Samuel Umtiti

Albo

Pique can be better only if he is motivated, which is not the case in half of the games.

Dunno man, Umtiti at his best is a great defender but he has been falling asleep mid-game recently, weird misplaced passes and such. Pique has been a warrior this season and he is playing with a small injury too.

El Gato

Villarato!
It's not like Barca missed Umtiti when he was injured. He is good no doubt about that but him leaving wouldn't hurt the club that much with Valverde as a manager.

Man.. if you think Verm and Mina would slot in the gap and you'd find a replacement readily.. it's quite a bit of a deluded point of view.

As for the interview, he basically joked his way through the interview. And what it spawned is people calling him a mercenary :lol:

tacticvarium

I guess the only way to achieve a mutually satisfactory solution is that we give him much bigger bonuses and variables instead of paying him €9m a season. Barça's salary cap is already not managed well and we can't make the problem worse.

Albo

Man.. if you think Verm and Mina would slot in the gap and you'd find a replacement readily.. it's quite a bit of a deluded point of view.

As for the interview, he basically joked his way through the interview. And what it spawned is people calling him a mercenary :lol:

No, hence my comment about tons of other promising centre-backs. But the fact of the matter is that while Umtiti was injured, Vermaelen replaced him with great success. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Vermaelen to fill Umtiti's place for a full season but it's not like Barca would be sitting on those 60m euros doing nothing.

FCBfan22

I think Jose is trying to pair Varane and Umtiti at United. It's a given that one of Smalling/Jones will be sold, if not both, in the summer. Varane is quite getable, it they arrange some kind of deal with Real with De Gea and him going to opposite directions. Umtiti, it depends what will come in the next months.

El Gato

Villarato!
No, hence my comment about tons of other promising centre-backs. But the fact of the matter is that while Umtiti was injured, Vermaelen replaced him with great success. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect Vermaelen to fill Umtiti's place for a full season but it's not like Barca would be sitting on those 60m euros doing nothing.

Godness me dude.. Umtiti is a great CB who could be there for upwards of 5 years. Vermaelen has a few months in him at best...

Not investing in him would be Barca's next biggest mistake. You should give him anything up to 10M

Last edited:

Albo

Godness me dude.. Umtiti is a great CB who could be there for upwards of 5 years. Vermaelen has a few months in him at best...

I never stated he wasn't a good CB and I said I don't trust Vermaelen to replace Umtiti for a full season, don't know what you are arguing.

Raketa10

I think you misunderstood [MENTION=22475]FCBfan22[/MENTION]'s post.

It's not like Barca missed Umtiti when he was injured. He is good no doubt about that but him leaving wouldn't hurt the club that much with Valverde as a manager.

We can’t rely only on Pique who is 31, injury prone Vermaelen and Mina! Of course we would miss him!!!

Albo

We can’t rely only on Pique who is 31, injury prone Vermaelen and Mina! Of course we would miss him!!!

Do you honestly think Barca would just straight up save those 60m euros and not re-invest them to other CB's?

Edit: Of course we would miss him, but it's not like him leaving would kill us like Messi & Busquets leaving would do.

Last edited:

Raki13

Would have no problem playing Mina in his position and signing another CB. Guy is way over rated on here and we don't need another greedy mercenary.

FCBfan22

It seems that everybody has forgotten about pre-injury Umtiti. He was majestic in the first half of the season, while Pique was constantly having brainfarts...

Of course it would hurt losing him, but if he decides to live life of a mercenary, that is his choice, because we fucked up with the release clause majorly.

Albo

It seems that everybody has forgotten about pre-injury Umtiti. He was majestic in the first half of the season, while Pique was constantly having brainfarts...

Of course it would hurt losing him, but if he decides to live life of a mercenary, that is his choice, because we fucked up with the release clause majorly.

Now it's the other way around :lol:

Joan

Dear mine, he is one of if not the best CB in the world. Would be hard to find a proper replacement and we should try to keep him.

Messi983

Well we are the ones to blame for this. Why the fuck do you put 60m price tag on any player? Just put 1bn and you’ll save yourself from a lot of trouble.

And yea, the guy who put 60 million release clause in his contract should be shot.

Yes, nowadays Umtiti's clause is too low and it's easy to blame the club for that but things are not that simple.

I'm sure Barça would gladly put higher clauses to all of their players contracts but how many players would sign contracts with unrealistic clauses (especially if they also don't come with much higher wages)? Players/their agents wants to keep their options open if circumstances changes. Release clauses are meant to be working in players favour so they have more negotiating power than clubs. It's La Liga's fault to not protect their clubs better and get rid of release clauses. La Liga has lost a lot of good players because of them.

It's easy to be smart in hindsight but when Umtiti signed I don't think his clause was set too low both based on his expected role in the team and market. He was signed as a backup to Masche with a HOPE to become a starter but nobody knew if he'd really make it. Other players like Digne, Cillessen, Denis who were also signed in summer 2016 have similar clauses but nobody is complaining they are too low because they have not made it as starters. Gomes and Paco have higher clauses but both wanted to get out of Valencia so they were prepared to sign contracts with higher clauses and they were also more proven at that time. Paco has played 13 games for Spain and Gomes was a starter for Portugal NT at the start of Euro 2016 before Umtiti even made his NT debut. And for that to happen he needed Mathieu's injury and Rami's suspension.

Another thing, world record transfer fee in June 2016 was 100M€ (Pogba was sold for 105M in August). Most expensive CB at that time was David Luiz and Rio Ferdinand's transfer from Leeds to United in 2002 was still second on that list. A month after we bought Umtiti City paid around 55M€ for John Stones but that was a transfer inside EPL, where prices are always inflated, especially when it comes to British players.

Umtiti's role has changed and his clause would be nowadays low even in "June 2016" market because he's now an established starter for Barça and NT and I'm sure club had plans to adress that even before last summer. But something that nobody could realistically expect was there would be a 200% inflation on the market in just one year thanks to Q$G and Neymar so now prices of almost all players have doubled which means getting Umtiti for 60M even a bigger steal than before.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this is just usual Sport BS during NT break and Umtiti will renew after World Cup or maybe even before that.

Home of Barca Fans