Why are you a Barcelona fan?

Barca8

The style, the philosophy, the city, the stadium, the history, the honor which FC Barcelona carries itself.
Growing up in the states football isn't at the forefront of major sports (despite MLS & Beckham). The only football I watched was the Euro & World Cups but I didn't become crazy about the sport until Euro 04. 1 tournament with Zidane, Puyol, Figo, v.Nistelrooy, Ballack, Beckham, Raul, Ronaldo, Davids. After the tournament I started to watch a lot of football and did a lot of research on the histories of teams and leagues. I really wanted to find a side I could call my own. Out of all the matches I saw FC Barcelona made the biggest impact. Their beautiful possesion/passing style and what Ronaldinho was doing to the opposition was insane!

I read about how this team was founded by Catalan and foreign players and would become a symbol of social equality. It wasn't the greatest team but it had a strong following and endured great oppression. Finally when Cruijff returned to Barcelona as manager he braught the Ajax philosophy of Total Football and revolutionized FCB forever. Every player at every level of the club was training and being taught 1 philosophy and style. This is why we are the only self sustained side and will always produce world class players. It was a great sight to see an all Masia produced team a few weeks ago after subs were made and our 11 were Valdes, Montoya, Pique, Puyol, Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Cesc, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta.

MES QUE UN CLUB... That's why I'm a Barca fan

raskolnikov

The style, the philosophy, the city, the stadium, the history, the honor which FC Barcelona carries itself.
Growing up in the states football isn't at the forefront of major sports (despite MLS & Beckham). The only football I watched was the Euro & World Cups but I didn't become crazy about the sport until Euro 04. 1 tournament with Zidane, Puyol, Figo, v.Nistelrooy, Ballack, Beckham, Raul, Ronaldo, Davids. After the tournament I started to watch a lot of football and did a lot of research on the histories of teams and leagues. I really wanted to find a side I could call my own. Out of all the matches I saw FC Barcelona made the biggest impact. Their beautiful possesion/passing style and what Ronaldinho was doing to the opposition was insane!

I read about how this team was founded by Catalan and foreign players and would become a symbol of social equality. It wasn't the greatest team but it had a strong following and endured great oppression. Finally when Cruijff returned to Barcelona as manager he braught the Ajax philosophy of Total Football and revolutionized FCB forever. Every player at every level of the club was training and being taught 1 philosophy and style. This is why we are the only self sustained side and will always produce world class players. It was a great sight to see an all Masia produced team a few weeks ago after subs were made and our 11 were Valdes, Montoya, Pique, Puyol, Alba, Xavi, Busquets, Cesc, Pedro, Messi, Iniesta.

MES QUE UN CLUB... That's why I'm a Barca fan

:worthy: nicely written.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Ronaldo and the portuguese group of 96: Figo, Couto, Baía and my beloved mister Robson.

abual3bed1

Luis Enrique. back in 98, I was a 9 years old kid playing Fifa 98 and once I chose Spain and Luis Enrique was a beast in that game. Started looking for anything about the man and once I knew he was a FCB player. Baam I'm a cule

Yugi

because I am gloryhunter

edit: well not really, maybe yes, who knows we all are
I just love this club because of their style and intelligence they put into game

AzaR

0-ronaldinho-rosell-laporta-chelsea-barcelona.jpg

Initially for this genius.

Watched the team ever since and have now fell in love with the club. cheesy i know

CatalinR10

Because of this guy :

I think it was the first time I saw Ronaldinho doing the elastico and I was mesmerized. I never saw anyone do this trick and in that moment I felt like Jesus appeared in front of me and gave me a high five. I think that he did that comercial right when he join Barca so I became in a second a Barca fan. At first I didn't really care so much about the team result rather than seeing Ronaldinho do his magic :lol: . I remember I was screaming all the time to give the ball to Ronaldinho so he could do something magical and I was heart broken when he left Barcelona and didn't watch a game for a month or two because of this but I understood in the end that it was best for both sides that he should leave. It's almost 10 years since I'm in love with this club and I'm privileged to have seen Ronaldinho , Messi , Iniesta , Xavi , Puyol , Henry ,Eto'o , Busquets and all the great players Barca had . :worthy:

La LL

Generally Delightful
A lot of things really. I've always loved Spain and I've spent time there every year of my life (my parents had a summer house in Malaga and later in Mallorca). I spent maybe between 1-2 months a year, every year in Spain. On top of that, my dad's primary business partners were from Barcelona so it involved a great deal of traveling to and from Spain. I grew up in a family where everyone spoke Spanish (grandparents, parents) and obsessed about Spanish style food. Hell, my mom went to Barcelona while pregnant with me and I was two days away from being born in Barcelona.

Like many other members I really didn't give a rat's ass about football for many years. Sure I knew about Laudrup and the Dream Team era. We danish people have a weird tradition of taking pride in any achievement where a dane was involved (or half-dane... or even anyone of danish descent) be it Metallica (Lars Ulrich), Dream Team (Laudrup) or Scarlett Johansson's boobs (her dad for supplying the sperm). My granddad would always watch football (I think he was a fan of Madrid and Manchester United) but I never got it. It wasn't until a good friend of mine invited me out to watch a Man U game at a bar with a healthy dosage of beer that I started to "get" football. I went home thinking I should really start to get some sports passion in my life. I turned on the TV one day and decided to watch Barcelona because 'the name sounded familiar". I was just hooked. The passing, the goals, the discipline, the spirit. Since then I've never managed to watch a full game where Barcelona wasn't involved (national teams aside). This might change however because I really want to watch the upcoming Madrid-Man U game.

Science Kid

I was a big fan of Hristo Stoichkov and his Bulgarian generation so i started following his team career.I watched the 4:0 final against Milan,was pretty upset about it and the seeds were planted. :)

DivineVisitor

The Right One ⇩
Messi restored my love for the game.

I used to watch alot of football, my Dad was a professional Referee in Scotland and has had the honour of officiating European matches.

We used to attend Den's Park for Dundee's (our home team) home matches regularly and i would follow him to Ibrox, Parkhead etc when he was working. Scottish football however took a downward turn (which it's still not recovered from) and i lost all interest and love for the game. I would only tune into the World Cup or Euros.

In 2006 my Dad encouraged me to keep an eye on Argentina (who have always had a special place in the heart of all Scot's) and a young Lionel Messi. I watched every Argentina match and was captivated. I needed to see more. The player i last admired this much was Ronaldo (the real Ronaldo) but i didn't get the opportunity to watch him week in week out like i would have wanted and i was determined that wouldn't happen again.

So from the 2006-2007 season i have watched Barca religiously. I also admire the background behind the club and see some similarities between the Catalan nation and that of Scotland which only endears the region to me more.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You become a fan just like you fall in love. You start with superficial reasons and in most cases it's because you are impressed with an individual player. For some it's the city or even club's colors. In time you come to learn more about the club and it grows on you further.
I liked Hristo too and he was one of the key reasons I started watching Barca. Didn't know how Barca were doing in La Liga or how many cups they've won. I was a kid and only wanted to know everything about Hristo at that time.

Home of Barca Fans