Samuel Umtiti

BarçaBarça

Demands 6M net according to Sport. That sounds quite greedy, but apparently ManU has offered him just that this summer. I have no doubt that we will reach common ground, although this demand from him is quite high..

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Demands 6M net according to Sport. That sounds quite greedy, but apparently ManU has offered him just that this summer. I have no doubt that we will reach common ground, although this demand from him is quite high..

It's really not greedy at all. Dembele is already making that much and Coutinho even more from what I've read. Umtiti has done so much for us already in 2 years and will be a crucial part of any success we have for the next 10 years.

If we're allocating based on performance/age/merit, then Umtiti probably deserves to be the 2nd highest paid after Messi (Busi is better/has way more merit but he's also near 30).

FinBarcelonafan

Have you seen the market for defenseman? One DIK was bought for rid. price by Liverpool. Umtiti is worth more and is better player. 6 million is not that much for WC defenseman.

Messi983

That's crazy.

What is it with us and low buyout clauses?

Right now Umtiti's buyout is low but it wasn't really set that low when he signed with us in June 2016. He was brought as a backup to Masche with a HOPE to be his possible longterm replacement. Other players like Digne, Jasper, Denis that we've bought the same summer have similar clauses because their expected initial roles were similar to Umtiti's but right now nobody is complaining they are too low because none of them has proven to be good enough to be a starter. Paco's and Gomes's clauses were set a bit higher at 100M but they were proven players in La Liga (and both also had some NT experience) and they probably also agreed to higher clause just so they could get out of the mess Valencia was at that time.

Umtiti needed Mathieu's injury to get into France squad for Euro and then Rami's suspension for Deschamps to finally give him a chance in Euro quarter final. But when we signed him he had yet to make his NT debut and while he was good for Lyon nobody really know if he'll make it with us. If he would be only good enough to be a backup like Digne then his clause (while easy reachable for most top clubs) would still probably be high enough because no club would really pay 60M for a backup defender.

Another thing to consider is how market has changed. In June 2016 record transfer fee for CB was around 50M that PSG paid for David Luiz and Rio Ferdinand from 15 years ago was still the second most expensive CB. World record transfer fee was around 100M so paying 60M for CB was not as easily expected as is today. City has paid 55M for John Stones few weeks later but prices for transfers inside EPL were always inflated, especially for young British players. But even at that time I think nobody could realistically expect market prices will go up for 200% in one summer thanks to Neymar and PSG. What was previously 30-40M has suddenly become 70-80M. Clubs are adapting to the new circumstances and Barça is doing the same which is seen from the higher clauses that we've put in new contracts of Messi, Pique and Roberto and we'll do the same with Alba, Umtiti and other players who will renew or those we'll sign. Even Mina who is totally unproven in Europe has a 100M clause. 2-3 years ago it would probably be set at 50-60M like we did with Umtiti.

Anyway, I think people are way too worried about release clauses in general. Just because Neymar backstabbed us it doesn't mean every player will do the same. I think Umtiti is perfectly happy here especially now that we also bought his best friend Dembele. If he had any thoughts about leaving then I think Pep would prefer him over Laporte for almost the same price. And Klopp would probably also rather sign him instead of spending 25M more on VVD.

Big Sam will get a new contract this year but I personally (and club probably as well) see this more as a reward to what he's done so far and will in the future than just as an attempt to rise his release clause. Until he's happy here (and I have no reason to believe he's not) his clause can be 1€ and he'll stay. When/If he'll become unhappy for one or another reason we'll sell him for far less than what his new clause will be because we are not PSG and have never kept players whose minds were not in the club anymore. And I don't want us ever doing that no matter how good that want-away player might be. There are more than enough quality players in the world who wants to play for Barça to keep those who prefer to be somewhere else at any cost.

Right now Umtiti's buyout is low but it wasn't really set that low when he signed with us in June 2016. He was brought as a backup to Masche with a HOPE to be his possible longterm replacement. Other players like Digne, Jasper, Denis that we've bought the same summer have similar clauses because their expected initial roles were similar to Umtiti's but right now nobody is complaining they are too low because none of them has proven to be good enough to be a starter. Paco's and Gomes's clauses were set a bit higher at 100M but they were proven players in La Liga (and both also had some NT experience) and they probably also agreed to higher clause just so they could get out of the mess Valencia was at that time.

Umtiti needed Mathieu's injury to get into France squad for Euro and then Rami's suspension for Deschamps to finally give him a chance in Euro quarter final. But when we signed him he had yet to make his NT debut and while he was good for Lyon nobody really know if he'll make it with us. If he would be only good enough to be a backup like Digne then his clause (while easy reachable for most top clubs) would still probably be high enough because no club would really pay 60M for a backup defender.

Another thing to consider is how market has changed. In June 2016 record transfer fee for CB was around 50M that PSG paid for David Luiz and Rio Ferdinand from 15 years ago was still the second most expensive CB. World record transfer fee was around 100M so paying 60M for CB was not as easily expected as is today. City has paid 55M for John Stones few weeks later but prices for transfers inside EPL were always inflated, especially for young British players. But even at that time I think nobody could realistically expect market prices will go up for 200% in one summer thanks to Neymar and PSG. What was previously 30-40M has suddenly become 70-80M. Clubs are adapting to the new circumstances and Barça is doing the same which is seen from the higher clauses that we've put in new contracts of Messi, Pique and Roberto and we'll do the same with Alba, Umtiti and other players who will renew or those we'll sign. Even Mina who is totally unproven in Europe has a 100M clause. 2-3 years ago it would probably be set at 50-60M like we did with Umtiti.

Anyway, I think people are way too worried about release clauses in general. Just because Neymar backstabbed us it doesn't mean every player will do the same. I think Umtiti is perfectly happy here especially now that we also bought his best friend Dembele. If he had any thoughts about leaving then I think Pep would prefer him over Laporte for almost the same price. And Klopp would probably also rather sign him instead of spending 25M more on VVD.

Big Sam will get a new contract this year but I personally (and club probably as well) see this more as a reward to what he's done so far and will in the future than just as an attempt to rise his release clause. Until he's happy here (and I have no reason to believe he's not) his clause can be 1€ and he'll stay. When/If he'll become unhappy for one or another reason we'll sell him for far less than what his new clause will be because we are not PSG and have never kept players whose minds were not in the club anymore. And I don't want us ever doing that no matter how good that want-away player might be. There are more than enough quality players in the world who wants to play for Barça to keep those who prefer to be somewhere else at any cost.

Impossible buyout clauses ensure we don't get fucked over on negotiations even if a player does want to leave.

raki

It's really not greedy at all. Dembele is already making that much and Coutinho even more from what I've read. Umtiti has done so much for us already in 2 years and will be a crucial part of any success we have for the next 10 years.

If we're allocating based on performance/age/merit, then Umtiti probably deserves to be the 2nd highest paid after Messi (Busi is better/has way more merit but he's also near 30).

x2

Barcilliant

Umtiti deserves it. Key player in defense and will be for years to come.

He is such a good player that he would adapt to any style of football.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Noticed he looked a bit too relaxed in London too. If Mascherano was playing with him I would be confident he would put him in order.

Home of Barca Fans