Samuel Umtiti

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I didn't study medicine, but isn't a knee cartilage injury a major worry considering its regeneration ability is limited? Remember having read that.

Probably affected his performances a lot. He's been slower than usual and sluggish for quite some time now.

xXKonan

That's exactly why I'm worried that he might have inflcited some irreversible damage to his knee.
Ledley King, a former England international and Spurs player, wore out the cartilage in his knee to a point where it was nothing but bone.

This is what Harry Redknapp said of him.

"There's no cure. There's no cartilage, nothing to operate on. It's just bone on bone. So it's just a question of managing it. It swells up after games and it normally takes seven days to recover but having played on Monday night he's had less time than usual. He rarely trains, he mostly just goes to the gym to keep himself ticking over. But not running or anything like that. But even if he only plays 20 games a season, he's worth having because he's so good we have a much better chance of winning."

xXKonan

When is Umtiti coming back?
From what the Catalan press say it was originally three weeks. But it depends if the treatment he's getting on his knee. If it helps him he will be back here soon if not he's going to have surgery and could be out until 2019.

xXKonan

[tw]1050070961217826816[/tw]

Won't play vs Sevilla and is in doubt for both Inter and even the Classico as well. So far though no plans on him having surgery.

PhilS

Not sure quite what his knee problem amounts to. It would be unusual for such a young athlete to have worn away the cartilage under his patella. Sometimes rough cartilage can just be smoothed out. Professional athletes can sometimes get transplants from cadavers or pigs. Most commonly, an athlete just has to deal with the pain. There can be some recovery just over time, but this amount of time is more likely to be years than months.

Barcilliant

We need to let him recover and buy a centre back in Jan or get one on loan. Pique is struggling, Vermaelen is injury prone.

If Pique or Vermaelen is injured then we're screwed.

I blame Valverde. He just fucking drains the players by not rotating.

khaled_a_d

We need to let him recover and buy a centre back in Jan or get one on loan. Pique is struggling, Vermaelen is injury prone.

If Pique or Vermaelen is injured then we're screwed.

I blame Valverde. He just fucking drains the players by not rotating.

Blame him for what? EV wanted an extra CB last season and didn't get it.
And CBs are rarely rotated, Vermaelen actually had his healthiest season under EV, Umtiti injury isn't even known and it happened so early in the year.
Even Pique has sometime to rest after international retiring and I am not sure his form can be attributed to fatigue

xXKonan

According to MD, if Umtiti has to have surgery he will be out for 4 months.

Going by some of the reports today, it seems like it's not looking good for him as his injury seems worse than feared.

Home of Barca Fans