Eric Abidal

khaled_a_d

I seriously hope he steps up big time in summer. Show some guts and don't go for the next expensive shiny toy again.
Abidal signings so far:
Arthur & Lenglet: both deals were sealed by Roberto but he made them official.
Malcom, flop but we recouped some money.
Vidal: Good, cheap move tbf.
Todibo: out of the club already, rumors he might be sold as he didn't convince.
Murillo & Boateng on loan: Meh
Griezmann: I like him, but he plays same position as Messi. awfully bad move IMO.
Firpo: he is young and he will have his chance to convince. But that is yet to happen.
FDJ: his best move.
Neto: decent move.
But he ignored team weakness a lot, last season we played the whole year without a back up LB, counting on a 18 years old Miranda :lol: and this year we are starting the season with no wingers except Dembele and we might have second half of the season with just 3 CBs including injury prone Umtiti.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I seriously hope he steps up big time in summer. Show some guts and don't go for the next expensive shiny toy again.
Abidal signings so far:
Arthur & Lenglet: both deals were sealed by Roberto but he made them official.
Malcom, flop but we recouped some money.
Vidal: Good, cheap move tbf.
Todibo: out of the club already, rumors he might be sold as he didn't convince.
Murillo & Boateng on loan: Meh
Griezmann: I like him, but he plays same position as Messi. awfully bad move IMO.
Firpo: he is young and he will have his chance to convince. But that is yet to happen.
FDJ: his best move.
Neto: decent move.
But he ignored team weakness a lot, last season we played the whole year without a back up LB, counting on a 18 years old Miranda :lol: and this year we are starting the season with no wingers except Dembele and we might have second half of the season with just 3 CBs including injury prone Umtiti.

If the season goes south he'll probably get fired. I'm not sure how much is on him and the board and Bartomeu himself.

He should have never accepted the job.

serghei

I would put Malcom and Todibo down to Valverde. Malcom for example was a really puzzling case. He barely played, but when he did he played very well, even against top teams. Goals against Madrid, Inter away, Villareal away. Was great when he came on vs Atletico at 0-0, was great vs Valencia in the Cup final rejuvenating that RW flank.

Malcom could've worked with better coaching and was an excellent squad player that has been horribly misused by Valverde. Todibo got no chance whatsoever. I wouldn't call either of them flops.

Last edited:

Devils

Abidal as a player was legendary at this club, but in sporting management, he's looking even worse than Segura, Robert and Zubi.

mc_lovin

We reallly went into the 2nd half of the season with 4 first team forwards (2 injured) and 3 CBs (one pretty much done). This board.

Devils

We reallly went into the 2nd half of the season with 4 first team forwards (2 injured) and 3 CBs (one pretty much done). This board.

There is no way they didn't know about Suarez's operation before January as well as the decision to sell Perez.

Even before Dembele's injury, they HAD to bring in a forward.

Seriously, the only player who should have been allowed to leave in January should have been Wague and signing an attacking player was an absolute must even prior to Dembouz's relapse.

This is a total disaster.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Abidal will surely be sacrificed by Bartomeu since that's what he does to protect himself but I have little doubt the responsibility for all this mess rests with Bartomeu

Devils

Abidal will surely be sacrificed by Bartomeu since that's what he does to protect himself but I have little doubt the responsibility for all this mess rests with Bartomeu

Well yes, seeing as he's the one who hired Abidal.

No offense, but it's pretty clear that the reason why he was hired was because his name was 'Eric Abidal' without having any significant experience in managing sporting projects at clubs, especially one with as much pressure and demand and Fc Barcelona.

Sorin

Even if Barto is the main culprit, Abidal, by being an acomplice, carries a lot of the blame too. He has 0 experience and doesn't seem to have the ability either.

behindbrowneyes

I do think he is not experienced enough for this job. However, reading between the lines he didn't have the necessary funds to buy a striker. More so, selling certain players was a decision by the board because the club desperately needed money. You don't weaken your squad by selling your 4th CB and a winger with half-injured Umtiti, injured Suárez and reconvalescent Dembélé if you don't need money.

https://www.mundodeportivo.com/futb...e-bartomeu-con-abidal-que-sale-reforzado.html

tacticvarium

No wonder why seniors including MESSI are complacent as fuck.
The biggest double-edged sword in history of sports.
The guy is not as humble/self-critical as Xavi or Iniesta.
He has stayed here way too long and has become a dictator in the dressing room.

Last edited:

xXKonan

There are two sides to every story but in this case, I don't think Abidal was really in the wrong here.

You had a number of stories on how the training wasn't the greatest and how the team was split into two camps, ones that wanted to keep Valverde and the others that wanted him gone. You could see on the pitch how poor the team had become under Valverde, and the amount of excuse some of these guys gave Valverde after the failures of last season was just ridiculous.

You had guys like Pique doing whatever the fuck he wanted and still got a free pass on this shit. I get Messi is trying to defend the team but I really hate the say this but I basically lost some sort of respect I had for him for backing this shitshow that happened last season.

Great that he's taking shots at the board though.

Home of Barca Fans