Eric Abidal

dalitis8

Banned
Sold all his cars??

Hmm, I 've heard about such cases before... I am not sure what my thoughts and feelings are on this revelatory cases.

So, it was alright, before getting cancer, to be living the good life, but all of a sudden, a message from God was sent to Abidal...indicating that he is somehow chosen, and has a mission to complete???

On the other hand, I can see the good intentions behind it, but the whole schema is questionable for me. Too narrow-minded.

Too celf-centred if you will. An effort to explain the world, in terms of the self.

Marc

Sold all his cars??

Hmm, I 've heard about such cases before... I am not sure what my thoughts and feelings are on this revelatory cases.

So, it was alright, before getting cancer, to be living the good life, but all of a sudden, a message from God was sent to Abidal...indicating that he is somehow chosen, and has a mission to complete???

On the other hand, I can see the good intentions behind it, but the whole schema is questionable for me. Too narrow-minded.

Too celf-centred if you will. An effort to explain the world, in terms of the self.
People need dramatic things to shake them from their apathy. Maybe he did not see some things before he got cancer and now he does. Either way, it is good to see that he changed and that he is willing to admit. If he was ''celf-centred'' he would not do what he did and he would continue with his life like nothing happened.
This is a great example of how great man he is, he saw and experienced the worst part of the life, and now he is willing to help those that are still there. I bow to this great man.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Great man or not, I applaud him.
And also, before people start scrutinizing others it's good to take a hard look in a mirror first and ask yourself "What noble thing have I done lately?".

dalitis8

Banned
No no no, I think you missed my point (surely there is goodness in him)

but I am referring to something a little bit more subtle here. Radically changing your behaviour after an event (and declaring it at the same time) that has shifted the spotlight onto you,may be for me is an indication that Abidal may be enjoying too much his newfound status as a "saint" and does not want to get off the fix. Therefore, the propensity to perform Christain acts or whatever. Surely Abidal knew about the horrors of the world long before cancer... but that did not have much of an effect on him.

And this is precisely what bothers me. It's as if demonstrating that knowledge itself is not good enough. You have to go through some brutal existential experience, before being able to see the world for what it is.

It is, if you will, a clear demonstration of how our society demeans the intellect, and prioritizes the immanent.

Great man or not, I applaud him.
And also, before people start scrutinizing others it's good to take a hard look in a mirror first and ask yourself "What noble thing have I done lately?".

I am not saying that I am better than Abidal. In fact this has very little to do with him. It's just that this incident has reminded me of similar cases. My effort is to criticize society and its values, rather than Abidal as an individual. He is just an example. He maybe in fact a great guy, and hopefully he will have a great game next Saturday, and maybe even score as well.

gingerless

kind of agree with dalitis, if you're looking at the bigger picture. i can understand it sure, i wouldn't say he shouldn't do it though but like marc said some people need things like this in order to see clearer.

btw, if you're thinking this is like an abidal hate thing or anything like that, just don't. i love abidal more than you guys on here i bet :lol:

alex 10

Speaking at a press conference before Wednesday’s training session, French defender Eric Abidal describes how his life has changed since his illness, and how much he hopes to be ready for the Champions League final.

His illness has changed his life. Eric Abidal has changed his priorities and maintains that one must think positively and always fight to the end. Abi has insisted he will remain in Barcelona to live when he hangs up his boots.

“I see life in a different way [now]. Many things I thought were useful or important, now they are not. Therefore I have sold all my cars.” These were Éric Abidal’s words during the press conference prior to training on Wednesday in which he makes it clear how his life has changed after overcoming a tumor in his liver. “When you experience a problem like mine, the cars serve no purpose. That’s why I sold them and the money is destined to fight against the illnesses with some associations with whom I have contact.”

Values ​​such as effort, the spirit of perseverance and optimism in adversity have all acquired extra meaning for Abidal in the past month and a half, meaning that he’ll never forget: ”I thought I would never play again. It was during a short period of time, because when they detect a tumour you think the worst and that was the first thing I asked the doctors. There are many people who fight against disease and illness. When we go to hospitals to visit children, the speech that we say is the same one that I have repeated to myself: the most important thing is family and fighting to the end.”

Abidal was unable to play the Champions League final in Rome through suspension and therefore it would be a special dream for him to be able to step onto the pitch for the final at Wembley on May 28: ”I’m working to be ready. I don’t know if I’ll be ready to play 90 minutes or [only] less. I know it will be very difficult to regain the form that I had before the illness, but with the desire that I have and the work of the physiotherapists and the coaches I will try to do my best.”

Abidal already knows what it’s like to play at Wembley Stadium. He played there with France and there made a promise in writing that he would return to play the Champions League final with Barça: “It’s a very large and impressive stadium. It has it’s place in the history of Barcelona and I expect that we will write another line in the history books. There I have written a note saying that the club would play the final. I hope that the note is still there.”

As announced on Sunday during an interview with ‘El Marcador’ on Barça TV, Abidal has confirmed that he will continue to live in Catalunya when he stops playing football. When asked the reasons, his response has been very clear: “Because I like [it here]. I’ve always wanted to play for Barça and have lived many years in France, especially in Lyon. Life here is spectacular. We have it all, people are very nice. There is sun, beaches, ski resorts very close for the children. I think it’s the life I want for my family and myself.”

Home of Barca Fans