club now, even if all club management gets replaced.

Lmao this is precisely the mentality in the dressing room - if it's damaging, don't say it, because it's not your place to do so.

FC433

I am against firing or letting him go, but what I think is irrelevant. However, whatever the decision is, it should be taken very soon. We need to start planning for next season from now.

behindbrowneyes

Who is supposed to say the negative things then? Nobody?

The coach is the only one who is allowed to criticize the players. Abidal has to be diplomatic in public. He can talk about this internally, going to the dressing room and telling it to their face but not to the press. There is no need for him to clarify the reason for Valverde's sacking. 'We felt that the team needed some fresh ideas and therefore we decided to hire a new coach' is all he should say in that case.

FinBarcelonafan

The coach is the only one who is allowed to criticize the players. Abidal has to be diplomatic in public. He can talk about this internally, going to the dressing room and telling it to their face but not to the press. There is no need for him to clarify the reason for Valverde's sacking. 'We felt that the team needed some fresh ideas and therefore we decided to hire a new coach' is all he should say in that case.

I think this team has been too quiet for too long.

Home of Barca Fans