Eric Abidal

Stric

I think that, if he really wants to play, we should extend his contract until 2014 and use him sparingly, in less important games, and for fewer minutes. As the 4th choice CB or whatever. He's amazingly good, and it would kind of suck to see him spared like that, but he's still in recovery, he's old, and using him as a regular in top-flight football doesn't strike me as a good idea. However, if he wishes to continue, I think we should offer him an extension and give him some opportunities.

I'd still prefer it if he himself decided to retire this summer, though. Without being denied an extension first or anything like that. As much as I love his playing, and it's obvious he's still got it, I'd prefer it if he just called it a day and left with his head held high, after showing everyone what a warrior he is. Then stay at the club at an executive position or whatever.

Last edited:

Garrus

It's not going to happen, Tito wants at maximum 22 players next season, As much as it hurts me to say this, But there is no place for him anymore, He can no longer compete at the high level and standards barcelona need.

I think that, if he really wants to play, we should extend his contract until 2014 and use him sparingly, in less important games, and for fewer minutes. As the 4th choice CB or whatever. He's amazingly good, and it would kind of suck to see him spared like that, but he's still in recovery, he's old, and using him as a regular in top-flight football doesn't strike me as a good idea. However, if he wishes to continue, I think we should offer him an extension and give him some opportunities.

He might be the 6th choice CB next season, with Pique, the new CB, Puyol, Masch, and Bartra in the squad. Not sure if he'd like that. Not to mention 6 CBs is excessive. He does love the club though, not to mention he's old and just recovered from cancer. So I can see him being content with that. If he's not, I can see him moving somewhere like the MLS for a few years and then returning to the club for some kind of executive position or whatever.

Last edited:

spark

The thing I like about his playing the most is his composure. I can't imagine him being stressed regardless of which player he was facing. And he tricks them around like children. :worthy: I think Busquets learned a lot from him in this respect.

I'm really having second thoughts about what I wish for his future. I wanted him to retire, but seeing how good he is, even at this particular moment, really makes me want to have him in the squad next season. As the ___-th choice CB, at least.

:beer2:

He really is a joy to watch on form. That season in 2011 just b4 he was diagnosed, he had reach such a mastery of football. Making the likes of Ozil look foolish with simple feints and turns. Then he came back played a cl final like nothing happened.Now one liver transplant later and still as cool and classy as ever.Its as if he plays in a time bubble.

BerkeleyBernie

760434517.gif

His tiki-taka continuing right after that move was also gorgeous.

Bionicman

:facepalm: And here I was, thinking that today's performance would kill the stupid idea that Abidal would spend hundreds/thousands of hours in training just so that he could make a few cameos and retire. On a team where the 2011-2013 version of Pique is our first choice CB, Abidal will be more than good enough.

E

El Messiah 10

I wouldn't risk him against such a strong team, yet. Not when Bayern is going to unleash an onslaught.

Ok, it's true.
But if he fit well, if he feel good, I think that in crucial and hard match like Bayern-Barca it's much better a player like Abidal, with great experience and attitude, than a young defender like Bartra.

Alves-Pique-Abidal-Alba it's a good defense.

Last edited:

King Leo

Banned
He was amazing. MOTM in my view. So cool, so well positioned. Great to see him play the whole match. Not as fit as Bartra but I'm more confident with Abi than playing the kid against Bayern.

oz187

He will most definitely not play against Bayern 3 days after playing 90 minutes for the first time in 420 days. :facepalm: Him starting today was a miracle in itself, there's no way he'll play 2 games in less than a week.

Actually it is possible. Since he hasn't been starting games his body won't have the fatigue a season beings on. His fitness is increasing every week. It wasn't the most strenuous game but it will have made him stronger. At this stage playing regularly might even be the best thing for improving his fitness. He's got a couple of days to recover, I could see him playing an hour or so alongside Pique. Not guaranteed, but there is a chance.

But yeah, he was imperious in this game against Levante.

Valdivia

Abi has always been the king of cool in Barca's defence. His on the ball skills have always been underrated. Great performance last night.

I also loved the crowd's cheering for every ball he touches. Nice gesture from the culés.

Home of Barca Fans